Author Topic: Pack/ Case Hardening Question  (Read 881 times)

Offline rsells

Pack/ Case Hardening Question
« on: October 24, 2023, 08:10:57 AM »
Who do you guys use to get parts case hardened to get the appropriate colors on parts like lock plates, hammers, and breech plugs?  Also, what is the normal cost and turnaround time to get the work done by a source that does quality work?  Any reputable source information would be appreciated.   Thanks.
                                                    Roger Sells 

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Pack/ Case Hardening Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 12:52:49 PM »
Roger, reach out to the folks at Wyoming armory. They did a great job on that fullstock hawken I built a ways back. Great price, great turn around, hard and great colors, zero warpage on the parts too, they did the tang, lock, butt, thimbles, toe, nose. PM me, I will send pics if you want.

Offline bobw

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 04:31:17 PM »
Allen does nice work, been at it a long time and is usually fairly quick. I’ve used him for single shot actions.

Link     https://smbgunrestorations.com/

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 01:00:14 AM »
The only thing I will add is. Heavy, thick parts are lees of a risk for warpage when hitting the quench.Those thinner, long parts need to be properly packed, and upon hitting the quench, if packed right, hit in a way that helps prevent warpage. While nothings a guarantee,  hopefully finding a fellow who goes the extra mile is the fellow you want

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 06:31:21 AM »
Wyoming Armory, Cody WY. are who I recommend.  Met them this summer at The Cody Winchester show. They do the kind of job that us longrifle people want.  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.