Author Topic: Pistol - Ohio? (Maker Unknown) 090330-1  (Read 14501 times)

Offline nord

Pistol - Ohio? (Maker Unknown) 090330-1
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »
The attached photos are of a pistol that I very much like, and would be curious as to the review boards reception.  It would not hurt my feelings if this is something beyond the library's interest.........maybe in regards to crudeness?

In my photo library I labeled  it  "Business Mans Pistol" ...........a utilitarian, found in Ohio 75+ caliber pistol that has no provisions for a ramrod and no rear sight.  The maple stock has a oak stub doweled on the grip, a repair done a long time ago.  Makes me wonder if this pistol had at some point in its life had broken someones crown?  This pistol is no frills and very smooth and has worn round edges from carry...........now if only it could only talk. 

Comments:

This appears to be a black smith made pistol produced in the back woods of the South somewhere. It is interesting for a variety of reasons, obvious to the viewer; the comment was made that the grip broke and was then extended by means of a pegged add on. I wonder if the grip wasn't actually made short and extended by an owner who found the original configuration to be too short for his hand?
Although fairly crude, there is a charm to the piece that speaks to the dictum; 'where there is a will, there is a way'.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:34:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.