Author Topic: Lock stamped Cole 1960 #883  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Lock stamped Cole 1960 #883
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:32:54 AM »
Can anyone tell me if this lock is stamped for the lock maker or the rifle builder?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Howard

Re: Lock stamped Cole 1960 #883
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:14:48 AM »
I don't see the item but there was a man in Pittsburgh, Pa. that sold gun parts. His last name was Cole. Haven't seen his parts in years.  When I was in the service I met a Lt. whose grandfather dealt with him.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:10:10 AM »
Ted Cole, Pittsburgh  Didn't know he sold locks. Had some wonnerful hot browning solution, with mercury in it. Made me what I am today today today.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:09:27 AM »
Thank you I think I'm on the right track with Ted Kohl. I bet if I showed a picture of the lock to Bob roller he would know for sure
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Thank you I think I'm on the right track with Ted Kohl. I bet if I showed a picture of the lock to Bob roller he would know for sure

Theodore P. Cole,Wilkinsburg,Pa used to set up at Friendship. He stayed drunk so he wouldn't have to get drunk.
He assembled locks from castings on sheet steel plates. Mediocre to say the best about them.He died in 1962 after
a stroke.
I never saw anyone buy a lock from him but Dr.Gary White said he bought a left and right hand flintlock from him
because Cole was the only one who had anything left handed available.
There is more I could say about Cole but will leave it alone.

Bob Roller

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
Thanks Bob. That may explain why the lock fires at half cock.