Author Topic: Second Kibler Rifle complete  (Read 30005 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Second Kibler Rifle complete
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
Cool - I can't even get MY kids to mow the lawn - I'm sure we can work something out...

Interesting, I can see a wonderful example of a picture-perfect incentive right off the bat - mow the law EVERY time it needs it or lose the rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 11:52:24 PM »
Thanks Dad, can I call you Dad? By the way, you said you rubbed 10 coats of oil on the stock. It's beautiful, but not as shiny as I would expect for 10 coats. What kind did you use? You did an outstanding job. It's still hard to believe that rifle and others shown off came from a kit!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:09 AM »
That rifle should get you way more than the lawn mowed ;)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 01:30:40 AM »
Thanks Dad, can I call you Dad? By the way, you said you rubbed 10 coats of oil on the stock. It's beautiful, but not as shiny as I would expect for 10 coats. What kind did you use? You did an outstanding job. It's still hard to believe that rifle and others shown off came from a kit!

I break down the coats with Burlap - and hand rub them in until they start to dry - IMO - On any wood with pronounced grain, the deeper the clear coat, the better the reflection and the grain results. The 10 coats with breaking them down probably equal 3-4 regular coats, yet every scratch, edge, grain and (with Walnut) pinhole is filled in depth.

Bring it up to a finish, and take it down almost to the wood, then wait a few days (a week if needed) and do it again. dry to the touch and little or no smell for the next coat. small sections, using surgical gloves, rub it in until the friction warmth starts to harden the coating. a few days later, take it down with some Burlap, Wash, rinse, repeat.

I actually use Minwax Antique wood oil for my finishes, I can throttle the luster from dull to gloss and it's HARD stuff when fully dried. I can't say for any other brand or home made formula (and have no bias), but I have been using this for 30 years or so, so I am a believer. Walnut takes a different approach, as the first two coats get put on by 600 grit sandpaper - yes - the finish is applied by wet and dry sandpaper, the micro flakes of wood that are created by the "sanding" fill the end grain of the Walnut and make a glass smooth surface. (you saw that on my .36) and my other non Flintlock projects that also have Walnut stocks.

I was lucky with the Iron Nitrate, First time and pretty nervous - After I applied it, It looked like a piece of driftwood when it dried, I was kind of shocked, but I have a Hobby heat gun (used to shrink plastic covering for airplanes) and I started to heat it and it started to turn Brown - it does need heat, lots of it - and I thought almost too much, but it changes like a 1970's mood ring... :) - -

When that is done, it's still brown muddy, sand with 300 then 600 dry paper, and wet the stock with water and you will be amazed - the more you sand, the sharper the dark curl gets.. I sanded 4-5 times on this rifle, stained it with thinned stain, sanded with 1000 grit and then applied the finish. It's cool that the curl flows with the angle the sun hits it...Must be the iron Nitrate..

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:32:16 AM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 01:49:30 AM »
Exceptional piece of wood aside, you did yourself proud with that finnish. It's amazing what talent and patience can turn a chunk of wood into. Let's hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Offline mikeyr

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »
I am not a fan of brown furniture, I was thinking of other options, I really liked the grey color you did the other rifle in and tried to replicate it without much success.  I had not thought of leaving it in the white, that I can do easily.  Still would prefer some protection like the grey but I was not happy with the finish I got the first time I tried.  I know, I know. if at first you don't succeed, try try again.  But leaving it in the white looks really good.

Terrified to try a little inlay too but I think I will
...let's finish a rifle I started back in the 70's...

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 02:14:02 AM »
VERY nice.     Did you thin the Minwax antique oil before applying it? 

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:46 AM »
I'm considering fire blueing the barrel and furniture on mine.  Lock to be left in the white.  
I have a traditions pistol barrel that I will use as my practice barrel for fire blueing first.  Don't really care if the pistol barrel turns out badly.  It will be my practice barrel for several tasks, such as engraving my name, inletting a silver nameplate, and maybe some other things like coning and a maker's stamp.

I have to admit though, Kingsburyarms gun in the white looks really nice and might tempt me to do the same.  

Cheers,
Norm

Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »
VERY nice.     Did you thin the Minwax antique oil before applying it? 

no - right out of the can, I just put on surgical gloves and hand rub the oil into the wood, If left on too thick, it will be more shiny, If you rub it in, it will start to dull down, just focus on small areas then move on to the next area - the oil blends well, and make sure it's dry before you start the second coat - as it will "melt" the first coat if it's not set. If I put it on too heavy, I can always wipe it down with a clean lint free rag (old T shirt) or towel when it is still wet to kill the "gloss".

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »
Kingsburyarms,
You did a fantastic job on this rifle! My wife is going to try and get me one of Jim's kits for Christmas and we were wondering what level of wood did you order for this rifle. I love the wood and you did a fantastic job on finishing it. Thanks for sharing and good luck. Keep it up.
elkhorne

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
Thank you!!! - - I ordered the .40 Caliber Kit and selected "Extra Fancy Maple" when I was choosing options. It was an upgrade and had an additional cost. (there are three choices of Maple in the "shopping cart") and this is what Jim sent.  

I know every piece is different and you never really know how it will eventually look - but if it comes from Jim, it will be of very high quality. The cool part about Jim is you can always give him a call and discuss what you want, (Light curl, Crazy curl etc...) his direct number is on his website and he is one of the most kind and thoughtful gentlemen to talk to.  Katherine is also a wonderful person to chat with, very qualified and brilliant on the wood, parts and finishes, and she can also help out if you want something particular, or have a question.

I actually called him about how he applies the Iron Nitrate, and just like a fireside chat, he walked me through how he does it, and you see the results above - Maybe you can even ask him to add a scrap piece of wood to practice on the finish...

Jon
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:17:44 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 01:20:52 AM »
Real nice work.  Those sure are nice slim rifles.

Offline Doc

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 11:56:59 PM »
I was noticing that profile also!!  Really looking forward to getting my first.  Supposed to arrive on Saturday!!!

Doc

Offline Mick C

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
That is one spectacular rifle-gun.  Thanks for sharing....Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
Went up to northern NH last weekend and Met David Price and family for a little shooting. With my son - this was his first chance to fire a flintlock. Fun had by all - David hit a PERFECT bullseye at 25 yards on his second shot with this rifle - Did a little tuning to the lock (Frizzen spring was a little tight) but a fine shooter.

These rifles are well built, well manufactured and accurate. Now both my sons have a "legacy" they can keep and hand down -

Back to my 100 other projects! - Thank you again Jim and David.

Offline Longone

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:17 PM »
So if I'm reading this thread correctly the metal is cleaned up and not treated at all?  Do you put a little oil of some sort or just allow it to "naturally age"?  How do you keep it from getting rust spots or worse? 

Longone

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 02:15:01 AM »
Kingsbury,
Mine should get shipped out tomorrow or so. 

Don't know how much work I'll be able to do on it for the next while.  We have visitors here for a the next 4 weeks and I've just agreed to build a playhouse for my daughter (dummy!) .  Maybe this will motivate me to get up early for once! 

Doc,
I'd like to see pictures of yours when you can.  Hope you are having fun with it!

I'm quite interested to see the Chamber's lock as well.  I want to compare the mainspring tension to my other Chamber's lock.  I'm still working on that kit, and I had to buy a replacement mainspring since I broke the original one (dummy, again...).  Seems to me that the replacement is very strong.  I apologize if this has strayed massively off topic. 

Anyway, banana patchbox for the Kibler kit is here, and I have plenty of pewter for the nose cap.  That will be it for embellishment.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
So if I'm reading this thread correctly the metal is cleaned up and not treated at all?  Do you put a little oil of some sort or just allow it to "naturally age"?  How do you keep it from getting rust spots or worse? 

Longone

Longone,

The metal is in the bright (no finish except draw filed and slightly polished). Now - there is a coating on the metal, and it will not rust, darken or corrode. the lock, trigger guard, but plate and barrel are all the same way.

Offline Billy Mike

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »
Mine is being shipped today. It's been a really great day. I got permission to hunt coyotes on a farm I had been campaigning to hunt. I'm hopeful it will lead to turkeys and deer. I think it's likely.

Also the news from Katherine really made my day. Then there's this thread with all the specific Kibler info, knowledge and life is very good.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:07 AM »
As long  as it's not a Turkey farm, you should be OK - PLEASE make a build thread with your rifle, steal this one if you want (by just continuing it) and give updates - There are a few builders of this rifle on the forums now, and a ton of help and advice if you need it -

Yes, Katherine does rock... They make a Great team.

Jon

Offline Billy Mike

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 01:13:31 AM »
As long  as it's not a Turkey farm, you should be OK - PLEASE make a build thread with your rifle, steal this one if you want (by just continuing it) and give updates - There are a few builders of this rifle on the forums now, and a ton of help and advice if you need it -

Yes, Katherine does rock... They make a Great team.

Jon

Well, it's more of a ranch, than a farm. He raises cattle and rides a horse to roam the fences. The turkeys are wild. Dumb, but wild.

I will make an effort to show my progress. Be forewarned, I'm the world's worst photographer. And advice will be sought. Much, well all, of the reason I had to have the kit, was it's so much closer to finished than the others and it's a .45.

The ones showcased here are beauts.

Katherine and Jim seem like very fine people.

Offline mikeyr

• Starting Member
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 07:34:25 PM »
The metal is in the bright (no finish except draw filed and slightly polished). Now - there is a coating on the metal, and it will not rust, darken or corrode. the lock, trigger guard, but plate and barrel are all the same way.
I am confused, you say the metal is in the bright with no finish but then say there is a coating on the metal, what is the coating.  I was thinking of just polish and wax to keep mine from rusting, of course light coat of oil over the wax too.
...let's finish a rifle I started back in the 70's...

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
I'll PM you

Offline Doc

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 05:15:14 AM »
Do we need to designate this thread as the "Kibler build thread", or would it be better not to hijack this and start a new open thread for new builds and pictures???

Doc

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
Just opened mine up a few minutes ago.  Yikes! that is nice. 
I took just a few minutes marveling at the wooden box and how everything is laid out.  Incredible. 
Beautiful piece of  curly maple (thanks Katherine!)

I've got a few free hours, so I'll at least get the barrel in the stock to stabilize it. 

Wonderful work Jim and Katherine!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA