Author Topic: New to me double fowler  (Read 5193 times)

2nocks

New to me double fowler
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:11:20 AM »
I just picked up this double fowler. The seller believes it to be English made mid/late 1800's and a 16 gauge, I'm not sure of either. Is there an easy way to check the guage? The barrels are thin which makes it a nice lightweight gun to  carry after small game.

However, the muzzle end of one of the barrels is a little bent(see pic) and there is a tiny hole about 2 inches down from the muzzle.
Any concerns shooting bird shot with the shape its in?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:11:58 AM by 2nocks »

Offline JV Puleo

Re: New to me double fowler
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:14:22 AM »
It's much more likely Belgian than English. The proof marks on the underside of the barrels will tell.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:00 AM »
there is a tiny hole about 2 inches down from the muzzle.
Any concerns shooting bird shot with the shape its in?
1.  Remove the barrels and plug the nipples.
2.  Fill both barrels with cheap alcohol (gas line deicer works)
3.  Stand the barrels upright and leave them overnite.

The alcohol will find any holes in the barrels which are not obvious and will stop leaking at the site of the hole.  Many times they will leak into the rib because acid flux was used when they were soldered together.

as for shooting it, you need to get a bore light to examine the bores of these guns you are presenting.  Heavy pitting will indicate holes which have not yet gone thru the barrel.  Unbreeching the barrels to examine the condition of the breech plugs and any erosion in the breech area is a necessity.  Just because you test fire it and nothing happens, doesn't mean it won't fail in the future, since it already has a hole in it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
It's either Belgian or German. It's been cut back at the muzzle 4 to 6  inches. If you have a hole in the barrel you better look down the barrels real close and see what the rest of the bores look like.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
TOF and Mike's comments are spot on. That barrel with the dent even looks thin in the picture! I invested in one of those inexpensive fiber optic cable deals from Ebay and it is effective in evaluating bore conditions. I found a set of 12 bore barrels that I had hoped to use, badly enlarged in the breech area, So much so that I abandoned the project. The cable and software were less than 15 bucks at the time. Useful!
J.B.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
Doesn't look like an American Longrifle to me....
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
The gun looks typical Belguim and should have the Belquim proof marks on the underside of the barrels at the breech end  also the bore size  in metric .The barrels with a thin wall at the muzzle can be ramrod wear but with a hole 2 inches from the muzzle is unsafe to be used,the barrels have been shortened and could have this done because of another hole.To me this is a wall hanger .
Feltwad

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »
Doesn't look like an American Longrifle to me....

No it is a sxs  Belgain percussion shotgun.
Feltwad

2nocks

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
Feltwad, based on a google search I think you nailed it.

Are barrels available that will fit these? 

Thanks all!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
2nocks
Has far has  I know new damascus barrels for these guns are not now made .You can if you can find an original pair ,if you are lucky they may be able to fit but it does involve fitting the original breech plugs to fit the existing standing breech  and relocating the lump that secures  the barrels to the stock with a wedge.Whatever the issue it does involve  a good gunsmith to do the job.
Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:17 PM »
You'll have more money in replacing the barrels than you paid for the gun. It's pert near an impossible project.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?