Author Topic: A good target  (Read 5263 times)

Offline T*O*F

A good target
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:52:19 PM »
I was pretty proud of this target I shot yesterday.  It allowed me to beat a member of our club who is on the International shooting team and usually wins our monthly matches.  We tied for the 20 shot aggregate, but I beat him because of the 2X on this target.  Wind was 10-15 mph with gusts of 30, which would actually blow your gun off target.  The kicker is that this target, shot at 50 yards,  was stapled backwards, so the bull was not showing, only a white background.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

Re: A good target
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »
Not bad, Dave, not bad at all.  .012" patch? ;)

chapmans

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
  Dave,
  Would that be George?
   Steve

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »
Post it backwards   Hmmmmmmm   So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all these years..... ;D

No brag just fact gotta mention how things can go regards offhand shooting!!!

Saturday we shot at Bl Mt ML club all I managed was a 3rd place at 50 yds.  Could not do well no matter what.

Sunday we shot at Orangeville and I shot over my head,.   shot 2 50's offhand.
50 xxx on standing bear at 50 yds and a 50 on critter tree at 25 yds. I hope I can still shoot that decent when/if I get old! ;) ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »
Good results for a windy day!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:07 AM »
Nice shooting Dave!  

I have the good fortune of being able to shoot against the 2008 Nebraska State Muzzle Loading Rifle Champion (Jim Potter) each month.  (I think this is something like his 4th or 5th time that he's held this honor?)  He is also a member of our local White River Brigade, and belongs to other clubs (bigger clubs) as well.  He's also the NMLRA Field Rep for our area.  An "A-Number One" guy for sure!  

I think shooting against Potter has made me a better shooter, (as well as the other members) and sometimes one of us pull out a win here and there against him, but not to often.  Good fun, good sportsmanship all around!  We're all enjoying the shoots and having fun! :)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:32:01 AM »

So, Dave, how did you manage to screw up the other three shots! ???

Truthfully, a nice target!

I think shooting against Potter has made me a better shooter, (as well as the other members) and sometimes one of us pull out a win here and there against him, but not to often.  Good fun, good sportsmanship all around!  We're all enjoying the shoots and having fun!

I like that point of view.  A quite a few years ago I recall a member of my clug writing an article in the newsletter suggesting that those who have won so many contests in the past shoud step aside and let others win.  That rubbed me the wrong way.  Shooting against the best makes us better.  When the best step aside it gives us nothing to shoot for (pun intended :))  I'd much rather lose to the best than beat the worst.
Mike Lee

northmn

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
Good target, especially reversed where you do not have a good aiming point.  50 yards is a good range for a rifle.  You have to shoot almost as tight at 50 as at 25 to do well.   

So, Dave, how did you manage to screw up the other three shots! ???

Truthfully, a nice target!

I think shooting against Potter has made me a better shooter, (as well as the other members) and sometimes one of us pull out a win here and there against him, but not to often.  Good fun, good sportsmanship all around!  We're all enjoying the shoots and having fun!

I like that point of view.  A quite a few years ago I recall a member of my clug writing an article in the newsletter suggesting that those who have won so many contests in the past shoud step aside and let others win.  That rubbed me the wrong way.  Shooting against the best makes us better.  When the best step aside it gives us nothing to shoot for (pun intended :))  I'd much rather lose to the best than beat the worst.

Thats one of the reasons I dropped out.  Too much whining about the better shots that paid their dues.  Good target especially placed backwards where there is no good reference point to aim at.  50 yards is a tough range to score on.  You have to shoot about as tight as a 25 yard target to win.

DP

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
It is actually easier to shoot a target backwards. Your eye will always try to find center of
a blank piece of paper. We shot these back 40 years ago. I remember shooting a 50 at
50 yds and only coming in 3rd.
The Pistol Shooter

northmn

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
It may be easier for you, it ain't for me.  Good target shooters I knew would do their best to get a center hit on the first shot so they could aim for the hole with later hits.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
DP- spot-on- hole chasing can give good rewards - or not.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree completely.  Never penalize anyone who has spent their time honing their skills just to appease those that do not, and simply will not.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:40:24 PM by Candle Snuffer »