Author Topic: My winter project  (Read 8948 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
My winter project
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
Thought I would share a few photographs of my in progress Sheetz inspired rifle I am currently building.  The rifle has a .40 caliber Rice "B" weight Reading barrel inlet into the curly maple blank.  The gun is iron mounted with sterling silver accents.  My client wanted a percussion lock so we agreed to build the rifle as a converted flint.  To properly fit his lanky frame, we fitted him to a length of pull of 14 7/8".  Next up is to forge the triggerguard, remove more wood and final shape the stock in preparation for a patchbox, 17 silver inlays and a few yards of silver wire.  Hope you enjoy.
David
Full length view of the left side.

Full length view of the lock side.

2 piece forged butt plate with silver wedding band.

The silver toe plate.

Modified Davis double set triggers

Nosecap, front ramrod pipe and the silver draw loop head.

Entry pipe with silver bands
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:13:45 PM by David Rase »

Offline Long Ears

Re: My winter project
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »
This is going to be cool! Thanks Dave,

Bob

Offline wattlebuster

Re: My winters project
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Looking good ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bart

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
Fantastic stuff!! I love Sheetz rifles.. David you are one talented fella, thanks for posting this.

Bart

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
Going to be one fine rifle........Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
Almost done! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »
That is some clean work Dave! Do keep us updated on your progress with this rifle gunne. Love what you've done so far.

dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:25:33 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
Dave, Very Nice work !! I may have missed it in a previous post but, if you don`t mind will you tell a little about your modifying of the triggers . They look really neat. Thanks Nathan

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
Going to be a real pretty rifle, your client will be very happy

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »
 Looks Great, I really like how you did the Pipes with the Silver, really cool. Can't wait for the next installment.

Tim C.

pushboater

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 05:26:25 PM »
Well on its way and looking great! Nice work. Love those RR pipes!

David

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
I love it David and great job so far. I like what you have done to the Davis triggers. It's that little extra that makes a rifle "Above Average"  ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline ScottH

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
This is going to be a spectacular rifle when finished!
Would it be possible to convert it to flint by changing the lock and putting a touch hole liner in place of the drum?
thanks for sharing the pics!  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 09:57:58 PM »
Nice work, David - you should being this fellow along with you & Gail to Hefley next year.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ghost

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
Really nice! But, it's not winter yet ::)

Offline David Rase

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Thanks guys for all the interest.  I still have a long way to go.  Unfortunately, I must set the gun aside for a couple of weeks and inlet a few barrels and finish up an Isaac Haines project that is ahead of this one.  I am sure I will sneak in a bit of work on this one.  It is hard to put down a project you are really enthusiastic about.
David

[/quote]
Dave, Very Nice work !! I may have missed it in a previous post but, if you don`t mind will you tell a little about your modifying of the triggers . They look really neat. Thanks Nathan
Nathan, The mods to the triggers include cutting off and silver soldering on new wider trigger shoes, cutting a grove across the trigger plate ahead of the front trigger and silver soldering in a piece of mild steel for the new trigger adjustment screw, welding up the old trigger adjustment screw between the front and rear triggers and silver soldering extension plates to both of the trigger knifes and then filing them down until the rattle is removed from the triggers.  I still need to harden and polish the contact points.

This is going to be a spectacular rifle when finished!
Would it be possible to convert it to flint by changing the lock and putting a touch hole liner in place of the drum?
thanks for sharing the pics!  ;D
Scott, I have engaged the client in conversation several times to discuss how much "I" would like the rifle to be a flintlock.  We have also talked about how much more it would add to the rifle.  He agreed that maybe someday we could "reconvert" it to flintlock ignition.  With that said, I took the liberty to manufacture my own powder drum utilizing 5/16-32 threads, (the same as Chambers uses in hi white lightning liners) so if by some stroke of luck I get the go ahead for a flint ignition,  I am all set to go. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:16 AM »
We have also talked about how much more it would add to the rifle.  He agreed that maybe someday we could "reconvert" it to flintlock ignition.  With that said, I took the liberty to manufacture my own powder drum utilizing 5/16-32 threads, (the same as Chambers uses in hi white lightning liners) so if by some stroke of luck I get the go ahead for a flint ignition,  I am all set to go
Nice looking rifle sure hope he relents on the flint, dang shame to have to leave it as percussion.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:08 AM »
Really nice! But, it's not winter yet ::)
ghost,
Some one else reminded me that winter does not start until Dec. 21.  That's alright, I figure it will probably take me until spring to complete it anyway. ::)
David
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:31:41 AM by David Rase »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 03:40:54 AM »
Great looking  gun Dave. Love the trigger stop and silver touches.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 01:08:04 AM »
I really enjoy watching guys like David go to work...lovely stuff!  Where did you come up with the trigger adjustment idea, David?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 02:22:52 AM »
Looking good!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »
Looking great, David!  Can't wait to see the finished piece...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 03:41:51 AM »
I really like it!  Now, my question is, how much of it came from the article in JHAT and how much came from other sources?
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline David Rase

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 05:38:18 AM »
I really like it!  Now, my question is, how much of it came from the article in JHAT and how much came from other sources?
Wayne,
I have the JHAT book open in my shop and refer to it periodically.  My main source for inspiration is a rifle attributed to John or Henry Sheetz in Whiskers Longrifles of Virginia book.  There are also a couple of small references to that same rifle in JHAT.  Then there is my fantasy factor.
David

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:46 AM »

Wayne,
I have the JHAT book open in my shop and refer to it periodically.  My main source for inspiration is a rifle attributed to John or Henry Sheetz in Whiskers Longrifles of Virginia book.  There are also a couple of small references to that same rifle in JHAT.  Then there is my fantasy factor.
David

You've captured the essence of a Sheetz rifle.   When I saw the head on the wedge key near the muzzle, I was at once reminded of the Sheetz rifle in JHAT. 
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."