Author Topic: gun pictures  (Read 14710 times)

Pratt

gun pictures
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:51:37 AM »
I haven't posted any pictures for a while, thought you all might like to see these

El Mac

Re: gun pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
I do so love looking at a master's work!!!

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:17:18 AM »
Nice work!!!  First, I know this is the worst compliment anyone can give a gun, but NICE piece of wood in the buttstock.  Good job getting the patchbox to match up with the figure.  Did you forge the triggerguard on this one too?  I love the wide spur and bevels on the bow and grip rail.  I don't know my iron mounted/southern guns, is this based on any in particular?  Thanks for sharing,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:25 AM »
Beautiful work Ian.  Thanks for posting the pics.  What sort of finish is that?  Is that your cartouche on the sideplate?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »
Fantastic!  You have some serious skill Ian.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:43:49 AM »
Beautiful gun Ian. will it be at the CLA?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

ironwolf

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
  Ian, I love it.   Great overall, but I really like the lock/wrist architecture. 
What size/cal. is she?  Looks like it could be early and large.
Thanks for the pics, Kevin

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »
VERY cool. Love the shapes through the lock area and the T.G. Has the feel of a Southern rifle with East of Reading influence. We know that Valentine Beck from Christian Springs worked in the Moravian community in N. Carolina for instance. Strickly a fantasy but possible.

Roy S.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
Great piece...  Thanks for the pics

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
nice looking rifle Ian. It turned out great!

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »
Hi Ian!
 I especially like the form of the triggerguard with the reverse hook on the grip rail.It looks as if it provide a secure and   comfortable grip.
Did you forge this up yourself?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
  Ian she is a beauty. I really like the lines and the finish looks great, in the wood not on it.

Tim C. 

D Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
Hello Ian,

Beautiful design and carving. What do you use to finish your iron?

Pratt

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
  Thanks guys,I appreciate your comments..
 Except Eric, man them's fightin words, Nice Wood? Haven't heard that one since about my first or second rifle. I did forge the trigger guard, made all but the lock and barrel on it.  The guard is probably a cross betwen German and Woodbury. My customer had wanted something along the lines of an early American rifle with a lot of Germanic features, of course he gave me a lot of leeway in how I would pull it off. Bill has pretty much nailed how I was seeing it, by no means a copy of an existing piece, really a contemporary gun I suppose.

Here is a better look at the guard

Ken, that is my stamp on the sideplate, I had another like it but smaller for little blades, etc, but I have lost it. Probably picked it up and beat it into a blade by accident. I used Permalyn finsh on this one, nitric stain.

Kevin It's a .50 cal rifle,  was bigger than inch and a sixteenth at the breech I think. the buttplate was a bit under 2 inches at it's widest spot, but I still got a nice shape because the comb is fairly narrow compared to some.

The owner has offered to let me take it to the CLA show, will probably have it at Dixon's too

Pratt

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »
The metal finish was done using by applying cold blue and then give it a bleach bath. No boiling on this one , just straight cold bleach. I do it kind of in layers,  scrub spots off and re apply to others and drop it back in the bleach. You have to watch or it can get away from you in a hurry.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the extra pictures.  The trigger guard is outstanding.  Very nice forge and file work.  Tell your buyer thanks for letting it go to the CLA show for us to enjoy first hand.
Ken
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:13:44 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

TENdriver

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »
That is great.    I'm starting to suffer from serious envy for some of the rifles guys are posting.

lew wetzel

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 02:45:55 AM »
i really like the bleach finish.i am sooo glad you are one of our instructors every month in lodi..... 

eagle24

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 02:55:45 AM »
The metal finish was done using by applying cold blue and then give it a bleach bath. No boiling on this one , just straight cold bleach. I do it kind of in layers,  scrub spots off and re apply to others and drop it back in the bleach. You have to watch or it can get away from you in a hurry.

Ian,  When you are using that finish on the barrel do you brush the bleach onto the barrel or submerge it?  Just wondering what you did to keep bleach out of the bore.

Greg

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:08 AM »
Ian...  I'd say you pretty much nailed it, GREAT looking rifle!  I love the blending of influences associated with the architecture and furniture.  Really nice work!  Thanks for the pics...

Ed Wenger

Stonefeather

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »
I like your interpretation of the classic double C-scroll: well within the scope of tradition but original and unique.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:47 AM »
Here's what we're talking about. At the KRA Show last year some very extensive research came to the conclusion that RCA no.42 was strongly attributed to Valentine Beck, sent by the Moravians at Christian Springs to N. Car. A N.C. rifle made by a smith trained in the tradition of Albrecht and Oreter. Ian's expanded this idea into a steel mounted rifle. Though it's a contemporary piece, there's feasible thought behind it. Aside from workmanship, this is the difference between pure fantasy and the plausible. 

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
Beautiful work, Ian. I love that trigger  guard. I look forward to seeing it at the CLA Show.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for posting these photos.   I just admire the devil outta your work.  I do love those 'iron' mounted rifles.   :)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »
Ian,

That is one FINE looking rifle!  Super work!  Thanks for the inspiration.

Best Regards,

John Cholin