Author Topic: Old Eyes, special glasses perhaps?  (Read 19206 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Old Eyes, special glasses perhaps?
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
I can't see the back sight with my trifocal glasses, I actually see two blurry versions of them, one on top of the other when I am trying to shoot.

Has anyone looked into special glasses just for shooting that be more forgiving for us older guys?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Old Eyes, special glasses perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:38:43 PM »
Eric,

I've had good luck just using a light magnification reading glasses.  Not enough power to distort distance, but enough to clear up rear sight. 
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »
"I can't see the back sight with my trifocal glasses, I actually see two blurry versions of them, one on top of the other when I am trying to shoot."

That is how open rear sights have always looked to me.  Even as a kid with 20:12 vision.  It is expected.

You can never focus on three things at once.........Focus on the front sight.  Some young guys rapidly change the focus from the two sights and the target.  They trick themselves into believing that they really see all three in focus.  If you want all in focus use an aperature rear sight.  

Move the rear sight foreward and use a thicker front blade, that will help.

You could try "computer glasses".  The focal length is set for about 3'.  The front sight will look good but the target will be worse.  I am having the same issues.  A rear sight that is a slot and lets a sliver of light by on each side of the blade is working for now.  I shoot with my distance glasses.  I accept the sights will be blurry.  I concentrate on squeeze and follow through thather than perfect aim.  It works pretty  well. Not flinching is super important.  

A friend who shoots with progressive lenses is always tilting his head to make the sights look perfect. His shooting had gotten much worse, and slow.  He used to shoot really well.

"Focus on the front sight" Say that over and over until you believe.  : )  

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:13:28 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »
Going to give some of these a try. Should have them next week. Sounds like they will do the trick.

https://sspeyewear.com/collections/bifocals/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

BradCayton

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 04:19:22 AM »
I have the same issue. I just shoot my trade gun which doesn't have a rear sight. Problem solved ;D.  Honestly, I shoot my smoothbore as well as my rifles anymore as I just can't see my sights on the rifles clearly now.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 04:49:17 AM »
I dont wear glasses, but at 62, I can't focus on my sights very well. I solved my problem by adding an adjustable iris to my shooting glasses. I bought a microscope iris online, and stuck it on my glasses with double stick tape. Does wonders for my depth of view.

when adjusted down to the smallest hole that works in the light conditions, I can clearly see the front and rear sights and the target. Takes some getting used to, but certainly improved my shooting.

Chuck

Glasses by okawbow, on Flickr

Glasses by okawbow, on Flickr
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 05:36:03 AM »
There are so many of us(old eyes) that this subject of not being able to see the sights any more comes up all too often. I just got back from a fall bear hunt in some real dense woods and found that I lost my sights to the light almost an hour before legal shooting light. On the way out of the thick stuff I usualy came across a clear cut or two and would be able to see my sight when I got more light on the rear sight notch. Getting home I wasted no time opening up that notch and hope it helps when I go on my next hunt in the thick stuff. Hudson Bay and the Pasquea hills here I come.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
Diopters and peep sights work.  I have wondered about pinhole glasses.  Never tried them.  I see they are cheap. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »
Eric,
Give Michael a call at Decot Sport Glasses.
800-528-1901.
They have made my shooting glasses for 35 yrs and understand what we need. I have really bad eyes, which then became " aging eyes" and they made accommodation to my street wear prescription that allows me to shoot iron sighted rifles and handguns.
This isn't a "quickie- cheap" alternative, but they do a great job and offer top quality service and products.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
I got one of those Merit stick on your glasses optics....not exactly the miracle that I had hoped for. :-\
 I'm working on a deer rifle right now for myself, good solid ca. 1770 english park rifle. It is going to have those funky modern sights with the glowing fiber optic rods. I'm not too excited about that but I MUST figure out something I can see or just start slapping scopes on all my guns.  I can actually see the fiber optic sights on my neighbor's inline gun so I'm going to give them a try to help keep me in the game. I can't even work up a load for my squirrel rifle off a bench because I just can't see the sights well enough to shoot consistently. VERY aggravating.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
Just finished a squirrel rifle and am having the same problem, this is why I started the thread.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »
I am lucky and like Dane, just use a pair of .75 diopter reading glasses.  They clarify the sights enough for me to be precise, so I am still able at 67 to be competitive.  At the BC Rendezvous a couple weeks ago, and during the plank shoot, I was able to shoot a nearly perfect score with 9 out of 10 head shots on the turkey at 50 meters.  It was gratifying.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »
I count myself fortunate in that I will be turning 64 in 2 months and just now have lost the vision for iron sights. To be precise a rear sight cut 10" or closer is now impossible. However on my .40 I cut the rear dovetail at 15" foreseeing the loss of good vision and I can still see  it well enough to shoot really tight groups.
In past years I've done some experimenting on a couple of solutions; I tried the fiber optics. I can see that front sight really good in the dark woods. However the ones I tried was mostly some kind of plastic and the rear blade would move with a moderate amount of pressure. I shot behind a doe at 20 yards from a solid rest, couldn't figure it out at first then I noticed where the blade was. By pushing real hard with my thumb it would move. So off they came.
I also made a simple mount for a peep sight that sits just over where the plug contacts the barrel. I think it will work well but I don't have any front sights high enough to sight it in yet. I have used a sight height calculater and will make a new front sight in the next few days. I've shot it with some sights I have on hand and I can shoot well with it but I couldn't sight in the elevation.
This is with a C profile .54 barrel and swamp must be dealt with and with the peep makes the front sight tall for a longrifle but it will work.
American horses of Arabian descent.

dwr435

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
Sir,

This company makes custom shooting glasses, then can flip your prescriptions so the the right lenses are where you need them to shoot, vent them, etc, not going to find anything that would fit in at an event though.  I m sure there are more companies like them out there though.  These aren't cheap by any means but should last a very long time.

http://www.tacticalrx.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
I can empathize.  At 70 my eyes are failing and cataracts just make it worse.  That's the first thing I plan to correct, then, reading glasses.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
OK, I found the cure! This sight is the BOMB!
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-CA-PEEP-16

I mounted this 15" from the breech and my groups went from 3" to 4" to less than 3/4" @ 25 yards. Problem solved.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 04:16:31 PM »
OK, I found the cure! This sight is the BOMB!
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-CA-PEEP-16

I mounted this 15" from the breech and my groups went from 3" to 4" to less than 3/4" @ 25 yards. Problem solved.
Just don't take that sight to a Rifle Frolic. You'll get accused of cheating.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bart

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:14 PM »
https://www.meritcorporation.com/ Give this option a try. Lots of world class competitors do just this and it fixes the problem good luck!!

Bart

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I like primitive shoots..... No merit discs, or cheaters attached to your glasses at all.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline ajspappa

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
I too wear trifocals and can't see the sights.  I bought some reproduction 18th century frames  and had bifocals made with just the 2 bottom prescriptions. Now I can see the sights great.  Unfortunately the targets are now out of focus a little.  I do pretty well. Better than I did with my normal glasses.

Hadden West

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 07:45:39 AM »
 I worked for Johnson & Johnson, when they developed the progressive "Definity" lenses. They sold out the eyeglass business to Essilor, who still makes the Definity. That was 12 or more years ago, but I still wear them. They are the best glasses, that I have ever worn. The range is better, for computer, or shooting. They are not cheap, but are worth every penny. If you are still wearing flat top bifocals, then you are missing out on what is possible, by wearing progressive lenses. Spend the money on the lenses, not the frames.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »
https://www.meritcorporation.com/ Give this option a try. Lots of world class competitors do just this and it fixes the problem good luck!!

Bart
Tried it , didn't work. Pretty disappointed that it works for some but not for others.
 I just finished up a big bore hunting rifle yesterday for deer hunting this year and put this funky sight on it. I should find time to shoot it today and see if it works. Looks like it will from just sighting down the barrel. hopes are high!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Pretty sure it's the old eyes. For me, this rifles sights don't have to be period correct. I've been hunting this rifle with PC iron sights since I built it in 2001. What it does have to do is be accurate in my hands. I have considered cutting another dovetail but I don't want to do that at this time.
Years ago I experimented with different type sights but never actually hunted with any of them. I made a prototype mount that a Williams peep sight could be mounted to and easily mounted to the rifle. Due to dealing with the varying diameters of a swamped barrel I needed a taller sight than I had on hand and never followed through with the project. I have a lot of time shooting peep sights and think this will return the acccuracy I require.
So the peep sight is back on the rifle and either today or in the next few days I'll start on a new, taller front sight and just go from there.
I am seriously considering building a lighter deer rifle based on the Rice Southern classic 42" barrel, so that will get me back to traditional sights again. I'm looking at the 42" A weight barrel in .50 caliber. But it just seems the barrel walls will be awful thin.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:38 AM »
I am going to look into the microscope adjustable iris! Taylor found, some time ago, that using a piece of black electrician's tape with a tiny hold melted into it with a hot needle worked well.  I might try that as well - using an old pair of yellow shooting glasses I used for 15 years in 3-postion shooting.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
Recently, I purchased a new pair of eye glasses with progressive lenses. Have worn progressive lenses for the past 10 years. They work well for me including seeing my iron sights. But I use peep sights on most of my muzzle loading rifles.

Have always used the name brand lenses like the Definity and have had excellent results.  Current prices for a pair of glasses using those lenses are around $900.00 or more.  Because I know when I am being gouged, I went to COSTCO. They make a high definition, digitally surfaced lens. I bought a pair with all the options, frames, transition, and scratch protection included for $260.00. Have worn them now for a month and love them. They are every bit as good as the high priced brand name, nationally advertised lenses.

And to sweeten the deal, my insurance company reimbursed me for just over $100.00 making my glasses cost me around $150.00.

If there is a COSTCO in your area, check out their optical department for huge cost savings.