Author Topic: INFO NEEDED ON FLINT DOUBLE BBLS  (Read 6291 times)

rdillon

INFO NEEDED ON FLINT DOUBLE BBLS
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
I was at the Williamsburg Show this weekend and saw Ed Rayl had a nice set of .20ga doubles for sale and he says they are readly available.  Anyone use them or other suguestions?  I would like to build one of these.  I know my way around a gun and have built quite a few, but this double flint idea has got me stumped!!!!  Where might one get a stock for those buggers? 

Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: INFO NEEDED ON FLINT DOUBLE BBLS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »
Make it.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
i have some walnut,,thats 3 inches thick
would work well for a double
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
buy bill brockway's book 'recreating the double barrel shotgun'.  read the book, then, do as jerry instructs.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:21 PM »
Yes, Make it yourself. Get Bill Brockway's bible on Recreating these beasts first. I believe his book comes with a blueprint.
It is not for the faint of heart! Twice as much work as a longrifle, obviously.
Tom C.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »
You need a plank of good figured walnut  27inches long 9 inches deep and 3 inches thick, place your template so the grain is running through the full length of the stock and not running out at the wrist.You can now take it from here has you have built a gun before .
Feltwad

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:12:05 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
Rich,
You should have talked with Al Edge at the show. Al has made several using Ed's barrels. There are a few photos on his website that show some of the stages of building a 12 GA flintlock. http://www.aledge.com/workshop.html
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

rdillon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
Thank-you very much!!!!  I will get the book and also contact Al.  I was planing to scratch make the stock just thought there maybe some other ideas out there.  Do you recomend inletting my own barrel channel?  Is that something that someone can do for me?  Thanks. ;D

rdillon

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »
I just ordered Bill's book on Amazon.  I found a Hard Cover First Edition to add to my collection.  Many Thanks!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:49:39 AM »
Where does one find good matching right & left flint locks (save for Siler @Chambers)?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 05:27:11 AM »
Where does one find good matching right & left flint locks (save for Siler @Chambers)?

I would order some castings from TRS or from Blackley's in England.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:17:30 AM »
I don't think it is as hard as a longrifle. No patchbox, no side plate, no carving,no swamped barrel. English walnut is esier to work than maple.  Finding the propper barrels is the hard part. Modern ribs don't look the same as the nice concave ones did.   Barrels are normally 32" long. Breaching the barrels is the only hard part. One needs a lathe and some knowledge for that.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
I have built some, I find them to be a pain in the ass.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/Borders%20double%20gun/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/Moore%20double/
I used "L&R Durrs Egg on the first one, which are too big, and L&R Manton locks on the second. I always use antique percussion barrels. I can't see going through that much work and not having damascus barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Dave K

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
I just picked up an original 20ga. SXS flinter on Tues. Barrel length can be all over the chart, depending on when made, where made and ga. This 20ga. has 28" barrels. I have another original in 18ga., that has 32" barrels. The 20ga. original that I sold to my Dad has 34" barrels. I did have a 16ga. built from Ithaca Flues barrels. They are Damascus and after Nock style breeching are 28". Yes, the ribs didn't look right and with careful setup, a ball endmill made them concave and proper looking. I did use L&R Manton locks. Because of that experience with L&R locks, again, I would do all I could to reconfigure the Siler/Chamber locks to make the gun. May not be that close to 100% correct, but it may solve the issues I have had with these locks. I had seen where I think it is Fort Hill, is making a precarve SxS stock. I have no idea how it is set up, but it is for a perc. gun, but possibly easily adapted to a flint gun.

rdillon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
I am going to go with Mike's suggestion and go with a pair of Mantons.  Are Ed Rayl barrels ok or should I find a beatup orginal and used those barrels?  Should this be made with steel hardware?  As I said before I don't know enough about this guns thats why I am looking for info. Thanks

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
I have some pretty good Damascus barrels for sale. 12 Ga. Cartridge type.

Dave K

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 12:58:48 AM »
I talked to Chuck Lindsey in the past month. He has some 20ga. barrels available and they can be had with an etched Damascus pattern. He also has all the other furniture you would need, standing breech, triggers and guard, butt plate, R R entry, etc. You though supply the locks. I can email you the new brochure he emailed me.

rdillon

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
PM Sent.