Author Topic: "Fire lapping" a round ball barrel? Fixed it!  (Read 12364 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: "Fire lapping" a round ball barrel? Fixed it!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
I'm glad the re-crown worked for you Roger. A 'nice' crown is so easy to do and makes such a huge difference in how a snug combination fits itself into the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 07:45:38 PM »
Thanks, Daryl.  I really get nervous fooling around with crowns.  Always afraid that I will foul up a barrel, but that one couldn't get much worse.  I never had a barrel that didn't shoot well from Bill Large.  I did have one once that had eight flats but wasn't close to octagonal :o.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Thanks, Daryl.  I really get nervous fooling around with crowns.  Always afraid that I will foul up a barrel, but that one couldn't get much worse.  I never had a barrel that didn't shoot well from Bill Large.  I did have one once that had eight flats but wasn't close to octagonal :o.
Roger B.

Yeah - LOL - about those flats - I ALWAYS had to re-draw file my Bauska barrels to a true octagonal shape, but shoot they did- learned about the smooth radius crown when I had the TC with .004" rifling. In order to get a .495" ball and .022" patch down, the crown had to be smooth and nicely radiused - easy (for me) loading and REALLY good accuracy  about an inch at 50yards off a rest using 80 to 90gr. 2F.  That TC barrel & Bauska's .50's did not like the 1970's 3F by any maker.

If one keeps turning the gun while grinding the crown, it MUST come out perfectly centered!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V