Author Topic: Vise location  (Read 3969 times)

Uncle Alvah

Vise location
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:21:08 PM »
I have a new bench put together for my first build, 2'x8'.
I also have a new 6-1/2" bench vise to attach to it.
Should I attach it in the usual left end location or, for this particular purpose, locate it differently?

Offline conquerordie

Re: Vise location
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
I have a couple holes in my bench so I can move the vise depending on where I need it to be. Usually it sits on the left hand side though.
Greg

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
The available space past the bench on either end could have a bearing on locating the vice on the end of the bench. 

For gun building I like the vice in the middle so I can clamp the breech area of the stock in the vice with the stock pointing in either direction as needed, with supports under the forestock, of course.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
I am with Ron, I like my vise in the middle.
David

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
I have a vise at both ends, and a free standing support to get in the way while I work. It works for me.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
For a dedicated gun bench the middle position sounds good to me. I use my bench for other woodworking projects so my vices are on the left front and right end.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:54:48 PM »
I use my gunstockers horse, for 90 percent of my stock work. I only use my bench vises for file work and breaching barrels. BTW my vises are on the right corner of my benches, with me facing the bench.  BJH
P.S. I am right handed ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:42:08 AM by BJH »
BJH

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:27:05 AM »
Middle
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:02 AM »
I use my gunstockers horse, for 90 percent of my stock work. I only use my bench vises for file work and breaching barrels. BTW my vises are on the right corner of my benches, with me facing the bench.  BJH

We found the lefty guys...  8)

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Smoketown

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:09:11 AM »

We found the lefty guys...  8)

dp

Looking at my bench,

Metalworking - On the right.

Woodworking - On the left.

And,  I happen to be right-handed.  ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:08 AM »
On top of the bench, what ever works for you. You may have to try different positions to find you sweet spot.  There is no one absolute spot.  I have two benches, center mounted, and a free standing vise wit a catch/tool tray.  Center mounted allows for supports at both ends.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline kutter

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:46 AM »
I;ve always had the vise mtd on the left end of the bench w/ a little room to spare so it's not at the extreme end, I'm right handed.
 I can't seem to find it comfortable to have the work hanging out of the vise pointing to the left and try to do too much on it.

I just built another bench in my upstairs workshop. A smaller bench, less room around it and I placed the vise a little more towards the center,,but not much. That was  because of the lack of room to the left of the vise,,I wanted to allow for some room to slide the longer stocks and bbls through.
Putting it in the middle just throws me all off!,,I need that room to work and make a big hill of tools;

The 2 gun  factorys and several gun shops I've worked in doing repair all had the vise mounted on the left end of the benches. Probably where I got the reinforcement for it from. But one guy in the last shop I worked insisted on having his moved to the right end of his bench.

No real correct answer,,just whatever is comfortable for you.