Author Topic: Question reguarding iron mounted SG rifle  (Read 5433 times)

n stephenson

Question reguarding iron mounted SG rifle
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
In the library of this site , in the section iron mounted rifles there is one known as the SG rifle. I absolutely LOVE this rifle and am planning to build one for myself. My question is about the sideplate I`ve never seen one like this on an old southern gun, Which means nothing because I definately haven't seen them all. I may be opening a Pandora`s box but I would like some opinions on whether this is original to this rifle as there is some visible repair work very nearby . With the small screws holding it around the perimeter I couldn't help but think this could be a reinforcing addition. I really don`t know but I thank you for your input in advance. If anyone knows any additional info on this rifle I`d love to have it.   

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Question reguarding iron mounted SG rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
I would suspect its original but there probably is no way of knowing except maybe removing the sideplate and I doubt that will happen.

When these rifles/photos were added to the ALR Library each and every gun was reviewed by a group of advanced collectors. I am sure that if there had been any doubt that the sideplate wasn not original to the rifle there they would have added that to the record. Names of owners of these guns were not retained so there is no way to contact the owner unless he/she is an ALR member and happens to want to chime in with an answer to your question.
Dennis

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:43:52 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »
If you have access to Gary Nobel's "Notes on Southern Long Rifles" you can look at work by well know maker Alfred Gross and see his version.  They are similar with the exception of the extra screws.  I am sending you a couple photo's of a rifle I am just fiishing that uses a similar side plate.  The problem I had with using the plate is that when I tightened the lock bolt, the ends would raise up just a bit.  Fore sure that was my problem because of my inlet not being flat around the bolt area.  I chased the issue for a while to make sure the area under the plate was supporting the plate,  and installed a front lock bolt as well.  This stabalized the plate positon when the screws were snugged up against the plate and looked good as well.  This was the first one I have made like this, and it grows on you as you do the work.  I really like the end result.  Good luck with your build.
                                                                              Roger Sells

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:48:04 AM »
There are two original percussion southern rifles at the little museum near the old mill at Norris dam (in Tennessee).  One has a sideplate that looks like a comet.  The other does not still have the sideplate, but the inlet is still clear, another comet.  I have never seen this before, but there seem to be quite a few that do not appear like we expect.  This is one reason I love them.  If I get back up there, I will take some photos.  These two rifles are out w here one can handle them.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

timM

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »

The side plate on this rifle is undoubtedly original to its build.  Respectfully, tim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »
If you have access to Gary Nobel's "Notes on Southern Long Rifles" you can look at work by well know maker Alfred Gross and see his version.  They are similar with the exception of the extra screws.  I am sending you a couple photo's of a rifle I am just fiishing that uses a similar side plate.  The problem I had with using the plate is that when I tightened the lock bolt, the ends would raise up just a bit.  Fore sure that was my problem because of my inlet not being flat around the bolt area.  I chased the issue for a while to make sure the area under the plate was supporting the plate,  and installed a front lock bolt as well.  This stabalized the plate positon when the screws were snugged up against the plate and looked good as well.  This was the first one I have made like this, and it grows on you as you do the work.  I really like the end result.  Good luck with your build.
                                                                              Roger Sells

I'd like to see those pics too Roger.  Like to see your interpretation.  thanks
Hold to the Wind

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »
Roger , I got the pics . Nice. It does grow on ya don`t it. Thanks

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:14:50 PM »
 Here is a link to the rifle in question, I think.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

Tim C.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 05:21:48 AM »
Was that an original side plate or a repair??

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 06:53:15 AM »
Here is a link to the rifle in question, I think.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

Tim C.

Yup, it's not the easiest to find.

Was that an original side plate or a repair??

Methinks that is the question. But some, like TimM above, are convinced it is original.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
That is a great looking rifle. I like everything about it. Are you gonna keep yours' percussion or go flint?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

n stephenson

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »
I don`t want to start a firestorm on here but I will build mine in flint. Just because that`s all I shoot. Let me be clear I`m NOT building a COPY , just very much like it . My barrel is 48 inches long. I still have to make the triggers as well as the mounts. As usual the paying jobs get moved to the front of the line.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
I don`t want to start a firestorm on here but I will build mine in flint. Just because that`s all I shoot. Let me be clear I`m NOT building a COPY , just very much like it . My barrel is 48 inches long. I still have to make the triggers as well as the mounts. As usual the paying jobs get moved to the front of the line.

Yup, nevermind any storms, "inspired by" is maybe as close as I'm ever going to attempt to "copy" one.  And that leaves a LOT of room for "interpretations," such as locks. 

Got no interest in owning/shooting cappers here either.

Well I'd own an original for reference and preservation purposes, but ain't quite "in the market".
Hold to the Wind

Offline louieparker

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind about this lock bolt plate. All of these SG rifles that I have seen have a plate shaped like the lock. Both Glover and Alfred Gross did this.  I think Glover worked with the Gross family. The workmanship is very close to Gross but with some differences.  All the other SG rifles that I have seen had cast brass trigger guards, I was pleased to see this guard and it's shaped very close to Gross. LP

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind about this lock bolt plate. All of these SG rifles that I have seen have a plate shaped like the lock. Both Glover and Alfred Gross did this.  I think Glover worked with the Gross family. The workmanship is very close to Gross but with some differences.  All the other SG rifles that I have seen had cast brass trigger guards, I was pleased to see this guard and it's shaped very close to Gross. LP

Thanks Louie, that settles it for me.  I rest my case on your case.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

n stephenson

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
Louie , Thanks for your input as well as everyone who has commented. Having so many people with first hand knowledge of these rifles is a great thing !! I have a lot of questions that I`ve had for many years about different topics in this long rifle culture . I`m thankful to have found  those who share my desire for these guns Thanks Nathan

Offline louieparker

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
I am not saying ALL Gross rifles used this lock bolt plate. I have seen other types made by Gross. Right off hand I recall three AFG rifles that have the lock image plate.  But I don't recall seeing a Glover that didn't have it. LP