Author Topic: My winter project  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: My winter project
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 08:21:47 AM »
Sweet, Dave!  Can't wait to see it completed!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline c deperro

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
Looks great Dave. Nice set of triggers. Any pictures of the triggers inner workings would be nice to see.

Offline Molly

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 12:56:02 AM »
An "iron" Sheets.  Neat.  "Sheetz"...a mighty encompassing group of makers too.  Maybe it's my fuzzy vision but that butt has a rather pronounces crescent for a Sheetz rifle.  Which one of Whiskers books and which page, please.

Looking forward to the next series of pics and the finished rifle.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
An "iron" Sheets.  Neat.  "Sheetz"...a mighty encompassing group of makers too.  Maybe it's my fuzzy vision but that butt has a rather pronounces crescent for a Sheetz rifle.  Which one of Whiskers books and which page, please.

Looking forward to the next series of pics and the finished rifle.
Molly,
The main inspiration for this build comes from page 70 of "Longrifles of Virginia".  I wanted to emulate the lock shape, patchbox and most of all, the wire inlay on the upper and lower forestock.  Speaking of the wire inlay, my book has a double exposure on that page for the closeup of the forestock.  If anyone knows of a reference or has a picture of the forestock, I would greatly appreciate it.  It looks to me from my "fuzzy" picture that there are upper and lower moldings on the forestock.  I can make out the wire pattern but not the moldings.  I would like to know before I final shape the forestock.  If I cannot get a definitive answer then I will do my best interpretation since this is in no way a bench copy.
David

Offline Molly

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:53 PM »
Dave:

Well, I thought I had all of Wisker's books on VA rifles BUT I'm wrong 'cause that's one I don't have.

I have "Gunsmiths of Virginia", "Gunsmiths of Virginia", second edition, and "Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen of Virginia".

I would think maybe the same rifle would be in one of these as there is a lot of repetition from one to the other.  I just did not recall the "Sheetz" rifles with such a sharp crescent at the butt but last night I was looking and low, there were several yet it seems there are more Sheetz styles with not so radical of a crescent.  I think I noted 11 makers with the last name of "Sheetz" in one of the books. (Not to mention the probably scores of others that were taught by or worked with or copies the famous "Sheetz style.)  Maybe if you can identify the specific Sheetz in you photo I'll see if I can match it to one of the many photos in my books.

But all that aside, it's one nice looker and I'll enjoy seeing it as it progresses!