Author Topic: Rusty new rifle barrel  (Read 3807 times)

Offline frogwalking

Rusty new rifle barrel
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
A few weeks ago, I pondered (in the shooting area) a new barrel that was very rough inside, and difficult to load.  It did not shoot very well either.  Now it seems it is rusty inside; how rusty I don't yet know.  I need to get it back from my youngest grand son to inspect.  Now the barrel was not rusty when I got it, and the lad had only shot it twice and cleaned between and after.  I am pretty sure I dribbled some browning solution down the barrel while finishing it.  I apparently did not  notice, and clean/oil it, with predictable results.  I plan to unbreech and inspect.  If it cannot easily be returned to fine condition, I want to send it off to be rebored and rerifled.  It is a .40 Rice southern classic.  Do you see a problem with making a minimum overbore of this rifle barrel?  Who is best suited to d the work, and what is his contact information.  I may be jumping the gun as I have not yet inspected the barrel, but I need the exercise.   Thanks,

Frog
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Rusty new rifle barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:49:23 AM »
I have had Bob Hoyt do rebores for me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:58 AM »
  Frog I have used evapor-rust that you can get at Harbour freight or auto stores. It worked amazing for me. Just placed the barrel in a tube capped one end an poured it in. Left it alone for two day's. It worked amazing. Also it doesn't smell an you can reuse it. Ky- flinter gets the credit. Just wished I would have taken a picture before an after. Both barrels looked like junk. Now there like New. Anyway a thought. Oldtravler

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
Rice will do it if it is safe.  I'd send it to them as the original mfg.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
Frog;

I would look into what you're using to clean with, and what you are lubricating with. I have seen more barrels wrecked using home grown cleaning solutions than you can imagine. Anything with hydrogen peroxide in it, has a lot of potential to ruine your barrel. Cleaning solutions with degreasing industrial, or household cleaners, are another good way to start a rust ranch.
 Shooting anything but real black powder in your guns is another good way the  wind up with a damaged barrel.
 Lubricants should have some degree of staying power. Spray products that have a thin body, and evaporating carrier, are likely to let you down some time after you have stopped worrying about rust. This usually makes for a nasty surprise when you are getting ready for that first spring shoot.
 I would suggest lead lapping the bore if it isn't terribly pitted.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to lap it.  Real lead lapping, real abrasives, put a little choke in it.  I have rescued some sad looking barrels by lapping the snot out of them. 

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:53 AM »
SCOTA; What kind of abrasive do you use, fine valve grinding abrasive?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 01:24:23 AM »
120 working down to 320.   Valve grinding compound.  IMHO finer abrasives will not make any real progress.

You must pull the plug and work from the breech.  Wear a glove to prevent blisters.   Make a rod guide the fits in to the plug threads. I typically use half a dozen slugs at the 120 level before I move on to 220 then 320.  Remember to polish the muzzle section finer before you go back to the coarse grits to relieve the main bore.  Use a tapered screw to swell the slug as you work.  320 will leave a nice looking bore.  Plenty smooth.  IF you want it to really gleam use Semichrome metal polish and steel wool.  Loading a rifle with a choke bore is super easy.  My accuracy results have been excellent. 

It it all goes bad you can still have it rebored. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
Long time ago - 1975/6? - choking a barrel worked brilliantly.  Following Ned Robert's descriptions, I choked a 38"twist .50 bl. Les Bauska made with .008" deep rifling.
After putting in the choke - I cut a piece off the end of the barrel and made a sizer out of it - with a nicely tapered cone. I then used a loading press to push lead slugs through this 'muzzle sizer' to pre-groove the bullets, then I had mechanically fitted bullets for the rifle.  A Flambeau ctc. tray with the tops cut out of the 1/2" square holes, held the bullets perfectly without damage.  These were almost groove diameter & slugged up to fill on firing.  I had aperture sights on that rifle (my own stock) & shot a number of 1" to 1 1/4". 5-shot groups with it at 100 yards, benched, at the Barnet Range, Burnaby B.C.  I used 80gr. 2fAmerican Deadshot, from a 10 pound can I got from old Cliff Hunter. The Deadshot black powder factory blew sky high in 1898.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:47:33 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
I did the same thing with a Numrich 45-70 blank, about 1990.  The cut off part was used to make a size die for a lyman luber sizer.   Mine did not shoot as well as yours though. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:36 AM »
I attribute the accuracy I got, to the "American" Deadshot powder.  It was the most accurate powder I had ever used. It was clean - absolutely no dust or undersized pieces - shiny black, angular with sharp ends of the granuals - lovely to look at.  It also shot quite cleanly, although looking for it, I could not see where it burned "moist" as Ned noted in his book concerning the English Powders.

The Swiss 1 1/2F that I have is close in appearance, but not quite as nice - finely shaped - sharp and so shiny - no dust.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:11:14 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V