Author Topic: Looking for thick spring steel.  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Looking for thick spring steel.
« on: November 07, 2016, 08:21:31 PM »
Where can I find thick springsteel at reasonable prices?
I need four pieces of 4mm (0.157") thick , 30mm (1.25) wide and 140mm(5.5") long.  Would like 0.7% carbon steel annealed..

I did find a supplier in England, but he wants 184$ + shipping for this order. Thats way over my budjet.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Looking for thick spring steel.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »
If they have junkyards where you are go get a rear leaf spring off an old VW bug or something like that. You will have to anneal it.
Andover, Vermont

westbj2

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:59:25 AM »
Jantz supply has some 1095 material that is close to the size you are looking for and some 1075 that is thicker.
Inexpensive and quick shipping.
http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/102.htm
Jim

pushboater

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:45:37 AM »
Like Rich said, Ditto on the leaf spring. For a few bucks you can get enough to last you a while.

David

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
Lawn mower blades

They're a real pain to straighten when you can't get a replacement!!!

JB2

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »
Rolf, perhaps try to find a British car hobbyist group in your area.  Many English cars, particularly Triumphs and MGs before 1980, used rear leaf springs also .  Some even with almost that exact thickness and width.  Some had a habit of breaking leafs, so some owners may have pieces 'holding down their workbenches';) 

Good luck

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
Rolf,
I don't know what shipping would cost you but I get all my spring steel from the New Jersey Steel Baron   http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/   They have good prices as well as a wide variety of spring steel.  They might be able to help you out.  I bought a thick piece of 1084 from them and then just machine down or cut in half for thinner pieces.  It comes already annealed so it cuts, files and bends great.
David
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:20:04 PM by David Rase »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:51:50 AM »
Rolf,
I don't know what shipping would cost you but I get all my spring steel from the New Jersey Steel Baron   http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/   They have good prices as well as a wide variety of spring steel.  They might be able to help you out.  I bought a thick piece of 1084 from them and then just machine down or cut in half for thinner pieces.  It comes already annealed so it cuts, files and bends great.
David

Thank you for all Your recomentations. I've orderd the steel baron. They were closest to the Dimensions I needed.

Best regards
Rolf