Author Topic: Bottom Flat Barrel Channel Repair  (Read 3849 times)

Offline VP

Bottom Flat Barrel Channel Repair
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
The ramrod hold in my present build took a steep climb in the last four inches that resulted in having to open up the bottom flat of the barrel channel to deepen the ramrod hole to its proper depth. I am curious what is the best way to repair the bottom flat. Is there one way that is better than the other? What is the least noticeable? Do you hitch it into the side or just side glue it, what are my options? Thanks in advance for any help.

VP

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bottom Flat Barrel Channel Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:29:53 AM »
I have glued in popsicle sticks before.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:04:23 AM »
I would like to point out that I have seen a fine original with the ramrod hole invading the barrel channel for the last few inches.    There was no attempt made to fix it.    If you open up old guns,  the lock mortice and barrel channel often look like swiss cheese.   

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 04:21:38 AM »
What is the least noticeable?
Who's going to notice it?  It's under the barrel and hidden.  Several well known makers purposely do them this way.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
Been there, done that!  Leave it and thank your luck stars it didn't come out the side.

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »
If you don't fix it, you will just need to use one lock screw or a fake screw for the forward lock screw.
Bob

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
VP, here is a link to what I did to fix a similar problem: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25674.msg245722#msg245722 
Hope it helps.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Some vendors route the channel the whole way on precarves.  If you have clearance and feel the need to repair it, do like Mike and glue in a piece of popsicle stick.  They are about 3/8'" wide and fairly strong.  It might prevent spreading or splitting if it happens to get dropped on the forearm.
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 02:46:03 AM »
The ramrod hold in my present build took a steep climb in the last four inches that resulted in having to open up the bottom flat of the barrel channel to deepen the ramrod hole to its proper depth. I am curious what is the best way to repair the bottom flat. Is there one way that is better than the other? What is the least noticeable? Do you hitch it into the side or just side glue it, what are my options? Thanks in advance for any help.

VP

The bottom flat hole was just left open on my rifle - seemed to be a 'routed channel' on a pre-carved stock originally. doesn't seem to hurt anything.  Gluing a thin strip of maple in there would be the proper way.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline VP

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »
Curtis,

Thank you very much for the link to your repair  of the bottom flat of the barrel channel. I like your method, especially using the carbon paper. I realize it could have been left open but it wouldn't have worked for me. I had to put something back in it's place. I do have some wood left over from roughing out the stock from that area so i should be able to find a close match. I also didn't think of making the bottom of my repair with the ramrod hold grove in it. Some good ideas.

Van

vulture

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 04:31:29 AM »
Not having a lot of money back when I wanted to build my first rifles, and not wanting to spend big bucks on a fancy stock I might ruin in the process of learning I contacted Pecatonica River and asked about seconds.  They were very helpful and sent me a list of stocks that had flaws in them that they could let go for a very reasonable price.  Some of these had flaws in the wood itself that didn't show up until the shaping had been done, such as knots, etc., however two that I ordered were great looking with no flaws to the wood, but in drilling the ramrod hole the drill had done just what you are talking about and come up through the bottom flat of the barrel inlet.  They had repaired these by plugging the area where the drill had begun to wander and then re-drilling the hole. Even though the repair could not be seen once the rifle was finished and the barrel seated in the stock they could or would not sell these as firsts.  They had some of these in very high grades of wood, but as cost was a factor I went with the less expensive.  One was a number two grade maple with some pretty decent pattern to the wood and it turned out to be one of my favorite projects.  The link to the fellow members repair is an excellent way to go.  It probably would not hurt anything to leave the hole in that flat open, no one is ever going to see it except you, that is if this is to remain your rifle, but plugging it really isn't that difficult.  Hope you have it sorted out.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 04:32:12 AM »
I once did a ramrod channel using a liner of brass tubing.  Hobby shops sell telescoping thin wall brass tubing.  I hogged out the channel.  I then sealed the end of the tubing.  I glass bedded it into the channel.  I probably layered some glass cloth or kevlar cloth across the gap.  Not traditional but extremely functional and strong.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
VP, If you have more questions post them here and if I don't answer send me a PM, I will be happy to share my thoughts and / or experiences.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing