Author Topic: Flintlock stamped Louisville  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
Flintlock stamped Louisville
« on: September 12, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
A coworker sent me pictures of a flintlock in his family. I'm trying to identify it. The lock looks like a ketland but is stamped louisville. Dose anyone know what this lock is? I would post pics if I could! Thanks!

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flintlock stamped Louisville
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
This sounds like an antique muzzleloader and the information is more likely be found in that section of the forum. I personally have never seen a lock marked like this.

Hungry Horse

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
I have seen several Louisville Ky made rifles. So far none have been flint. All half stocked percussion. I forget the names that I once found as gunmakers here.
Psalms 144

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
A gunsmith named Foster made guns there in the 1850's.

Hungry Horse

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
You've peaked my interest. I got pictures!

Offline louieparker

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Not knowing any better, I would say the fellow who made the rifle made the lock. Probably in the 1960s or there abouts...  LP

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »
Your rifle has the look of a Royland Southgate made gun. (Contemporary)  He was from Tennnessee
Joel Hall

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
Did Royland make his own locks?  I think the lock is nicer than the rest of the gun, as far as build quality and styling goes though, and it might be by a different hand than the rest of the gun.   Unless of the course the guy was a good metal worker and not so much on wood.  That happens.  Cock and frizzen are nicely filed, but the tail end of the lock plate is a bit truncated.  Screws are definitely modern and machine made on the lock.  Interesting gun nonetheless!  
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
Did Royland make his own locks?  I think the lock is nicer than the rest of the gun, as far as build quality and styling goes though, and it might be by a different hand than the rest of the gun.   Unless of the course the guy was a good metal worker and not so much on wood.  That happens.  Cock and frizzen are nicely filed, but the tail end of the lock plate is a bit truncated.  Screws are definitely modern and machine made on the lock.  Interesting gun nonetheless!  

I think that lock is a refilled Dixie Gun Works lock from the mid 1950's.
I remember that frizzen spring from my 1958 summer of working there.

Bob Roller

Big Wolf

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:08 PM »
I agree with Louie, this gun looks like it was made in the 1950's or 1960's.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 02:48:40 AM »
Southgate rarely if ever refiled the old Dixie F1 flintlocks he used so much. Look at the size of this lock, it tiny, most likely a repurposed antique pistol lock. This is definately an early replica. It looks almost cartoonish in its style.

Hungry Horse

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:12:09 AM »
I new this rifle was a contemporary rifle. But the lock threw me. I honestly expected someone to say, "Yea Dixie made a bunch of louisville stamped locks back in the day." To bad the inletting is so bad. It would be a nice early contemporary rifle.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
Southgate normally signed his rifles on the top flat. Earlier were engraved, later on he had a stamp, also in script. Top flat near breach he stamped a serial number, sometimes hard to read in photographs.

If you might have photos of any barrel engraving, should they be Southgate I'd like to include them in a booklet I have/am writing on Royland Southgate.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
Royland did some restoration, too. My full stocked flint Moll swivel rifle, which I thought had its original fore stock, has “Southgate 1947” lightly penciled in cursive on the bottom flat of one of the very clean barrel channels.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com