Author Topic: Smoothbore choice  (Read 6313 times)

Offline James

Smoothbore choice
« on: November 18, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »
What size would you choose if intended use is squirrels, grouse, coyotes or other smallish game?  The barrels I have for future builds are all rifled with the exception of a 10 gauge for turkey.  I'm thinking I need to work a smoothbore in there.  So what say you- 28 gauge, 20...?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Smoothbore choice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:01 AM »
You could use the 10 bore for the small game and just reduce the powder/shot charges if it still patterns ok.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:59:42 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
I'm a confirmed 20ga fan.  My flint smoothbore is 20ga and takes deer down DRT.  With shot loads it patterns very well for a cylinder bore. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:13:24 PM »
The 10 barrel should work for all the above.

I do like my 20g Chambers PA fowler thought.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »
I didn't know if the 10 would be over doing things, but hadn't considered that I'd have the ability to mess with the load as compared to my modern 10 gauge where what comes out of the shell box is what you get.  I also might be looking for rationalization for another gun.  Just saying...
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:57:02 AM »
My old boss used to say some is good, more is better. A 10 and 20 would cover just about everything.   ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
The Chambers Penn. fowling gun is available in a number of different bore sizes. I have a 20 and a 28
They are wonderful guns, however when I finished their Officer's Fusil, I knew I had found the sweetest gun I've ever shouldered.  If I remember correctly, it was Don Getz who recommended it as his favourite, and it is a keeper.

Offline James

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 02:07:18 AM »
My old boss used to say some is good, more is better. A 10 and 20 would cover just about everything.   ;D

That's what I'm talking about   ;D

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:09:35 AM »
The Chambers Penn. fowling gun is available in a number of different bore sizes. I have a 20 and a 28
They are wonderful guns, however when I finished their Officer's Fusil, I knew I had found the sweetest gun I've ever shouldered.  If I remember correctly, it was Don Getz who recommended it as his favourite, and it is a keeper.

I just went to their site and saw the photo they have of the Officer's Fusil and I like the look of it, a contender I think.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
The 10 can be loaded differently for all the game you mentioned. I have two 20 gauge flinters that I love. Works for everything from squirrels to turkey and deer. Someday I'd like a 16 gauge English or Colonial fowling piece. Don't rule out the 16.

Of course, do check your local game regulations. A 28 gauge would be great for small game and probably good with round ball for deer, but here, it would be illegal for turkey.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
My 10 bore Chambers New England fowling gun is almost in constant use.  However, it is a long and somewhat larger firearm...not overly large i.e. excess wood, but the size reflects the bore size. It has taken everything from turkeys, ducks , geese,  to deer, and bear. I never was able to connect on partridge with it.  The  action is too fast and I'm too slow.  That is where the 20 bore Officer's Fusil shines.  It is up and on target in a heartbeat.
Think about what and how you will use your gun before making a decision. I love my 10, but that fusil is the bees knees on partridge.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
There's no such thing as "too much gun" unless it's too much for the shooter.  As long as it makes the game dead, it does its job.  Like bob in the woods said, his 20ga fusil simply fits him perfectly and that's the approach that makes sense.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 01:58:29 AM »
I have owned 28's, 20's, 18's, 14's, 12's, 11's and 10's. They all had their uses. 18-12 were good bird and clays guns. 11 and 10 were good for turkeys. the small bores shot ball well and sitting game with shot.
   Barrel length and over all weight and balance are probably more critical than bore size in most cases. If a gun don't fit you must quit....or some such nonsense....or maybe that had something to do with gloves and acquit..... who knows? :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
I do wish this one was a 10 or a 12.  That would give me more barrel size to have a 14 bore or 12 bore as a rifled barrel replacement.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V