Author Topic: 20 gauge nose cap  (Read 3088 times)

huckfinn

20 gauge nose cap
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
  I am making slow progress on a 20 gauge fowler.  It's a 36" Colerain octagon to smooth barrel with large siler lock.  Has steel fowler buttplate and trigger guard.  1/4" cast off. 
   Does anyone have a photo of a 20 gauge smoothbore nosecap on a gun similar to this?  I think a grooved one 2" long would work for me.  There are also the ungrooved kind, but I think they would get brush stuck between the ramrod and cap.  Which looks better?  Which is more correct for this style gun?  I wll post some pictures when it starts to look a little better.  Thanks!

Offline Don Getz

Re: 20 gauge nose cap
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
Huck......why not "NO" nosecap.   Most fowlers don't have them, making it easy on you........Don

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »
Huck, most fowlers did not have nose caps and I never quite understood why??? There are some with caps though and they are pretty much just "rifle caps"on a smoothbore. I have never had any problems with brush sticking between the rod and the stock with the un-grooved type and I do think they look "sleekeer" or "slimmer"? Look on the TOTW website at the smoothbores they have for sale. Post some pics' and ask question here before you get too far along because some mistakes are HARD to correct! There are a many fine gunsmiths here that are very eager to help out and promote the profession....Ed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:29:13 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

huckfinn

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I forgot about Track of the Wolf.  They have a nice wax cast nose cap with 3/4" round barrel.  That should fit with a little filing.  It looks a little short though.  I was planning on a 2" long nose cap.  Not sure how that shorter one would look.  I have considered buying a longer one, removing the end piece and soldering on a new one that fits my barrel. 

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
If you have the ability to modify a nosecap, why not just make one to you liking????
Ed Hamberg

huckfinn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:58 AM »
I think that is what I am going to do.  I found a nice nosecap from the log cabin shop.  I think I can remove the octagonal end piece and put on a home made round barrel one.