Author Topic: Half stock rifle - C.W. Murray  (Read 2391 times)

AeroE

Half stock rifle - C.W. Murray
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:34 AM »
This rifle belongs to an acquaintance, we're both curious about the maker, location the rifle was made, and so on.

Bore is about 0.370 across the lands, 0.380 across the grooves.  The tang looks to have an extra hole for a tang sight, and the muzzle appears to be turned for a false muzzle.

The barrel is stamped Hastings and Cast Steel adjacent to the CW Murray stamp.  They are all offset, so I don't know whether to believe the barrel is a "Hastings" Cast Steel, or not.

The owner inherited this gun and a couple of others that he has already identified.  The gun is an heirloom, with this story, "The only story I have so far is that it's remained in the family from my 3rd great grandfather who was from central Michigan (Edmore area), and that the rifle was supposedly used in the war."

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:18:01 AM by AeroE »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Half stock rifle - C.W. Murray
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
The single brass trigger sure makes it looks like a New York rifle. Shelby Gallien

Offline Tom Moore

Re: Half stock rifle - C.W. Murray
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
There is a Charles W. Murray listed in the 1880 census living in Fremont Co. CO. Also a Charles Murray in Flint, Mi in 1850 listed in "Michigan Gunsmiths". And a Charles Murray in Watertown, NY. moving to Addison, MI. in 1855 listed in "The New York Firearms Trade". Hope this helps. -Tom