Author Topic: Kibler's Longrifles  (Read 15965 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Kibler's Longrifles
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
There's been some mention of our kit business in another post, so I thought I would just take a few minutes to talk about how things are going and where we're heading. 

To sum things up, things are good.  In fact very good.  It's been a pile of work for sure.  As Jim Chambers mentioned, I underestimated what this takes, especially the up front work.  I think this is pretty typical though. 

Bottom line is we're committed to the kit business, are working hard to grow it and investing every dime we can.  Fast growth is tough and right now working hard to push things to the next level.  We're just finishing up a new shop that's almost 3000 square feet.  We've also just recently placed an order for a new CNC stock carving machine that will do things faster and better than the old set-up.  This type of equipment isn't cheap and requires significant commitment.

With this the case, we'll be starting to develop new models very soon.  This takes time, but the great thing is that after the up-front investment, we will receive the benefits for years.  I would anticipate an earlier, bigger caliber gun being available sometime this coming year.

We're working hard to make a product as good as it can possibly be and run the business as well as we can.  We're learning a lot as we go, but have set a high bar for our expectations. 

Some of our future goals are to buy equipment and do more CNC metal work, develop a more extensive line of products and grow the business as much as makes sense.  This all takes time, but I know we'll get there.

As time passes, we know we are going to need additional help, so if anybody has any ideas of those who might be interested, let us know.

Thanks for all the support, and if you have any questions, just let us know.

All the best,
Jim

Outside view of shop as of 12-31-16

Exhibition grade customer supplied fancy walnut stock right off the machine

Offline Angus

Re: Kibler's Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
That is pretty cool. You are surely loving the blank canvas to layout a picture to the muzzleloading future. Good luck and best wishes for the coming year!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »
Congratulations Jim,hope the new year brings you much success with this.That one fine looking shop and hope it serves you well.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
 Outstanding!

Tim

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
Hi Jim.....not only do you have the talent and artistry to make  exquisite LRs, but also the business acumen ...this is rarely the case, but you've put the 2 skills together and  have a successful business.....good luck on your future endeavors.....Fred

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
I vote for a Lehigh and a Reading-Berks.

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 11:04:26 PM »
I vote for a Lehigh and a Reading-Berks.

Ditto what Nate said. I have one of your Tennessee Rifles and will be first in line for your next one. Outstanding work Jim.

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:49:42 AM »
Excellent in every way, pretty much what I expect from you :)!

Build what you like and people desire.  My tastes are relatively bizzarre and wouldn't appeal to a large crowd, so I won't make any suggestions of designs, as they wouldn't be helpful in terms of marketing success, but I hope you continue to pick interesting models that aren't already over-represented, and I know you will.  Your first one was a home run in my book, by the way.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:02:42 AM »
Jim,

Glad to hear that things are going so well.

The new shop, looks like a beautiful blank canvas.
Can't wait to see what comes from it in 2017.

Best of the luck for the new year,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 04:40:37 AM »
Jim,
  Very impressive set up and all the best for your future endeavors!
  It was a pleasure meeting you and Katherine, and, Little Dog!
  Is that the same walnut blank you showed Rob and I when we were there?  If so, do you have any of those scraps left LOL ;D ::)
  Good luck on your venture, and Happy New Year!
                                                                                   Denny Shreckengost

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:51:57 AM »
Jim, how are you doing your programming? I assume you have a cad/cam, or newer, program for this task? The real problem with NC is creating a good NC program to make those cuts. Of course finding a setup man who can get it done and is somewhat creative with fixturing is a priceless asset too.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
Good luck Jim with your future endeavors. I am sure that you have the skills and the drive to make it very successful
Happy New Year

Charlie

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »
Jim,
Glad to hear that things are going so well for you and the future looks even brighter. Hope you consider us lefties at some time.
Mark
Mark

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Jim,
Glad to hear that things are going so well for you and the future looks even brighter. Hope you consider us lefties at some time.
Mark

Hope so to. That would be great!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
Please make your next run something Revolutionary War era.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the update and pictures Jim.
Another Leftie, along with Mark and Rolf. I know you can't just flip a switch to offer a few of everything to each and everyone out here, so I just sit back and enjoy seeing someone with the courage to invest a lot of time and money to advance the world of "kit-guns", do well.
The only recommendation I'm going to offer is that you keep your suppliers moving ahead with you.

IMHO: as long as you're offering your CNC kits specifically fitted with Rice barrels and Chambers locks...you'll never have an "issue" with finished rifles that don't perform up to their potential.
Best wishes for the New Year. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 11:46:05 PM »
Great to hear of the new shop and new goodies yet to come. All the best to you and Katherine, may 2017 be a great year for both of you!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 01:53:21 AM »
Hi Jim,
Thank you for the update on your progress.  It is just impressive to say the least.  I really admire Kate and you for taking the risks and making it work.  You two are a great team.  My hope for a new kit is a gun that would be hard to produce as a kit without the advantage of CNC machinery, perhaps a Lehigh, Bucks, or Emmitsburg gun.  That said, I know you have to go where the market dictates to pay for the investment.  I wonder where that takes you?  Good luck, Jim and Kate, and my best wishes are always with you.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:56 AM »
Jim,

It is obvious that you are making big investments and taking a big risk.   I hope it pays off for you. 

Mark

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »
My southern rifle set arrived and it is wonderful...
I'm sure Jim's whole line is going to be first rate and
as others have mentioned will be setting a new standard.
Thanks Mr. Kibler.
tc

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
Jim, just wanted to let you know that if i lived a little closer, i would be glad to help you in the shop just for the experience. My oldest son is professionally trained in the cad/cnc field and i know that he would be more than happy to help you out as well. He has his own successful business and i know you and Catherine and of course, (Little Dog) will do the same. My hats off to you both! By the way, my name is in your
hat for an early SMR Virginia style rifle if you ever decide to go in that direction. Respectfully, Mike

PS: I could probably keep the floor swept at least, lol
Mikeh

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding future designs.  I've been considering a Lehigh at some point and perhaps a smooth bore of some kind, but a bigger Rev War period rifle will probably come first.

Darkhorse:  I use cad/cam packages for the program and do everything myself.  It's not easy, for sure.  A longrifle stock is a complex beast and the nature of it makes machining pretty tricky.  I design the whole process and set-up, make all the fixturing etc.  I like this type of work, but do miss the artistic aspect of custom building.  Hopefully in time I'll be able to do a bit of both.  It really is magical what CNC can do when the process is fully developed. 

Don Steele:  I hear what your saying about suppliers.  Some have been great and others have been more difficult.  This has been a frustrating part of the business.  As mentioned, we've set a high bar for ourselves, and it's hard when others don't share the same level of motivation.  Foundries have been difficult and it's become clear that the more we can adapt CNC to the metal work the better off we will be.  There are limitations of course, but lots of applications as well.  Everything takes time though.  As an aside if anyone has leads on a small VMC keep us in mind.  I may consider used equipment.  A lot of people from a variety of backgrounds read these posts...

Mikeh:  Thanks for mentioning the possibility of help in the shop.  The new work shop will have a bedroom for people who are visiting, students, etc.  You never know, we might be able to work something out sometime.  One thing for sure, this type work is largely production work and can get pretty boring.  It's a different world than building custom guns.  My girlfriend Katherine and I basically run the business and have an additional employee a couple days a week.  I know we'll need more help in time, so I thought it would be good to throw out some feelers...

It's been about a year since we started this endeavor and from a business standpoint it's been great.  To be honest, it's been really hard too!  There are so many more aspects to running an operation like this than I ever imagined.  It's so easy to look at something from the outside and not consider everything.    But as I said, we're super excited about the future, have big plans and are committed to making this a continuing success.  We have high expectations and intend to reach them!

Thanks everybody,
Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
Jim, I gotta say that you and Kate are putting yourselves into this 200%. My hat's off to you.

This is the first time that a rifle of such quality and lines has been engineered to such a degree. The finished gun, no matter who puts it together, will look good. This is especially important for those getting into gun building for the first time. It's also important for those who have built a number of guns already, and have a good sense of how a gun should look when finished.

Happy New Year, and blessings on your endeavors.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
Jim, It's good to see your progress, things are looking good for certain!  I can only imagine the sacrifices you and Katherine have made to get to this point.  With your skills and business ethics and Katherine's intelligence (okay, yours too :P) I'm sure you will be quite successful in your endeavors!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
Jim and Katherine - You are doing a wonderful job!!! - A fantastic design, the execution and precision is unmatched, and I cannot wait to see what's around the corner - Best wishes for you and your family for 2017 -

Jon