Author Topic: Resource listing of American Gunsmiths  (Read 156256 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Resource listing of American Gunsmiths
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
1. American Gun Makers - including Supplement of American Gun Makers
by ARCADI GLUCKMAN, Colonel U. S. Army Ret. and L. D. SATTERLEE, THE BTACKFOhE
CO., HARRISBURG, PA.

https://archive.org/stream/gunmaker00satt/gunmaker00satt_djvu.txt

2. American Gunmakers  by Frank Sellers, ( The Gun Room Press, Highland Park, NJ )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:00:24 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Dakota60

Re: Resource listing of American Gunsmiths
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
As the great, great, great, great granddaughter of Christoffel Long of Albany Township, Berks County, PA, 1800's, I'm surprised to not see his name listed as one of the first American Gunsmiths.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:55:57 AM »
Hi, I am a direct decendent of Berryman H. Compton of giles county tenneessee. Why isn't his name on this list?

You have one of his guns in the virtual library.

Thank you in advance,

Tim G. Compton
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Lankyshooter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:41:08 AM »
Great information!  I have a longrifle that I got from my Grandmother-in-law (who is now 97 years old).  It belonged to my Grandfather-in-law who I never met.  I believe he actually hunted with it from time to time.    He lived in a small town about 40 minutes North of Pittsburgh, PA.  I am assuming it is is some kind of Pennsylvania longrifle, but of course he could have purchased it from someone from the Kentucky area.  It is a percussion cap rifle with an octagon barrell.  It is tough to read, but I believe it says either "IKW. HENRY" or "IXW. HENRY" on the side plate under the hammer.  I read all of the stuff about William Henry I, II and III.  I also read about J.J. Henry, etc.  I didn't see anything mentioning the two possibilites mentioned above.  If you or anyone else you know could shed some light on the maker of this rifle and/or the approximate year it was made I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!

PS: I can send photos if you feel they would be helpful.