Author Topic: Lock style options for double shotgun  (Read 10475 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Lock style options for double shotgun
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:37 AM »
Cody used a pair of L & R's big Manton locks but filed the plates some to make them more approp-riate.  He also changed out the frizzen springs with the Bailes springs, and put rollers in the toes of the frizzens.  He did a really nice job making these locks work for his double.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bgf

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »
Taylor,
Thanks, it all makes sense now.  Both you and Cody did nice work on those!

MB,
That Durs Egg dressed up nice!

Offline webradbury

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:47:45 AM »
Those are fine looking shotguns, thanks for posting. The Bailes lock sure looks good on the one shotgun. Very nice. I have decided to work with the locks I have. Thanks to all for the insights. My next adventure will be figuring it how to mount 28" barrels in a 22" lathe :-\
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
Cody used a pair of L & R's big Manton locks but filed the plates some to make them more approp-riate.  He also changed out the frizzen springs with the Bailes springs, and put rollers in the toes of the frizzens.  He did a really nice job making these locks work for his double.

Taylor,
What are the L&R "big" Manton locks? I made a left and right pair for a builder in Virginia a couple of years
ago but they were the Durs Egg Pattern.

Bob Roller

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
Here is a SXS that Cody built, but I do not know what the locks are. L&R Manton?

That is the L&R  Late English,  "Ashmoor" or sometimes "Manton" or "Manton ashmoor", my favorite lock for looks.  Davis late ketland is similar, I believe.  If one could talk Bob Roller into working his magic on one of the L&r's, it would be a great thing!

I think the John Bailes ought to be called the small Durs Egg instead of Manton :).  It is not a bad lock, but I've seen good and bad examples.

PS. On second look, I don't think it is L&R lock due to lack of roller on spring and other things.

This is a nicely "doctored" L&R Ashmore pair and a FINE job of it. I have done a few right hand ones
and used the Davis Twigg frizzen spring. I made an all new internal mechanism and put a roller on
the toe of the frizzen.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »
Taylor,
Thanks, it all makes sense now.  Both you and Cody did nice work on those!

MB,
That Durs Egg dressed up nice!
John Schippers engraved the one I pictured, Turnbull did the case colors, I stocked it. The trigger guard and entry thimble are cast from old dimes. This gun has won "TOP GUN" at the Friendship sporting clays range several times. Has more to do with the shooter's skill that anything I did.... ;) It's a 14 bore made with old  percussion Belgian damascus ML barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
Here is a SXS that Cody built, but I do not know what the locks are. L&R Manton?

That is the L&R  Late English,  "Ashmoor" or sometimes "Manton" or "Manton ashmoor", my favorite lock for looks.  Davis late ketland is similar, I believe.  If one could talk Bob Roller into working his magic on one of the L&r's, it would be a great thing!

I think the John Bailes ought to be called the small Durs Egg instead of Manton :).  It is not a bad lock, but I've seen good and bad examples.

PS. On second look, I don't think it is L&R lock due to lack of roller on spring and other things.

This is a nicely "doctored" L&R Ashmore pair and a FINE job of it. I have done a few right hand ones
and used the Davis Twigg frizzen spring. I made an all new internal mechanism and put a roller on
the toe of the frizzen.

Bob Roller

Daryl,
I have made up a lot of locks on the L&R external parts for the Manton,Egg and Ashmore and a few
were right and left pairs for double guns.The raise in prices from the foundry L&R uses has just about
made locks of my make cost prohibitive. Also my lack of a work schedule and shorter shop hours
preclude any idea of delivery dates and I don't do "ball park"whatever that is. I have a small Manton
to make for a local man and if I can keep interruptions to a minimum I'll make it this week.
This man has little regard for cost on anything and when the lock is ready he or his son will be over
to my shop in an hour with cash.The ideal customer to say the least.

Bob Roller