Author Topic: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!  (Read 39966 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Blunderbuss #4, Engraving Complete
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
Smokepole,

I recently had a friend buy a used Gravermeister for a few hundred dollars.  But you are correct, unless you just use a hammer, an oil stone, one graver, and a bench vise, engraving isn't an inexpensive hobby.

Ed,

Thank you....you and others are too kind.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »
Dave, thanks for the tip about the detail sanding sticks.  Ordered a set Wednesday, and started using them Friday - pretty quick shipping, seems to be a very solid product.
I WOULD like to make some 12" belts of grades between 600 and 2,000.  Those little sticks concentrate the sanding/polishing effort in a very small place, and going 90* to the previous direction really gets out the small scratches very easily.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2020, 05:42:03 AM »
Craig,

They do make those sanding sticks and belts 1/2" and 1" wide.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2020, 10:29:48 PM »
Dave sent a PM

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2020, 02:02:10 AM »
This has been a long time coming......work.....life....death.....medical stuff......but it is finally done.  For those of you who have followed along, thank you for your patience and for the many helpful suggestions.  Andrei has been particularly patient in waiting for me to finish.  He didn't want a sling but I told him I would make up a 4 gage jag and some other items to help him clean this gun after firing.  And the very last thing will be to build a packing crate to get this gun safely to him in Texas.

I think this will be my last blunderbuss.  I would like to finish the pistols and English rifle that have been on the bench for far too long.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Online Carl Young

« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2020, 02:09:53 AM »
Dave you do superlative work, always beautiful and great architecture. I've learned a lot from your posts and especially photos. I plan a return trip to the U.K. this year to visit museums and maybe pick up a specimen or two. Thanks for the inspiration and entertainment!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
I agree with Carl’s assessment.  Crisp, clean, wonderfully executed!  Not much more I could add...  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2020, 03:46:41 AM »
I see a lot of fellers with talent on this forum, but gosh, I’d give my right arm for that scatter gun.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
That is fantastic Dave!! Best blunderbuss I have ever seen for sure.
I have a question for you.  What tools and techniques do you use to get that nicely defined transition through the wrist into the buttstock?

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
That is a work of art!!!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
Some fine work right there,beautiful!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
This piece should be in a museum somewhere.  Just sayin’. Great work David!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
Wonderfully done Dave.  Perfectly executed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
Stunning - agree with all the other posts - you are exceptional...

Jon

Offline LynnC

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »
I second Justins question about the wrist into buttstock definition. Im always trying to learn a new technique. Thanks....Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »
Over the top, Dave, over the top!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2020, 01:07:49 AM »
Thank you all for the kind comments.  I'm actually hoping Andrei doesn't like it.....and then I can pay him for the parts he sent and keep it myself  ;)

To Justin and LynnC:  The tools I use to shape that part of the butt stock are shown in the picture below:

Depending on how the wood behaves, I use the fine saw to establish primary lines from the comb down and then from the side in.  I can't see where the saw cuts would intersect too well and it is easy to trash a stock by cutting in too far.  So I cut part way in each direction and then remove wood with the gouge to see where I am.  As soon as I have established the line of the wrist down toward the butt, I use the little plane to remove as much wood as I can on both the flat side of the butt and for rounding the wrist extension.  If the grain is too contrary to use the plane very effectively, as it was on this piece of wood, I start in with the rasp.  Once the shape is very close to finished, the fender file straightens all the surfaces and makes the wood much smoother without very much effort.  That saves a lot of scraping and / or sanding time.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
That is one magnificent firearm.  Beautiful!
David

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2020, 01:14:59 AM »
I also finished the cleaning attachments....a 4 gage jag and a "T" handle.  Both thread into the 10-32 threads in each end of the ram rod.  The "T" handle is the same one I use on the Gunner's Mate tools I make, so it has a screwdriver tip, a touch hole pick, and, when the touch hole pick is in place, the end of the pick handle works well for knapping the edge of a flint.  The smaller jag is a .54....not useful on the blunderbuss but just something to screw onto the threaded end of the "T" bar.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline LynnC

« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2020, 01:30:39 AM »
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I never tried a fender file or bull nose plane on the wrist into butt area. I have both tools an will give it a try. My last fowler i did with gouges, chisels, rasps and files. The one before a back saw and gouges. I can see the fender file straightening things out and doing a much better job at smoothing.
Thanks again for the tips. Lynn

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2020, 02:42:10 AM »
thanks for the explanation. I've never even heard of a fender file before. Seems like another tool to add to the shop

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2020, 03:01:21 AM »
Justin, they are also called "body files".  The continuous arced teeth cut quickly but very smoothly.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:02 AM »
I guess you can find them at auto parts stores?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2020, 03:52:31 AM »
  Dave this is one of the finest guns I have seen in a y category or school.  Very Very impressive...

Oldtravler

Offline LynnC

« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2020, 04:31:21 AM »
The fender/body files were used to cut the lead body filler used waaaaaayy back in the old days before Bondo. I have a few files but never found much use for them till now maybe.