Author Topic: Lancaster Longrifle Display  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Lancaster Longrifle Display
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
Spoke to Mac Spencer yesterday and he said that the Kentucky Rifle Foundation is sponsoring a display of Lancaster Longrifles at his show next month.  This will be a good opportunity to view some great original Lancaster rifles up close and personal.  This is an open show, so everyone is invited. Here's the information about it, I understand it's sold out, so it should be a good one.

7th Annual Eastern Longrifle Show
September 16th and 17th 2016
Holiday Inn
6170 Morgantown Road
Morgantown, Pa 19543

Big Wolf

Re: Lancaster Longrifle Display
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
Might have to drive up for this one

Offline VP

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
One of best things gunbuilders can do is to visit these type of venues. Seeing these rifles up close and personnel and taking photographs of the various attributes of these rifles can help you become a better gun stocker. There is something about seeing how truly slim and trim they are in person that can't be gained from a photograph. This show is mostly antique rifles but also is being held in conjunction with the CLA as an outlet for contemporary builders as well. So not only will you see some great Lancaster rifles but also the works on gunsmiths like Mark Wheland and Tim Williams and hornsmiths like Art DeCamp. Not a show to be missed.

VP

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:14:13 PM »
I agree with Van, there are certain nuances about original longrifles that can only be seen by viewing them first hand and at different angles. If you haven't had much exposure to the real thing, this is your chance.

Offline VP

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
The Eastern Longrifle show we have mentioned above is going to be the place to see Lancaster made rifles. As of today a total of 15 rifles will be displayed for visitors and table holders pleasure. The list includes rifles by Jacob Dickert, Matthias Hoak, (3) Melchoir Fordney, Jacob Metzger, J. Grass, Christian Gumpf, Abraham Schweitzer, Jacob Haeffer, (2)Jacob Dickert, B. D. Gill, Dreppert and the possibility of a few more. Pictures are normally allowed along with some inspection with proper handling. The show hours are Friday, the 16th, from 9 to 5 and Saturday from 8 to 2. The show is at the Holiday Inn off the Morgantown, PA exit of the Turnpike. Not a show to be missed.

VP

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
The show and display starts tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM, anybody coming?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:21:20 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
Would much prefer attending the show than having to meet with my surgeon  :-\ Mac has a good show, don't miss it if you can help it.
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:43:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
I'll be going Saturday, been waiting, can't wait.

Dennis, hope all is well.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Going to talk with a orthopedic surgeon about repairing my spinal stenosis to see what he can do about it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 03:57:41 AM »
Hope the Doctor can help you Dennis, I have back issues too, it sure takes some of the enjoyment out of life.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 04:25:23 AM »
I plan to drive out tomorrow.
Kunk

Offline cable

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:21 AM »
Going to talk with a orthopedic surgeon about repairing my spinal stenosis to see what he can do about it.
Dennis

of course spinal work [ injections etc ] is much of what I do, but I too have had spinal stenosis.   finally had a definitive surgery and fusion  in summer 2010, and can happily report vast improvement.  recovery was quite fast for me.   cant do the heavy lifting etc I used to do, but no more daily pain and weakness.    choosing your surgeon carefully is critical, finding one who does enough but no more than is needed.  good luck Dennis.

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 02:46:52 AM »
The Lancaster Longrifle display was wonderful.  It also included an early JP Beck, and a John Hagey. 

I thought this quite an excellent show, and has now grown into a 2nd room.  Most longrifles on display were originals, and varied from rough to museum quality.  Many were for sale, but some were for display only.

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
Thanks to Dennis and the ALR for posting the Eastern Pennsylvania Longrifle Show on this site and to the
 Kentucky Rifle Foundation for the great "Lancaster County Made"  rifle display, 16 of the best were out for close up viewing and to the Contemporary Longrifle Ass. for there co-sponsorship. 
For all of the table holders thank you for your support, KRA, ALR, CLA members and collectors that attended thank you, only with your support can these events continue.
Show had 82 tables and 200+ attendees.
The JP Beck was made in Lebanon Twp. part of Lancaster Co. per owner and the John Haga (Hagi, Hagey) was a Lancaster gunsmith.
For all that view this site please support all of the antique arms show remaining.

Mac

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
For all that view this site please support all of the antique arms show remaining.
Mac,
Thanks for putting the show on, lots of hard work that attendee's don't see.

For all our ALR member's as well as CLA/KRA members. These Longrifle shows need our support in order for the sponsors to continue holding them. For you "old guys", consider inviting younger people (that you think would have interest) to go with you to one of the shows. Our passion needs new blood if we are to survive.

If you have an interest in long rifles and are concerned about attending  "closed" shows don't be afraid to contact the person running the show. They almost always will suggest ways for you to attend, as a guest of another member or as a recognized student of the American Long Rifle.

Dennis

Offline VP

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 03:05:50 AM »
I was able to take a few photos of some of the rifles in the "Lancaster Longrifle Display", including the Beck and Haga. I will be posting these on the Kentucky Rifle  Foundation's Facebook page over the next few months. I think you will see what a fantastic display that was presented.

VP