Author Topic: powder horn lathe  (Read 8592 times)

Mike B

powder horn lathe
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:13:40 PM »
Howdy folks........my first post and it begins with a question.  I intend to purchase a small hobby lathe for turning the circular and ornated end plugs for powder horns and perhaps the spout ends as well.  Would appreciate some recommendations.  I haven't used one since..............well never mind how long.  thanks.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: powder horn lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:41:35 AM »
I have a small Shop Fox with a variable speed motor -- does a good job - no complaints so far and I've had it 5 years now.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 01:25:46 AM »
I have a Grizzly and it has been doing a great job for about 6 years. You want as much speed variation as you can get.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:46:20 AM »
Have a Steel City, used weekly for over 10 yes now,
Zero issues
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
Mike, Welcome to ALR. Years ago, I purchased a Delta Midi. Over the years, I have replaced the drive belt two times. A good compliment to the lathe was a chuck with changeable jaws. Hope this helps. Jerry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 03:04:52 PM »
Mike, Welcome to ALR. Years ago, I purchased a Delta Midi. Over the years, I have replaced the drive belt two times. A good compliment to the lathe was a chuck with changeable jaws. Hope this helps. Jerry

I have seen a lot of lathes, both for metal working and wood working but NEVER
have heard of a
Powder Horn Lathe". Can someone post a picture of such a machine????

Bob Roller

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
If you want something small, look at the 7x12 metal lathes. They cost more than the mini class wood lathes, but they are more versatile. I use mine for wood all the time. The controlls on the lathe work very well for wood and you can mount a rest on the compound for using turning chisels when needed for free hand work.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:43:56 PM by 44-henry »

Spinner

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
I have a simple JET mini lathe that I have used for everything from turning horn plugs to making other wood/horn combinations as well as traditional wood items. It will also turn shapes from brass if I work slowly.

I would love to upgrade to the newest JET mini that offers a speed control down to 50 RPM, which would be perfect for turning powder horn threads, necks, and equalizing the diameter at the base.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 08:02:16 PM »
 I use a Rikon Mini lathe, it is about 10 years old, never had a problem with it. 12' inch swing, 16" working distance between centers, speed from 430-3900 adjustable via belt. I have turned everything that I ever wanted to on it.
 Also...I turn everything at 430rpm, never saw the need to go any faster. Keep you tools sharp.
 A 1/2" Jacobs chuck, an adjustable 4 jaw chuck and a Pen turning mandrel will help with your horn turning.

Tim C.

eseabee1

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
There are plenty of lathes out there I have had lathes from Grizzly , Jet , Penn State industries, Rikon , Its all in what you want and can afford if on a budget and want a good lathe go with Penn State Industries . They are good quality at a affordable price .

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »
Good topic.  Spinner, those are some nice items!
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Spinner

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
Thanks, Bones. The point is that you don't need a big, or expensive lathe to create a lot of neat things.  You'll spend your money in tools and accessories, believe me. The 12" swing of the mini-lathe allows me to make everything I want to do - even a small butter churn.

As said above, I just wish I had that slow speed option to turn threads for powder horns and other objects.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
have seen a lot of lathes, both for metal working and wood working but NEVER
have heard of a
Powder Horn Lathe". Can someone post a picture of such a machine?

Bob...here are plans and pictures for a powder horn lathe...
http://www.livinghistoryshop.com/18th-century-tools/purpose-built-spring-pole-lathe-for-making-powder-horns/

and more about it from the horners guild:
http://blog.hornguild.org/category/spring-pole-lathe-project

tc
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:34:44 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Mike B

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:15 AM »
Gentlemen,
Lots of very good suggestions.  I will research and price accordingly.  Thanks for your input.  BTW, T.C.  I saw that article for the old time lathe.  Geez, that is one facet of colonial culture I'd have to pass on.  @!*% thing would take up half my garage.
Cheers.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
As said above, I just wish I had that slow speed option to turn threads for powder horns and other objects.

You don't need a late to thread horns or tips. Take a look at the threading Pix in this post:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=13901.msg130825#msg130825

Tim C.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:09:48 PM by Tim Crosby »