Author Topic: inletting black?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline yip

inletting black?
« on: January 05, 2017, 03:05:15 AM »
  whats the prefect  inletting black? i want something that ain't as messy as mine of oil solvable red and vasoline. this works good but messy, and looks like you just killed the neighors cat

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: inletting black?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 03:09:35 AM »
 I like either red lipstick or soot from an oil lamp
Kevin

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 03:25:07 AM »
 I used Jarrows with a fairly stiff art brush. Dip the tip in and work it into the brush. paper towel the excess of .
Can almost do a whole gun with it without adding anymore black. You do not need black goo all over everything. 
Just enough to make the parts kind of grey     Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:26:39 AM »
Commercial Jarrows inletting black. Use it sparingly. One tiny container lasts me about 100 guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »
Soot from an oil lamp.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 03:59:09 AM »
I believe this is a personal choice sort of thing, some like this, others like that. I use an oil lamp to blacken parts for inletting and like it just fine.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:07 AM »
I have used most of the stuff mentioned and prefer Prussian Blue from NAPA to anything else.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Angus

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 05:15:45 AM »
Candles will produce sufficient soot. Of course some will express legitimate concern of an open flame within the work area.

westbj2

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:38 PM »
    I have used most of the stuff mentioned and prefer Prussian Blue from NAPA to anything else. 

Yes me too!!!!!  A little goes a long way.
Jim

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
I use the little cheap lighters that come 5 to a pack. Make sure they have adjustable flame . Just run the flame up high it soots well. I used to use an oil lamp but I had to light it any way. The lighter is a little less trouble to me and cheap enough. Everybody finds something they like best .             Thanks Nathan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
Jarrow's for me , because I don't feel the need to turn inletting black into yet another project. It's not a sin to take the easy way out once in a while. And unless you are a surgeon inletting black is going to get everywhere, accept it, and move on.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
I mostly use Prussian Blue artists' oil paint.  It is messy.  That is why it works.  Wear nitrile gloves if it bothers you.  I have some real in-letting black.  I don't like it as well.  For smoke, I use a MAPP gas torch with the air inlets taped over.  It makes a much denser smoke than anything else I have tried.  I have tried candles, kerosene lamps, and lots of others. 

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
Candle or oil lamp soot.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
I use Jarrows now, it will last forever, like others have said, use a tiny amount. I used to take a small glass jar, like the kind that model or craft paint comes in and punch a hole in the lid. Then took a small cotton rag and made a wick and filled the jar with mineral spirits. It will smoke like crazy, easy and quicker to light, much quicker than a candle. In a pinch I have used lipstick. I read recently here where someone uses a dry erase marker, I am anxious to try that, it sounds great, especially for small parts.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
I'm a red lipstick guy...........man that sounds wrong!
Greg

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
Greg. maybe you are just making a bold fashion statement with your guns. I never use red lipstick after Labor Day. Gunbuilders have to keep up appearances you know!
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »
I use black permanent marker.    I buy those big Magnum markers.  It transfers under pressure, but doesn't get all over everything.    You can clean it off metal with denatured alcohol.     I will also use a candle for situations where you can't apply a lot of pressure like inletting thimbles or locks.   The permanent marker works great for barrels.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 12:23:57 AM »
I like the idea of a magnum markers. I'll get a lot less stares picking up a marker than I will shopping for cheap lipstick. Thanks for the idea Mark.
Greg

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
I like the idea of a magnum markers. I'll get a lot less stares picking up a marker than I will shopping for cheap lipstick. Thanks for the idea Mark.
Greg

WTH?  I buy lipstick and bright or black or touch-up colored nail polish because they can be handy in/around the shop.  Blaze orange nail polish is MUCH more durable than most spray bomb paints. 

But be careful as the last black I got had this little bitty fine "liner" brush.  Gotta get another one with the normal sized brush.

Buy the stuff when you're out-of-town at a Rifle Show if your really feel the need anonymity.  That's when I get my lotto tickets-such that if I did hit a "big one", I can remain anonymous* until I choose to let others in on it (if ever).  ;)

*Yes, if you play it right you don't have to reveal your identity.  No, it's not how they want you to do it, but I know the "end around". Cheers!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »
For me I use candle primarily but oil lamp occasionally. I never did get used to Jarrows.
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
From Mark,

"I use black permanent marker.    I buy those big Magnum markers.  It transfers under pressure, but doesn't get all over everything.    You can clean it off metal with denatured alcohol."

God I hate black.  When I make shoes I can't keep that color off my hands.  The first jar of the black I bought at Dixons was a mess also.  I don't know why Mark is right, and I'll bet it works better with a kit than  a from scratch gun, but a nice, thick marker seems to work more cleanly.  They come in red , too,  if your lipstick instinct is part of your shop.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

oldiemkr

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
All of these are good options. The key for most is use sparingly. I like listo pencils. We also called them grease pencils. They didn't get all over  everything and they were not "greasy" at all.

Smoketown

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
All of these are good options. The key for most is use sparingly. I like listo pencils. We also called them grease pencils. They didn't get all over  everything and they were not "greasy" at all.

Talk about a blast from the past!!  ;D

And they were available in red too!

A quick Google Search says they're still readily available.   8)

Cheers,
Smoketown