Author Topic: Anybody prefer regular vent liners?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Skychief

Anybody prefer regular vent liners?
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
As opposed to a "White Lightning" type liner that is coned, do any of you prefer a standard vent liner?

I'm looking to speed the ignition of a Fowler that I have.  I've read some glowing reports of Chambers' liners, but want to know if some prefer regular ones instead.

Are the chances 100% that ignition will appreciably increase with a coned liner ?

Best regards, Skychief

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Anybody prefer regular vent liners?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »
There is much more to fast ignition than the vent liner alone.  For years I installed Ampco berylium liners purchased from TOW - call them 'regular vent liners' if you like.  They work fine.  But I haven't used one since Chambers' liners became available.  It is my opinion that they are the best liners available to the mortal man/woman!!
I Never install a screw driver or allen socket head liner.  Garbage.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:34:50 PM »
Thank you Taylor

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:55:14 PM »
I modified several Lyman liners when I was shooting a Great Plains rifle. It was fast. Then while browsing online I ran across some liners, probably the Ampco Taylor spoke of. These were made almost to my own former modifications and I installed them in several store bought flintlocks for friends. I got no complaints back. But I kept hearing of White Lightnings so when I built my first rifle I used the White Lightning. I have used nothing else since and don't plan to.
The inner cone of the WL is dome shaped, from what I've heard it's like a shaped charge. So when I start shooting a new rifle I will spend a day with the TH and a set of number drills. These are small drills that increase in size about .004 per drill. .004 doesn't sound like much but a .004 increase in diameter gives a much larger increase in circumference. So only go up one at a time.  As I shoot I judge the speed of ignition, then drill the TH one drill size up and start shooting again. It only takes me one or two drill sizes to get the speed I want. So don't go wild with the drilling.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
I only use White Lightnin' liners after many years of using the "old style". WL's are as fast as you're ever going to get. I drill mine to 1/16". It's against the law to use numbered drills in Iowa.......
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »
So far I've used nothing but the regular SS liners with the screw slot.  I normally remove the liner from a new gun, deepen the inside cone and shorten the liner if needed before re-installing.  I have thought about maybe trying the WL liner; just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I drill all liners to 1/16".
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »
Good thing I don't live in Ohio. Maybe with a permit I could travel across state lines???

I went to 1/16 in my current .40 cal. If it was any faster I couldn't tell it, and I'm sensitive to what my firearms are doing. My .54 is one drill up and it could be a little faster but not enough to drill it again.
Skychief, some of these rifles are approaching or equal to, caplock speed. Best example I can think of. But as Taylor said there is a lot more to fast ignition than the vent liner alone. I think lock speed is the main thing. I was lucky in that a true lockmaster coached me through tuning locks with both a single trigger and set triggers. Now my locks are fast. And only now can I judge the speed of the vent liner.
But even if one does not go to that extreme a White Lighning liner will still give faster ignition.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
The sentiment seems overwhelming.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:12:14 AM »
Are the chances 100% that ignition will appreciably increase with a coned liner ?

Yes.

And beware of imitations.  Get the genuine, original, Jim Chambers "White Lightnin'" Touch Hole Liners.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Skychief

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 04:41:44 AM »
Thanks Ron, I will.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 03:34:51 AM »
I use the regular White Lightening liners from J.Chambers shop.

PS - I get Taylor to install them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
 Ditto for white lightning. I have installed them on all my builds, and converted many friends rifles, some who were ready to give up flint shooting. The only drawback is the shinny, not authentic circle they make on the barrel. I have told people skeptical about a non removable liner that I would replace a shot out one for free-never have.
                                                           Turtle

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »
Ditto for white lightning. I have installed them on all my builds, and converted many friends rifles, some who were ready to give up flint shooting. The only drawback is the shinny, not authentic circle they make on the barrel. I have told people skeptical about a non removable liner that I would replace a shot out one for free-never have.
                                                           Turtle
Chambers also makes them out of 12L14 so they'll match the barrel steel. I don't see the point though as they will wear out pretty quick if you shoot much.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
Number drills illegal?  Dang - I'll check our laws in British Columbia, and then turn myself in if I've erred.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 02:35:39 AM »
Number drills illegal?  Dang - I'll check our laws in British Columbia, and then turn myself in if I've erred.

99 years and ONE day in the Hotel Graybars for using a #42 drill instead of a 3/32.
Aster all,there is .0003 difference. ;D

Bob Roller

BartSr

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 01:21:46 AM »
I use a stainless steel allen set screw installed backwards with a 1/16 inch hole.
Sorry folks, couldn't resist.  ;D

Thanks Tom,

BartSr

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 02:18:54 AM »
Years ago, before I was aware of the Chambers WL liners (or maybe before they were made) I made a liner out of an allen set screw, drilled a 1/16" thru hole, then coned the inside with a dremel stone, so the flash channel was like an hour glass.  That gun fired PDQ.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »
Heck, Numrich arms used stainless steel set screws for breech plugs in their minute man rifles. The first one of those I took apart had me scratching my head. Although they thought about using it for a breech plug, they never thought about using a smaller one for a touch hole liner.

Hungry Horse