Author Topic: Chambers' barrels for kits  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Chambers' barrels for kits
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
So, I have been thinking about building a short, large bore rifle for close range hunting of big critters in Montana. I like the looks of Chamber's English Sporting rifle kit. It looks like exactly what I want to build.
That was until I see the barrel prices on the kits.  The 31" rifle barrel is $300 on top of the $635 for the kit. The English fowler barrel is $415!  $415 for a fowler barrel and $175 for a pistol barrel? Why are they so much compared to all the other barrels around?

Offline FALout

Re: Chambers' barrels for kits
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Chambers uses Rice barrels for their kits, one of the best.  I'd take a guess that those are special barrel profiles that no one else is currently making and there isn't a large demand for them, so set time gets to be more expensive.  Jims kits are well thought out and parts are of high quality.  If you don't want to pay the price, start with a blank, find a barrel that suits your needs, collect the parts you want, and start building.  When you want to build a certain style of rifle, there can be criteria that should be followed, barrel profiles can be limited such as the case of an English rifle. 
Bob

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
If you don't want to pay the $935 for the kit. then scrounge around and buy the parts piecemeal. Start w/ a blank which is somewhat cheaper than a precarve, there are bbls for sale which probably aren't what you want, but they'll do.  Waiting for a lock and other parts to come on the market could take awhile, but you might save a few bucks doing so.

Or....you could buy the kit, save yourself a lot of grief and you'd have exactly what you want. Sounds like the way to go......Fred

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Just as a comment, and for general info...I have the Officer's fusil from Chamber's and as I have mentioned before, it is without a doubt the fastest and best handling smoothbore I own. It's my upland game gun. The workhorse is their N.E. fowling gun in 10 bore.
It is wonderful too, but a bit slower than the well educated partridge here  :)  The English fusil has a barrel which is 1 1/4 in at the breach. Not something you see everyday, and what I would consider to be a "custom" profile.  It's worth the $

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
I've been tossing ideas around....One thing that stuck with me is barrel tennons and front sight dovetail is cut. 

Might not mean much if you're a professional builder. But having never done either, I would venture to guess that's a fair bit of time...And if done wrong can ruin a barrel...

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
Barrel length has little to do with price.  Rifling, profiling, and fitting the breech plug are all about the same.  Other than the cost of the raw material, the labor is roughly the same.  Throw in a custom profile(that breaks into the production schedule), and the price goes up.  Plus $10-20 per dovetail can be added to the price for convenience.

Brice Stultz

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
I own the Chambers English Short Rifle and I really like it. Nice handling gun. Barrel is fine. K
Galations 2:20

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
Chambers kits and Rice barrels are the best.  You get what you pay for!

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
I've been tossing ideas around....One thing that stuck with me is barrel tennons and front sight dovetail is cut. 

Might not mean much if you're a professional builder. But having never done either, I would venture to guess that's a fair bit of time...And if done wrong can ruin a barrel...
I sure am not a professional by any means however by the time you get 3-4 underlugs on you will be ready for the sights. Get a copy of the Gunsmith of Williamsburg and watch it, hack saw and files and  elbow grease and sweat.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
When you step up to a Chambers Kit you are paying that extra bit for an exceptional product as well as service. I have multiple barrels from their supplier and they are top drawer. little to no draw-filing necessary on these. The architecture is right on as well. Most barrel makers don't have large enough breaches on the English fowler barrels 1 3/16" is rare. It makes the piece look right when the barrel has the correct profile. I have never heard any one complain about having chosen to go with a chambers kit.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
I may just go with a blank. I was looking at the Colerain Jeager barrels, and they have a very similar profile, and they are $215. Colerain barrels have always been accurate for me.   That barrel, one of the Chambers round faced locks, and some fowler furniture should be what I need. Do you have any pictures of your rifle Ken? I would love to see how yours looks.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:52 AM »
Justin,

Here is a link to a .58 caliber English rifle I built from a Chambers kit. 

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34719.msg354356#msg354356

By the way, having built two guns from a kit and having built several more from a plank and gathered parts, I can tell you the little extra money is well worth it if your goal is to get a rifle built and not spend a lot of time gathering disparate parts....and you can't go wrong with anything you buy from Jim and Barbie at Chambers.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:42:55 AM »
So, I have been thinking about building a short, large bore rifle for close range hunting of big critters in Montana. I like the looks of Chamber's English Sporting rifle kit. It looks like exactly what I want to build.
That was until I see the barrel prices on the kits.  The 31" rifle barrel is $300 on top of the $635 for the kit. The English fowler barrel is $415!  $415 for a fowler barrel and $175 for a pistol barrel? Why are they so much compared to all the other barrels around?

I can tell you right here, that Taylor has NOT built a rifle for many years, for which the parts did not cost MORE than $1,000.00.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
Daryl,
 you are sooooo right.  Everyone thinks they should be able to buy a custom gun for $800, nevermind that parts are $1000 plus, and 150 to 250 hours of labor.
Justin,
If you want proper architecture in a KIT,...... Chambers's is they ONLY game in town.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 04:19:21 AM »
Daryl, maybe when I get as good as Taylor I will spend that much on parts.  For now I am working my way up to there on $500-$700 parts.  Thanks for the link to your rifle Dave.  I really like that peep sight. I may have to play around with that idea. I am building this one for bear, moose and elk.  A quick sight picture would be nice, especially when a bear is looking for an easy meal.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
"Daryl, maybe when I get as good as Taylor I will spend that much on parts.  For now I am working my way up to there on $500-$700 parts."

Justin, given the mistakes you are about to learn from, the extra cost and frustration will bring you well past the Chambers cost. 

You won't have the passion for your new gun if you skimp and it turns out to be less than you envision. 

A tough choice, granted, but take note of the fact that there are not a lot of folks criticizing Chambers Kits or admin.

Um Juss Sayn

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid,

The Capgun Kid

n stephenson

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
I think the actual answer to the question asked is capitalism. I have used Jim`s products for years they are top quality we all know this . Jim does not produce Rice barrels he sells them. I wouldn't buy the barrels and handle them for free and I wouldn't expect Jim to either. If you go to the parts store and buy an alternator for 100 bucks your local mechanic will "get" you the same alternator for 125 bucks. I fully support capitalism it`s the lifeblood of our economy. It`s not the duty of the capitalist to figure out your budget but basically to entice you to spend with them through quality , price , ect. It`s the consumer`s duty to decide who they want to spend their money with. It`s your money you earned it you spend it like you want.   Thanks Nathan

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »
I sure wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks on a gun I expected to keep me from becoming
bear meat!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the Chamber's kit as you receive it?  What work is already done on it? Lock inlet, tang inlet, trigger, buttplate?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »
  Both Chambers an Kiblers are at the top of the heap right now. As for the easiest to put together Jim Kiblers gets the nod. But if you want a bear caliber. Then diffianatly Jim Chamber's. IMHO oldtravler

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:13 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the Chamber's kit as you receive it?  What work is already done on it? Lock inlet, tang inlet, trigger, buttplate?

See this thread  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=42549.0

Lock inlet, tang inlet, trigger, buttplate?  The inlets are nearly done, but final fitting is required.

-Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 12:28:16 AM »
I'm still working on my first build so I can give a "newbie" prospective.When I decided to get into this,you get an idea on a rifle type,school ect.You narrow it down to ability,unless your pretty darn good with them chisles,carving, wire work ect. you may want to save all that for the future builds.Same goes with certain styles that lend themselves to be difficult to emulate by folks new to the process.After you figure it out and know your limitations and picked something,next comes the money choices.Flat out as others have said save the extra bucks to get something good,you get what ya pay for!Your only going to build one first,might as well make special.While spending quality money on a quality kit you also will save yourself some headaches and headscratching during the build because something's are going to go together better,you will see where the extra money went!I spent a gee whiz on a parts kit and still wasn't happy with some of them and swapped them out costing more but I knew I wasn't going to be happy with the old ones.Quess the bottom line is jump into the deep end,plenty of life guards here to pull you out if you get in over your head,just ask before you go out to far or get in to deep.Enjoy it,take your time and remember you only have one first.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:48 AM »

Go to Jim's site http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles.htm and scroll down the page.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »
Justin,
I am currently working on one of Jim's Issac Haines rifles with the 38" barrel and in .54 caliber. That should fit your bill! As for your guidance in building, purchase one of Jim Turpin's DVDs from Jim as it covers the build of a Chambers rifle with a lot of detail and great tips. Good luck and you can not go wrong with either Jim Chambers or Jim Kibler. I got one of his for Christmas but have not been able to get it started as yet. I know it will be great and really the biggest difference, as now, is that Jim Kibler's largest caliber offering right now is .45. Good luck and share with us your choice. Also, my advice is before you start with a blank is to take a class so where to learn architecture!

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:24:09 AM »
What I have to say here don't mean much but unless ya just have to build you a rifle yourself and you have the tools and time to do it there are a lot of folks that put good rifles, shotguns, and pistols for sale here.  You are looking to have to spend close to $1000 for parts.  For another $1000 I've seen some nice guns sold here.  Think of it like when you got your first car and you wanted to take it out and show everyone how bad your car was.  You could either build that car yourself or stop by a local dealer and buy it already fixed up.   Here you have folks ready to help you if you intend to build that first rifle, shotgun, or pistol.  Just remember once you buy those parts you are commited and I hope you are good with your hands.
Jesse
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM