Author Topic: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!  (Read 39868 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Blunderbuss #4, ...DONE !!!
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:14 AM »
Justin,

Also called "curved tooth files".  I have some made by Nicholson, Vixen, Grobet.  I don't remember where I got mine but looked up a few places.....here you go......

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/hand-tools/files-holders/super-shear-files/

https://atmsupplyco.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2676

https://www.grainger.com/product/CRESCENT-NICHOLSON-Flat-Babbitt-File-1G520

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSUBOSAN-Curved-Tooth-Files-6-14-Bastard-Cut-Hand-Type-240-made-in-japan/253661231666?hash=item3b0f633a32:m:m2uw0AjPNAa_DDcH3lPCGYg

http://www.warrensvillefile.com/index.php/american-pattern/milled-curved-tooth.html

This las outfit looks good.  They also make these with a handle like a plane and a replaceable file blade.  I always wanted one of those....loks like you could really bear down with that arrangement.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2020, 04:41:01 AM »
LynnC,

They will cut most metals and the large teeth don't load up with soft metals like lead, babbit, aluminum, copper, etc.  They work great on hardwood but if they are not sharp, they will skate over the surface.  Mine were old and not too sharp but I sent them to Boggs Tool and had them sharpened.  They work great now.......Come to think of it, I may have found a few of these at an old tool sale somewhere.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2020, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks Dave. I'll pick one up

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2020, 07:45:32 PM »
That's magnificent work, Dave.  It's almost too pretty to shoot.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2023, 02:08:49 AM »
This one should come back up to the top for everyone to see again.
I'm getting one of the same Ed Rayl barrels, so I'll be tackling one pretty soon.
I have a few questions for you, Dave.

How thick was the stock blank that you started with?
Do you make the stock with a standard length of pull like a fowler, or are they shorter?
What size ramrod did you use, and do you have to drill it at a weird angle to clear the muzzle flare?
Thanks

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2023, 02:27:26 AM »
I didyknoe a Blunderbus could look so graceful. Beautiful work as always 👏

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2023, 06:22:37 AM »
Justin,

I think the stock blank was 2 1/2 inches thick to start but could have been a bit thinner.  In the beginning pictures of this thread I had already planed the stock to near final thickness in the lock / side plate area. Yes, the pull was the same as my long rifles.....I didn't try to shorten the stock any.  I used a 3/8" hickory ram rod but made a flared brass button for the end as shown in the photos.  The ram rod hole was drilled parallel to the bore.  When stowed, the ram rod button is caught behind the muzzle rings.  You have to flex the rod slightly to disengage is and pull it out of the stock.

They are a blast to shoot (if you will pardon the pun.... ;))  Have fun building and shooting it !!

daveC2
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 06:34:16 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2023, 05:10:56 PM »
Curved edge files were called "Body files"and were primary tools in fender and body shops.A lot of dings and dents were filled with lead and these files were used to level out the lead.The lead was sold in "sticks" at any automobile supply shop and I used one to repair a ding in the 1937 Cadillac I had while in high school.It was a Series 85 with a V12 engine and all 4 doors were locked with a key.I still have a big Vixen in my tools but never tried it on wood.Old line parts shops like NAPA and Motor Car Supply may still have these "sticks" of body lead and vixen files.
Bob Roller

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave.