Author Topic: A masterpiece rifle  (Read 33815 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: A masterpiece rifle
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 05:16:26 PM »
Flinter--  Thanks for the comment!  To work with my hands and make beautiful things , from guns to jewelry, is my "joy"in life - if other people get pleasure out of seeing and using what I make, that's a bonus! You have added a bonus to my day!   :)            Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Marty

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
All Hail Mr. Hugh!!

If i come mow your yard and wash your car, will you teach me to do that?

A very impressed and humble Marty

Flinter

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
Flinter--  Thanks for the comment!  To work with my hands and make beautiful things , from guns to jewelry, is my "joy"in life - if other people get pleasure out of seeing and using what I make, that's a bonus! You have added a bonus to my day!   :)            Hugh Toenjes

In the 18th century, if this is the correct time period, the people of that day thought humor was a body fluid. Hence the term we use now, “He has a dry sense of humor.”
I am glad you realized my comment was a complement.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:23:19 PM by Flinter »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »
Hugh, Ive been spending so much time looking at the pictures I forgot to post an eye bulging comment.  Right now I'd have to say that it's among the most amazing works of Longrifle art I've ever laid eyes on.  I mean, what else is there to say?!   Flintr (without the "e")
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Flinter

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »
Hugh, Ive been spending so much time looking at the pictures I forgot to post an eye bulging comment.  Right now I'd have to say that it's among the most amazing works of Longrifle art I've ever laid eyes on.  I mean, what else is there to say?!   Flintr (without the "e")

Flintr, you have to understand that I am from arkansas.

best regardes  ;D

Mikie

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 02:40:27 AM »
 ::)  I've caught myself reading your post & thinking, "I...I...don't remember this!  Maybe I got a little gray matter left.  He, he, he.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 04:10:24 AM »
Marty ---Thanks for the compliment and You wouldn't have to that to for me to teach you a few things.  When I said that I had a few "shop secrets" which I would only share if one came to my shop- it was an open invitation to any,ALR,CLA KRA member or anyone who has a sincere desire to learn the "finer" points of, muzzle loading, gun making to come and see me in my new shop near Custer in the Black Hills SD. You might even be invited to enjoy a BBQ Elk steak for supper. :P  Only one requirement --call first! 605-673-4072.       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 07:27:36 AM »
Flinter & Flintr---- thanks for the comments--my 7&3/8 Stetson really is getting tight now!? ;D        Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Flinter

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »
::)  I've caught myself reading your post & thinking, "I...I...don't remember this!  Maybe I got a little gray matter left.  He, he, he.

Uh-Oh! I thought you were making fun of me and my spelling.  ;D

Hugh, if your 7&3/8 Stetson is getting tight from my actions, I apologize, but if it is growing tight according Jim Beam…well, I can understand that too.

I think 46 of those are mine.
You are distinguished from others in excellence Hugh.

Mike

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »
Hugh.....maybe I can make your hat fit a little better.   The talent and work on that rifle is just outstanding, but, I have
some problems with it.    To me, it is a very "generic" kentucky rifle.  Maybe that is what you set out to do, something of
your own design to impress the powers of the gunmakers guild.  Why didn't you pick out one of the great, elaborate
kentuckies...an Armstrong, Verner, or a fancy Lehigh, or do what Monte Mandarino was doing....take a gun right out of
the "French Gunsmith Design" book, that would have displayed your silver wire inlay ability to the extreme.  As you can
see, I am more of a traditionalist.  There is one other thing that I find hard to believe that you did........you put a halfsole
on the frizzen, on that fabulous fancy gun...somehow, this just doesn't fit in.  I think if I was looking at one of Mark Silvers
rifles and asked him if the frizzen was half-soled, it would give him an immediate case of the hives.  I know, I'm picky, but
I do wish I had some of your talent.....I don't do silver wire stuff because it would be terrible, same goes for my engraving.....but, barn guns, ha.............Don

Flinter

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
Hugh.....maybe I can make your hat fit a little better.   The talent and work on that rifle is just outstanding, but, I have
some problems with it.    To me, it is a very "generic" kentucky rifle.  Maybe that is what you set out to do, something of
your own design to impress the powers of the gunmakers guild.  Why didn't you pick out one of the great, elaborate
kentuckies...an Armstrong, Verner, or a fancy Lehigh, or do what Monte Mandarino was doing....take a gun right out of
the "French Gunsmith Design" book, that would have displayed your silver wire inlay ability to the extreme.  As you can
see, I am more of a traditionalist.  There is one other thing that I find hard to believe that you did........you put a halfsole
on the frizzen, on that fabulous fancy gun...somehow, this just doesn't fit in.  I think if I was looking at one of Mark Silvers
rifles and asked him if the frizzen was half-soled, it would give him an immediate case of the hives.  I know, I'm picky, but
I do wish I had some of your talent.....I don't do silver wire stuff because it would be terrible, same goes for my engraving.....but, barn guns, ha.............Don

Don, I have to disagree with you. For instance, although Mark Silver is a master gunsmith, he basically copies someone else’s work, such as Armstrong, Verner, or a fancy Lehigh rifle. Even a commoner like myself can examine a rifle, and without looking at the maker’s name, will say, “Hey, Fred Riley built this rifle.” Although you mentioned, “…something of your own design…” I thing the greatest challenge of a master gunsmith is to create their own school. Now, if this tightens up your hat band, I cannot help it, and I doubt very seriously you wear a Stetson.  ;)

Flint
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:28:05 PM by Flinter »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
No offense taken Flinter.   I guess we all have our likes and dislikes.  I guess I am just a more traditional gun guy, and I
like great copies of old guns.   There is no denying that Hugh has a heck of a lot of talent, and the work on that gun is
outstanding.  But, in view of the fact that he can do such an outstanding job, here I go again, why would anyone put a
halfsole on a frizzen on a gun of this calibre (I don't mean bore size)?  A gun this fancy might never be shot.  I know, I'm
nit picking, that's how some of us get when we get old..sorry.............Don

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
I'm right there with you Don, it is a fabulous 20th century gun.
DMR

projeeper

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:02 AM »
i,ve waited to post something and still can,t find words,i guess WOW! says it all.
Thank You for sharing it with us 

Flinter

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 04:28:54 AM »
No offense taken Flinter.   I guess we all have our likes and dislikes.  I guess I am just a more traditional gun guy, and I
like great copies of old guns.   There is no denying that Hugh has a heck of a lot of talent, and the work on that gun is
outstanding.  But, in view of the fact that he can do such an outstanding job, here I go again, why would anyone put a
halfsole on a frizzen on a gun of this calibre (I don't mean bore size)?  A gun this fancy might never be shot.  I know, I'm
nit picking, that's how some of us get when we get old..sorry.............Don

Well Don, I knew it was going to happen. I completely missed your point. I know from first hand experience what you mean about mixing contemporary with the 18 century architecture, and this has nothing to do with old age. When I was a young man, I took all my flintlock books to a master gunsmith’s shop. Details were gone over about what I wanted. Everything was going fine until we got to the sights. I wanted the rear sight to be low, a small notch, and a half circle facing the front sight. The front sight was to be 1/16th and not over 1/8th inch high. We got into an argument, because he wanted to put contemporary sights on it. He got so aggravated that he picked up a rifle and placed the rear sight four inches forward of the rear ramrod pipe and said, “Would you like it here?” Them, he moved it back to the lock and said, “Or… would you rather have it here?” To me, some ideas are OK, and other contemporary items are completely out of place.
Don, you know more about flintlocks than I will ever know. I am here to learn from you and all the other fine people on this board.

Mike

Flinter

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
Hey projeeper, the title says it all, " A masterpiece rifle."

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
Ok guys,  Now I am starting to sweat!      Am I in danger of being numbered with the "inlines"!? ;D      Hugh Toenjes             P.S.    More later

H.T.

Offline duca

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:20 AM »
 :oNICCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
One further item to mention regarding the "masterpiece rifle" is that the total number of bench hrs. added up to 6,000!--3,000 for the gun and 3,000 for the case and accessories.  This project did not happen over a two week period!!  In actual fact the rifle alone took 3 yrs. of bench time working fulltime 11 months per yr. :o       Hugh Toenjes
Using only needle files?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
 Mr. Brooks--- worn out needle files and a dull hack saw!? ;D      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
I gotta tell you Hugh I'd turn into an axe murderer if I spent three years on a gun..... 80 hours will get me pretty surely. :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 05:28:15 AM »
Mike-- I never said that I was the fastest bunny in the woods--- remember the story about the tortoise and the hare??!!  "Faster" is not necessarily "better"! ;)      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
I have to confess, I'm a traditionalist at heart, but that's still one fine rifle.  QUITE fancy, but still tasteful; not over-the-top.

Great work Hugh,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
"Faster" is not necessarily "better"!
Sure helps when i need to eat or pay the bills ;)....If it took me three years to build a gun I'd never get it done as I'd starve to death long before it was finished.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Jeff-- thanks for the good word!  Believe it or not I also am a "traditionalist" ! if not I would be  making another type of gun the kind that begins with the letter "I" and ends the the letter "E". For fear of offending someone I won't even say the word out loud! I won't even use the substitute powders for the guns that I make and I recommend only true "Blackpowder" be used for "any traditional" muzzle-loader. Also in my shop I have a little sign that reads " I specialize in LOW TECH". I do not possess the latest machines and "high tech" equipment to produce what I do. Last year I was introduced to the latest tech. in pneumatic graver's.  I bought one--- it is still in the box and will most likely remain there for a good long time.. ya.. I don't know why I bought the darn thing! I have always used a hammer and chisel for engraving and probably always will!  :-\    Enough already,    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.