Author Topic: preparing a raw horn  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
preparing a raw horn
« on: October 07, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
I have done a search and must not be putting in the correct words or terms but everything I come up with is for an already polished horn.
I have a raw horn I would like to prepare and polish.
I have a raw horn and an already polished one.
The polished one is beautiful and nice and ready to create a new powder horn.
The raw one, well.... Not so much
There is a thick, almost insert like, section on the inside that the polished one does not have.
I will try and add a picture later to show what exactly I am talking about.
My question is if there is a way to get that out? or is it just not a good horn to use as a powder horn?
Also, how do I get it as "polished" and my polished horn? Scraping, sanding?

I really hope that it can be used as it has a nice shape and curve to it
Thank you in advance

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: preparing a raw horn
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
 Pix would help. It sounds like you have an old horn with the dried core still in it, inside looks like a thick Spider Web. Once dried it is a little more difficult to get the core out but it can be done. Boiling is probably the best way, do it out side even if its dry. Let it boil for an hour or so and test it to see if it will move, long Needle Nose pliers help, each one is different. It may take awhile but it will come out. Once it is out you can measure the depth of the cavity, cut and drill. Some horns are just not Powder Horn material.
 Any horn, raw of polished needs to be worked down. A course rasp is a good starter, followed by a finer file or two. Once you get it to the shape you want, a scraper with finish it off. Sand paper can be used if you like, after the files start with 80 and work your way to about 220, 80, 120, 180, 220. Even then a scraper can be used to get the finish you want.
 I am not a fan of Highly Polish horns, once again to each his own.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:30:21 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline J Henry

Re: preparing a raw horn
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
  Check out the TUTORIAL on this site,,great place to start,  be warned ,once opened ,there is no turning back. ;D