Author Topic: Brass barreled pistol with drum and nipple  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Brass barreled pistol with drum and nipple
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:50 AM »
I'm thinking of rebuilding a pistol with a Bill Large (.L.) brass barrel which has a brass drum installed. The barrel is a 13/16" .45 and is rifled.  My understanding is that the barrel should be bronze, however I know the drum to be brass and shop made.  I'm not sure that combination (particularly the brass drum) is safe.  Having blown out a drum about two years ago on a 1" .40 caliber, I don't wish to do it again.  Should I replace it with a steel drum and make sure that it rests on the drum notch of the lock or use it as is?  I just don't have any experience with brass barrels.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Brass barreled pistol with drum and nipple
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
I'm thinking of rebuilding a pistol with a Bill Large (.L.) brass barrel which has a brass drum installed. The barrel is a 13/16" .45 and is rifled.  My understanding is that the barrel should be bronze, however I know the drum to be brass and shop made.  I'm not sure that combination (particularly the brass drum) is safe.  Having blown out a drum about two years ago on a 1" .40 caliber, I don't wish to do it again.  Should I replace it with a steel drum and make sure that it rests on the drum notch of the lock or use it as is?  I just don't have any experience with brass barrels.
Roger B.

If you get a good fit on the lock plate with the drum I doubt if
it will blow out with any normal pistol load. Take it out and look at the threads
and that will tell you a lot.

Bob Roller

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:30:20 AM »
Thanks Bob!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
"Brass" is a term meaning some kind of yellow metal

Properly, one should use UNC rather than UNF threads in "brass".

Most commonly available brass bar is about 70% copper 30% zinc, but more importantly there are a couple of % lead in there to propitiate the Great Deity of Machinability. At the expense, of course, of toughness.

Online Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
Interesting about brass/bronze and pressure.
 In another sport, brass fittings are used with PCP air rifles up to 3,000psi & CO2 guns which run sub 1,000psi.
 For the 3,500psi, 4,500psi & higher pressure guns & nitrogen tanks, stainless steel is used as the brass fittings can and will fail - like little hand-grenades. Of course, thickness can increase strength.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V