Author Topic: My parts kit arrived today!  (Read 12439 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: My parts kit arrived today!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
So let's say I inlet the lock first and it does not rest against tight against the barrel....?
I don't think you need to worry about that at all. You have full control on how deep the lock will be inlet. Just keep going until the bolster is flat/tight against the barrel.

You probably will have a little leeway (front to back) with the lock since very few lock mortises are cut full size in a pre-carve (just remember any movement needs to be planned before you start inletting the plate). I would first get the barrel fully inletted but don't drill the cross pins just get it in so you can see exactly where your breechplug face is located in relation to the lock pan. Then place the lock plate over the mortise and see if the middle of the pan aligns properly with the breech plug face. Remember to allow for vent liner/threads if you are going to use one (I highly recommend you do). If for some reason your pan doesn't properly align with the barrel you can now decide if you can shift the lock forward/back enough to get the vent in the right spot, or you can fudge the barrel back to help with alignment. Its not a hard job so don't let it intimidate you. After you resolve the flash hole alignment you can then inlet the barrel tang and install the barrel lugs/cross pins.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:03:15 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
I see you have the DVD by Ron Ehlert on building from a kit.  Give it a viewing .  It will guide you through the process .

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
A few simple measurements should put your mind at ease. Put a light pencil mark where you think the end of the barrel will be after its inlet, set the lock in the mortise and measure from the center of the pan to the line you marked on the stock. This is the distance from the end of the barrel to the touch hole the way things are now. You can transfer this to the barrel and see how close you are from where you want to be.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 01:05:43 AM »
These questions you are asking should be directed to Mr. Chambers to get the correct answer - it's his kit and he KNOWS how to put it together. Like he posted to you here -- give HIM a call and you will get the CORRECT answer -- I will say no more on this subject :-X!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
These questions you are asking should be directed to Mr. Chambers to get the correct answer - it's his kit and he KNOWS how to put it together. Like he posted to you here -- give HIM a call and you will get the CORRECT answer -- I will say no more on this subject :-X!

Well, first of all I don't believe I thanked your all for you comments and advice. It is so greatly appreciated!

Secondly, I contacted Barbie Chambers-Phillips and she suggested that I inlet the barrel first.
She stated that with their kits it should be very close and not a problem to install it that way.

My intentions are not to start a lengthy debate, but this is my first ever build and I will listen and ponder any opinions from those more experienced than I.
I have learned a lot from this site already and I want/need to learn a lot more, and you all are my experts that I am turning to.
I am a teacher and Football Coach by trade, and I try to instill in our students and players that there is no end to learning and we never know it all.
After 31 years I can tell you, with the upmost certainty, that there are more ways than one to skin a cat!
With that said, PLEASE, post away, give your opinions and share your experiences!
Thank you again!

Doug

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
Doug,

Welcome aboard... You will enjoy Jim's kit very much - I have a few questions for you. Do you have an actual rifle you want to copy? As you start to inlet your barrel and align your lock, it would pay off not only to do a little reading in "Technically" how it is done, but have many pictures of the style or an actual rifle you want to try to copy. For me, My Chambers Rifle is my first Chambers kit, and I made the choice to copy one of Jim's finished rifles. O.K. - I reached way too far, but that's just me.

Having many pictures of one particular rifle will help you on the distances, angles, depths and styles you can adjust in your kit, and it helps to "Match" your progress to the final example. Jim and Barbie will help all they can, and a few of the forum members have also built his kits.

Here is a "Progress" shot of my Chambers Rifle:

I shaped the end of the Barrel tang First, before inletting, as that drove the shape of the wood inlet area of the Tang.

Forget the carving pencil marks for now, but you can see the depth of the barrel, the Tang and the inset area and the curve I had to put into the tang to fit the curve of the stock.

So... There are some key areas that have to line up. (All the books you have will say this, and I'm no expert at all) yet the lock should align with the barrel so when you insert the touch hole liner in the barrel, it's at the top center of the pan, centered on the barrel and about 1/4 of an inch in front of the end of the Breech Plug. That's why I started with the barrel and adjusted where the tang is, using the lock as a guide. Those two pieces are kind of "Tuned" to each other, and when they are aligned, you can adjust the other pieces around that fit. I did move the barrel back a little (1/16 of an inch, and with the pre carved stock, there is a little wiggle room for setting in your lock for alignment. As others have mentioned, Take a dowel or the ram rod stock and insert it into the barrel and measure 1/4 inch in front of the face of the Breech Plug, use a sharpie and mark that location on the outside of the barrel on the Lock side. Right in the middle of the "Flat" of the barrel. That will be your target for the top middle of the lock pan -

So Get some pictures, get your hands on a few actual rifles, find your "Goal" project and get as much info from it, and ASK the questions, especially if you can connect with the builder of the rifle, I have found that builders are very willing to help.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:34:16 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
This is a different rifle, but if you can get that "touch hole" mark right at the top of the pan when the barrel is fully seated, you are well on your way to align the other parts:

and this is the barrel with the liner installed (you will use the mark until you are almost done), then the liner can be installed later.  See the curved Tang?  - Shape your tang BEFORE you mark and inlet it - if you inlet a straight tang, it will not fit after your curve it. Take your time, measure and use a pencil a lot (I go through erasers more than pencils).

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:23:46 PM by Kingsburyarms »

ltdann

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
Kingsbury,

I notice in photo #5 that the wood adjacent to the tang (left side) aligns perfectly to the barrel flats and then sweeps nicely forward of the breech along the side flats.

1) did you use a scraper to get that nice flat area along the tang?

2) it's hard to tell from the picture, put does that flat angle extend to the side plate edge?

Dan

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
It is shaped down to the angle of the barrel flat: Scraper, sand paper and some Chisel work.

Based on this Historic Photo:

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Here is what it looks like with the carving complete....

You can see in the last image, I have not "Draw filed" the flat of the barrel to meet the corner of the tang (Curved here as I did file the top of the tang to make it a smooth curve) But I hope it answered your question.

Jon

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 12:44:18 AM »
Jon,

Thank you for your input.
I do not have a specific rifle I am copying.
I am also wishing that I had held an actual rifle before building mine, but that was not the case.
My kit is an Isaac Haines style so I would like to stay true to that style.

I have been following your build and I am truely impressed with your skill. I hope that my build comes out half that well. You truely are an inspiration, and I thank you again for your input. Your post of your build has given plenty of insight into what is needed and the advice you received was tremendous. So many tidbits of knowledge.

Since I have received the full kit I have been looking at the stock learning the curves and inlets. I am waiting on a breech plug wrench and octagonal vice jaws so that I can remove the breech plug safely without damaging it or the barrel.
In the mean time I am studying what I have for parts and will probably begin to clean up some of them as well.

I think you said "I am flying by instruments right now" and I can truely say that I understand what you mean.
Thank you for your help and I look forward to more of your experience and advise.

ltdann

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
 octagonal vice jaws?

Really, there is such a thing?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 05:39:09 AM »
octagonal vice jaws?

Really, there is such a thing?

Yep, see them here..... http://www.ricebarrels.com/vice%20jaws-2.jpg

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 06:27:52 AM »
Is this a Izaak Haines kit?
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
Is this a Izaak Haines kit?

Yes it is an Isaac Haines kit.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 02:20:36 AM »
Drilling for the touch hole should only be done after the barrel  and lock are fully seated to your satisfaction.  I believe this was inferred previously with pencil and markers to get to approx. location.  good luck with your build.  It looks like a "shooter" to me.

Smoketown

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
Drilling for the touch hole should only be done after the barrel  and lock are fully seated to your satisfaction.  I believe this was inferred previously with pencil and markers to get to approx. location.  good luck with your build.  It looks like a "shooter" to me.

I like where someone in another thread said to use a center/prick punch mark.
(It won't wipe off or, "mysteriously move" on you.   ;D  )

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline retired fella

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
Smoketown,

Gremlins, they will do it to you every time!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Smoketown

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »
Smoketown,

Gremlins, they will do it to you every time!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Those happened to be our mascots at Airport Junior High School ...   8)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
I feel that I must let everyone know that the rifle in the pictures above is not mine. :o
There have been a few replies in which I think people were confused. :-\
Kingsburyarms so very graciously posted those to show some things and teach us about the architecture of his rifle.
As much as i would like to, I can not take credit for that work!
Thank you Kingsburyarms for posting those.
I do plan on posting pictures of my work, but the until then I can only hope my rifle turns out half as nice as his ;D