Author Topic: Harpers Ferry Rifle  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Joey R

Harpers Ferry Rifle
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
I'm building aan 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle and I need some advice on the best way to solder the under rib on the barrel. The barrel is a Getz octagon to round. Thanks, Sparkylock.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Harpers Ferry Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:00:07 AM »
When I built halfstocks with ribs I tinned both surfaces carefully and separately with a big old soldering iron, bound the rib into place with black wire, and sweated it all together.  Then I'd feed a little extra solder in at the muzzle end to fill any gap there.  Scrub it all down well with soap and steel wool and you're good to go to the browning or bluing stage.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:01:02 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:23 AM »
 Tin both surfaces to be joined.  Use soap stone to prevent solder from sticking where you do not want solder.  I put just a very light coat of flux on the bottom surface of the rib after it has cooled and then set the rib onto the barrel where you want it.  I then use metal spring clamps to hold the rib into place.  I then heat right at the juncture of the two pieces, but mainly on the barrel until the solder melts and the spring clamps push the rib down tight onto the barrel.  Let everything sent until the solder is set and the barrel is cooled slowly.  I then clean up making sure to remove any trace of of solder at the joint.   You can then finish as you wish---just don't hot blue or your will have two pieces again.     Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Joey R

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:17:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm going to give it a try in the next couple of days after I round up everything.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill