Author Topic: barrel advice  (Read 3443 times)

Offline littlefat

barrel advice
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »
 i looking for advice on what brand of swamped barrel I should buy. I 'm looking at 42" to 44"  in 50 cal.. I found colerain to be the least expensive over Rice or Getz. I own 1 getz and it is a great shooter but have no experiance with the other 's. Can anybody give me some info.   Thank's ???

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: barrel advice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »
we all have bias and favourites.  the truth is that all of the barrel makers  produce high quality good shooting barrels.  qualifying that, i have been completely happy as far as accuracy goes, with all the barrels i've used from a dozen various makers.  if the bore is of UNIFORM DIMENSION and smooth end to end, and is rifled, it will likely shoot better than you can.
How's that for stepping out onto the limb.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:39:09 AM »
Availability can be a major factor, too.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:58:43 AM »
wofat-- I have the kind of barrel that you are looking for--but first check out the add entitled "premium rifle barrel" on the "wanted/for sale" page. However that one is sold. But if the add gets your attention give me a buzz.  ;)                  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:46:45 AM »
Green Mountain.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
You didn`t state if you needed a barrel to fit a precarve or if you are custom building. Getz, Hoyt and Rayl will make you a barrel to your specs. Most of the other makers are oriented to producing specific patterns. I think you will find they all will perform well if one takes the time to carefully work up proper loads. So I would suggest establishing exactly what your barrel needs to fit, how much your budget is and then what your desired delivery time is.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
For off the shelf, "available today" swamped barrels I'd go with Rice over Colerain, just my preference.  I met those guys and like them and their approach to business.  They brought a trailer full of barrels to Dixon's last time I was there and rpetty much sold out the popular sizes and bores.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
I agree with Taylor providing your just going to shoot roundballs.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
My favorites are Rice and Getz, with perhaps a slight nod to Rice.  However, I usually use Colerain.  They are generally more readily available, and they shoot fine.  The outside is rougher.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."