Author Topic: rifle brass barrels  (Read 8123 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
rifle brass barrels
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:38:51 AM »
Went with the search engine maybe not using the right words did not find much on the subject.
What time periode would we find them . Was there any specific school making them. If one builds a rifle does it fall in a contemporary build if the barrel is brass even if makes a pure copy of a specific school. I have a few books but find no mention of them.
Denis
Denis

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: rifle brass barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:45:44 AM »
I would use Naval Bronze for such a project not brass.
But I would not make a rifle of such a material anyway nor wouild I hang around while some one shot one.
Its not worth the risk. One worry would be the quality of the material.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:49:25 AM »
 the question is mostly history related, just wandering about the time period it could of being use, and if someone was to build a rifle would it be considered historically correct .
Denis

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »
Denis,  Rifle number 103 in Vol. II of Rifles of Colonial America has a brass barrel.  Wallace Gusler restored restored the barrel using 18th century brass to cast a new section.  Here is a link to the Brass Barreled Gun on Gary Brumfield's sight.  I'm sure Gary could tell us a lot more.
 http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Antiques/Brass%20Barrel%20Rifle.htm
DMR

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
Denis,

Dphariss's opinion notwithstanding, I built and have put a couple of thousand rounds through a 4 gage blunderbuss with a brass (not bronze) barrel.  (Some bronzes are excellent barrel materials as well - mine just happen to be brass).  I also have several .62 cal brass barreled pistols and two cannons (2.5 inch bore and a 1 inch bore) that I shoot fairly regularly.  They are all brass and I shoot standard, appropriate charges for each of the calibers.  Without starting all the old arguments again about appropriate materials for muzzle loading gun barrels, brasses, of varoius types, have worked just fine for a few hundred years.  There are several brass alloys that have better mechanical properties (tensil strength, yield strength, elongation, etc.) than most mild steels.  I would not hesitate to make a barrel, rifle or otherwise, out of brass.  In the pictures below, I am shooting 200 to 250 grains of F powder behind a 1.050 inch diameter lead, steel or zinc ball.  (The steel ones are actually 1.0 inch in diameter and are old ball bearings - I consider them to be my "armor piercing" ammo.)  I can't address you original question about what time frame or school, but the material makes a good barrel.  They engrave beautifully as well.

Dave C

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:19:37 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
Holy Mackerel, Dave, is all that flame for real? It looks like so much flame that it must be photoshopped in. That is awesome.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »
With that much flame, you don't really need a ball....just cook em' where they stand.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
When checking the mechanical properties did you look into work hardening?

Dan

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »
Dan,

Work hardening is the result of plastic deformation.  (You have to permanently bend the paper clip back and forth to work harden it to the point of failure.) If the material you are working with is not subjected to loads that permanently deform it, it is not being work hardened.  That's how springs work without failing due to work hardening.  This applies to all materials including brasses and steels.  A gun barrel, made of any material, that plastically (i.e. permanently) deforms with firing will work harden and probably, ultimately, fail.  However, if the barrel walls are thick enough to remain within their elastic limit during service use, the barrel is not work hardening.  This is easy to check - if the bore increases in size at all due to firing, it is being plastically deformed and, therefore, work hardened.  If there is no dimensional change in the bore diameter, the material is operating within its elastic limits and will not work harden or decrease in strength.  The bores on none of my brass barreled guns have increased in diameter.

Within limits, work hardening also has advantages in gun barrels, since it strengthens the material that has been work hardened making its tensile strength higher.  In button rifled barrels, the bore is drilled undersize for the intended final diameter.  The inside surface layer of the barrel is plastically (permanently) deformed by the passage of the rifling button through it.  This work hardens the ID of the barrel and, thereby, substantially increases the strength and hardness of the barrel inside surface.  However, the deformation is so small that the material farther from the bore ID is not plastically deformed and remains within its elastic limits.  After the rifling button passes through the bore, the outer portion of the barrel elastically returns to its original dimension.  This puts the bore in compression and acts much like the tension wires in pre-stressed concrete do to magnify its strength.  The same idea is at play when composite material structures, like carbon / epoxy pressure vessels, are autofrettaged during final processing.  (In autofrettage , a metallic liner in the tank is plastically deformed by purposely pressurizing the tank far past its rated pressure.  When the pressure is relieved, the composite material outer layer returns to (or close to) its original size and the liner is now in compression and better able to resist internal pressure making a stronger, lighter tank.)  The same situation occurred in the manufacture of Parrott artillery when a wrought iron breach was attached to the gun by means of a heavy shrink fit.  This also put the cast iron part of the breach in compression increasing its strength.

The bottom line here is if the barrel isn't getting bigger with each shot, you don't need to worry about work hardening.

Dave C

P.S.  Acer,

Yes, the flame is for real and, by the way, I think that shot was only 180 grains and not the usual 250 grains of 1F powder.  This photo was taken in very bright sunlight.  You ought to see the fireball at night !!!  It takes a while to recover your night vision after a shot.  I told one fellow, it's not really a gun, it's more like "shoulder fired artillery".

I let a friend of mine shoot it one day, and I even lightened the load, but he was not prepared for the recoil and managed to spin around a few times and then drop the gun in the dirt muzzle first.  I built it back in 2002 and it is heavily engraved - it was my first "all out" engraving attempt and I was horrified to see it drop to the ground.  However, when I dusted it off, there was nary a scratch on the polished brass barrel or even the oil finished walnut stock.  So now, until someone is used to firing it, I load it down to only 100 grains or so for their first couple of shots.  It is actually quite pleasant to shoot because the gun itself is so heavy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:56:22 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »
The "Deschler rifle" in EK's site and also featured in one of his Muzzle Blasts articles has a brass barrel, somewhat crude.  I believe Ed Rayl will and does make such barrels on request.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
I have a Rayl brass barrel that I haven't used yet.  I'm going to do a German rifle with it (whenever I get around to it).  I'll make a brass lock to go with it.   ;)

There's not any particular "school" that used brass barrels.  They are RARE in America.  Not so rare in Germany.  Not exactly common, but not "rare".

I think Getz will make a brass barrel as well????
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »
Dan,

Work hardening is the result of plastic deformation.  (You have to permanently bend the paper clip back and forth to work harden it to the point of failure.) If the material you are working with is not subjected to loads that permanently deform it, it is not being work hardened.  That's how springs work without failing due to work hardening.  This applies to all materials including brasses and steels.  A gun barrel, made of any material, that plastically (i.e. permanently) deforms with firing will work harden and probably, ultimately, fail.  However, if the barrel walls are thick enough to remain within their elastic limit during service use, the barrel is not work hardening.  This is easy to check - if the bore increases in size at all due to firing, it is being plastically deformed and, therefore, work hardened.  If there is no dimensional change in the bore diameter, the material is operating within its elastic limits and will not work harden or decrease in strength.  The bores on none of my brass barreled guns have increased in diameter.

Within limits, work hardening also has advantages in gun barrels, since it strengthens the material that has been work hardened making its tensile strength higher.  In button rifled barrels, the bore is drilled undersize for the intended final diameter.  The inside surface layer of the barrel is plastically (permanently) deformed by the passage of the rifling button through it.  This work hardens the ID of the barrel and, thereby, substantially increases the strength and hardness of the barrel inside surface.  However, the deformation is so small that the material farther from the bore ID is not plastically deformed and remains within its elastic limits.  After the rifling button passes through the bore, the outer portion of the barrel elastically returns to its original dimension.  This puts the bore in compression and acts much like the tension wires in pre-stressed concrete do to magnify its strength.  The same idea is at play when composite material structures, like carbon / epoxy pressure vessels, are autofrettaged during final processing.  (In autofrettage , a metallic liner in the tank is plastically deformed by purposely pressurizing the tank far past its rated pressure.  When the pressure is relieved, the composite material outer layer returns to (or close to) its original size and the liner is now in compression and better able to resist internal pressure making a stronger, lighter tank.)  The same situation occurred in the manufacture of Parrott artillery when a wrought iron breach was attached to the gun by means of a heavy shrink fit.  This also put the cast iron part of the breach in compression increasing its strength.

The bottom line here is if the barrel isn't getting bigger with each shot, you don't need to worry about work hardening.

Dave C

Dave

I really cannot respond to this in any way except to say you have some really "outside the box" ideas and you might want to consult a metallurgist concerning "work hardening".  Or perhaps look into Remingtons 1140M shotgun barrel fiasco/lawsuit.

Dan

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »
Dan,

This whole subject of metallurgy and structural analysis is very complicated and not easily dealt with in short paragraphs on a forum like this.    I design and build rocket propulsion systems for weapon and space systems for a living.  (As a point of interest, the Space Shuttle MCC (Main Combustion Chamber) operates at 3000 psi and at a combustion temperature of ~6,000 degrees F...and it's made out of a copper alloy that melts at ~ 1800 degrees F - neat trick.).   I work full time with excellent metallurgists, material properties engineers, and stress analysts.  Most of them shoot my brass barreled guns with me.  I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else here.  I'm just saying I build barrels out of brass (along with many others much more experienced in barrel making than I am) and I have yet to hear of any of the barrels failing catastrophically in normal usage.  Let it suffice to say that you are not comfortable with brass barrels and I am.

All the best.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »
Oh, man, I could see the Remington thing coming....

:-X

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »
Just for your perusal:

A late 17th century German rifle with brass barrel.  Hard to see, but check out those little V grooves!!

The little Iron mounted Dutch-ish rifle has square grooves, by the way.

Sorry, not great photos.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:36:17 PM by Stophel »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
On the subject of law suits.....Several years ago during one of the gas shortages, some nit wit was storing gasoline in an open bath tub (in his bathroom !!!!!)  The day came when he needed gas and it wasn't his day to go to the pump.  He decided to use his Electrolux vacuum cleaner to pump the gas out of the tub and into a 5 gallon Jerry can.  He took out the bag, stuck a hose in both ends of the vacuum cleaner, dropped the suction hose in the tub, and flipped the switch.  Some how, in the resulting explosion, the ner-do-well escaped being a Darwin award winner by being blown completely clear of the house (through a wall that was no longer there.)

As these things go, some lawyer (sort of like the sharks we keep sending to Congress) got this joker to sue Electrolux because they didn't print a warning lable on the vacuum cleaner that said it would be dangerous to pump flamable liquids with it.  The judge / jury agreed and awarded the jerk, and his attorney, a $#*! of a lot of money.  The point of the story is that I place very little, if any, creedance in what the outcome of a lawsuit says about anything...especially difficult engineering decisions...you know...like pumping gas with a vacuum cleaner, or shooting a shotgun with mud in the bore !!!! 

DC
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:23:43 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »

Thanks David found it. Like the book says it is of German origin .
neat gun.
Denis

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 05:35:33 AM »
On the subject of law suits.....Several years ago during one of the gas shortages, some nit wit was storing gasoline in an open bath tub (in his bathroom !!!!!)  Tha day came when he needed gas and it wasn't his day to go to the pump.  He decided to use his Electrolux vacuum cleaner to pump the gas out of the tub and into a 5 gallon Jerry can.  He took out the bag, stuck a hose in both ends of the vacuum cleaner, dropped the suction hose in the tub, and flipped the switch.  Some how, in the resulting explosion, the ner-do-well escaped being a Darwin award winner by being blown completely clear of the house (through a wall that was no longer there.)

As these things go, some lawyer (sort of like the sharks we keep sending to Congress) got this joker to sue Electrolux because they didn't print a warning lable on the vacuum cleaner that said it would be dangerous to pump flamable liquids with it.  The judge / jury agreed and awarded the jerk, and his attorney, a $#*! of a lot of money.  The point of the story is that I place very little, if any, creedance in what the outcome of a lawsuit says about anything...especially difficult engineering decisions...you know...like pumping gas with a vacuum cleaner, or shooting a shotgun with mud in the bore !!!! 

DC

Its not getting any better Dave.

Dan

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:08 AM »
I'm with you there, Dan.  I just posted some pictures (Over the Back Fence) of kids I teach how to build rockets as a practical way of teaching a lot of solid engineering and math in an exciting way for the students.  Most of their parents, who come out with the kids to the launches, can't believe I will do this stuff for the students and risk being sued.  My response is that someone has to let them DO something other than watch TV, fiddle with an IPOD, and bang on a computer keyboard.  I consider it doing something positive for the world when I can teach a youngster how to use a file or a drill or a hack saw and help them develop some semblance of manual dexterity.  I told Acer a story not too long ago.  When I was a boy, I worked for an old blacksmith (he was 103).  He was teaching me how to hammer out something or other one day and he stopped for a moment,  looked at me and said, "Always remember, civilization never went anywhere a blacksmith didn't feel like going."  He was right then and he is right now - someone has to know how to do plumbing, lay bricks, make a hinge, fix a wheel....you can't do everything on a computer....lawyers or no!

All the best, Dan

dave c
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Hi Dave
First off do not take this as any kind of personal attack.
It is very difficult sometimes to get points across in print without seeming abrupt, rude etc etc.
I may be blunt and sometimes  :P   I go on rants. But bear with here.
On the subject of work hardening. Yes it is written that it requires plastic deformation.
But how do we explain the term "fatigue life" which does not require plastic deformation of the material to produce failure? I think this is what occurred in the Remington shotguns. Why do I mention Remington shotguns? The stuff I read sometime back and of course can't find on the WWW anymore, detailed what I was trying to get across. It was well researched and seemed to be conclusive. Remingtons legal team was not able to refute the explanation. The class action stuff is more available and does not say the same things I recall from the personal injury case.
The White Lab report on the blown Indian made musket was a joke in comparison.  They were paid to find a mechanism for bursting the barrel, which they did, apparently they were not paid to do any metallurgy.... But some people gleefully quote this as proving that DOM tubing is safe for musket barrels. I read the report, what was released to the public anyway and had more questions after reading it than before.

Using a material that is already brittle or that will become brittle or that usually has built in flaws like tubing can easily can cause problems. All cold drawn steels are brittle and most are brittle at room temperature. This means they tend to burst before deforming, but not all the time. Sometimes nitro propellants will produce brittle fracture in materials that are not supposed to be brittle. Isn't this fun?? Except for certain underload and overload scenarios with smokeless powder blowups are often impossible to recreate. A barrel fails and then an identical or even thinner wall barrel of the same material simply cannot be blown or even significantly bulged. But why did the barrel blow? "Had to be loading error" but the shoot is adamant that it was not????? Now we get back to the "whose fault was it" and like unexplained airplane crashed its gets blamed on the "pilot in command".
How about "hoop strength", a materials ability to tolerate internal pressure.
Some materials that work very well for some applications have far different characteristics when internal pressure is applied and this invariably gets worse when the pressure rises rapidly as in firearms barrels.
Pressure inside the barrel goes from atmospheric to 10000 to 60000 psi plus or minus 1/1000 of a second.
Since you have access to metallurgists see if they can tell you about fatigue life and why the Remington barrels failed. Ask they have looked into firearms failures or if they know colleagues who have.
Really.
As a gunsmith or manufacturer it can be tough to get a metallurgist to get into the subject of burst barrels. When it comes from the firearms industry metallurgists, in my experience, tend to "duck and cover" to avoid being called to testify in some lawsuit. The last word I got concerning barrel steels came from a professor of metallurgy via an email from the prof to a friend of a friend so I did not even know the guys name, and it simply stated "why would anyone use anything but chrome-moly for gun barrels". I had asked about using "stress proof" as BL gun barrels and that was all the answer I got. Of course there were other answers as well. But the guy I got the sentence long comment from was not being paid by anyone to give an opinion.
So if you can do it see if you can get your colleagues to do a little research and give an opinion. I see this as an opportunity. I have many questions. For example, how is it that in some barrel failures the split in the barrel progresses faster than the bullet is traveling and parts of the bullet are left in the crack? Why do some barrels break and others just bulge?
So far as ML barrels etc. I know barrel makers, people who run firearms companies etc etc. Back in the 1970s early 80s it seems like John Baird got a report on every blown up ML that any subscriber heard about. There were quite a few actually and not all were "explainable". There were failures, for example, of Douglas barrels, at least 2 splitting at the breech with service charges and another Douglas barrel with serious bore obstruction that simply bulged.  I have a photo of a sectioned bulged barrel someplace that I scanned out of an old Buckskin Report. The barrel simply bulged at the location of the ball that went down about 8" and stopped, there was heat related discoloration at that point but no cracks. The owner got P.O.ed and shot it out of a very expensive rifle which, since the barrel did not break, survived to be sent back to the maker and rebarreled.
I know a man who likely makes more barrels in a year than the US ML barrel industry does combined. But I can't quote him on this website without being attacked.
The scary part is the things that can be "gotten away with". A ML gunsmith in the town I live in (there used to be 2 at least in  the 1970s) had a caplock  import brought in to him because it was misfiring. This particular pipe bomb has a drum screwed into the barrel that looks like a small bolster. The smith disassembled the gun and in removing the drum it turned about 1/4 turn and FELL OUT. Yet it withstood a range session. So when I see a post or hear a comment about some wonderful thing they have bought or made in such & such a manner (like they did it in the old days perhaps) or out of this or that material and that its safe since it has not blown up I silently add "yet".
I don't make statements about safety off the top of my head. I actually do have some background.
I fully understand the "idiot factor". But I also know there are a LOT of guns out there, vintage, new ML and "reproduction" breechloaders that are just waiting for that "special" stacking of circumstances to hurt someone.
I examined a rifle used in cowboy action shooting that spit out parts, with no barrel damage BTW, that cost a shooter his eye and came within a hare's breath of killing him. Was it his fault? Sure. He was trying to blame the manufacturer. He had a couple of gunsmiths who agreed with him. I did not, it was impossible for the scenario to have gone as he was proposing, the gun could not be made to do it. Surely did not make him happy but shortly after I published my opinion on this I walked into a gunsmiths shop in the city he lives in and the owner came out of the office with a photocopy of the article, congratulated me and then pulled a broken SA colt copy out of drawer and said "same guy".
HOWEVER, the rifle design he was shooting is NOT SAFE WITH SMOKELESS POWDER in my opinion. Why? It has no safety features. Had he been shooting a copy of design from a few years later, in the 1880s, I will call them second generation lever actions, he would have likely suffered no injury at all to gun or shooter. But the "first gen" guns are EXTREMELY reliable at high speeds and the CAS competitors use a lot of them for this reason. So these things are made in quantity in Italy some even with brass frames.
Now we run into MLs.
We have people shooting blanks in import muskets and bursting them with "bore obstructions". We have virulently corrosive propellants and low end MLs with fouling traps that keep the corrosive fouling in contact with the steel where it eats "crawdad holes" in breeches. I have seen PHOTOS this is not supposition plus a European national proof house telling a resident of that country virtually the same thing. But if you post it on a web site some "expert" will at least infer you are an idiot. Never mind my years of looking at ruined bores in virtually new guns while guns used with BP suffered no ill effects, research by people who have spent years looking at BP and replicas powders, this is all "impossible" to someone who has not spent 5 minutes researching the topic.
So forgive me. I have grown somewhat skeptical and probably even dismissive of many things I read.

But do see what information can be gleaned from the metallurgists. But ask them to take some time and LOOK not just answer off the top of their heads because firearms, frankly, are not rocket science. The pressure is high, there is very rapid pressure rise and this does make a difference as to how materials react.
Wind is down need to go shoot.
Dan