Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Family Percussion Rifle  (Read 1045 times)

calbake

Need Help Identifying Family Percussion Rifle
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »
Hey all,

I’ve been scouring the Internet on and off for the past several years looking for as much information as possible on this gun. I don’t have an extended history on it but I know it has been in my family for at least 50 years. It belonged to my maternal grandfather who unfortunately passed away when my mother was very young. He was in the Navy in the mid-20th century.  Beyond that I don’t have much information of its history or how he acquired it.  There are a number of marks underneath the barrel, all of which are at least semi-legible to the naked eye. The gun has seen a good amount of use as the stock is covered in dings and scratches. A chunk of wood is missing from the stock and several screws are missing (which is why I can take it apart so easily). Most of the marks have turned up no search results when scouring other forums, but the most easily identifiable is the EL which is the proofmark of Liege Belgium.

In addition, many of the marks are facing different directions which leads me to believe they were out there at different times. Most of the marks have turned up no search results, including the most legible marking - “CFH”

I understand that a significant amount of Belgian firearms were imported during the Civil War by both sides of the aisle. I do have direct ancestors that fought on both sides of the war, although I know it will be impossible to prove that this gun was owned by any of them or had seen any sort of battle.

I am far from an antique arms collector so I am relying solely on the information others have posted. I have not found any pictures online of the same firearm so far. I understand this is the American Long Rifle forum so there may be better places to ask this, but I truly would appreciate any help that anyone could offer.

I can post additional pictures if needed or will answer anyone’s questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.