Author Topic: L&R Classic ??  (Read 4538 times)

Ionian

L&R Classic ??
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
Do you guys know if these locks are ready to use when bought or do the internals and frizzen need to be hardened?

Thanks!

Offline wmrike

Re: L&R Classic ??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
I bought mine three or four years ago from the late, lamented Golden Age Arms and all it needed was flint.  I don't know who finished their locks. 

northmn

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
I have used more than one L&R lock.  They could be put on a rifle as is.  One I had needed a little tuning as the springs were so strong they shattered flints within a couple of shots.  That was an early one.  One like it I have now is much better.  They can usually use a little fine tuning.  My Durs Egg needed a little pan fitting due to the casting, but nothing major and could have been used without.  If using a single trigger any lock may need a little sear, tumbler polishing.  Some bad mouth them, but if you are an adequate builder that knows the basics of tuning a lock, they work fine.  For an early period lock I do prefer the Siler or Chamber's spinoffs in English styling.  I use the L&R for the later period English styled locks with rollers and "rain proof" pans.  The internals are plenty hard.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
I am going out on a limb and say that all assembled locks have all parts hardened. However, you will find a world of difference in the fit-up and function from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Chambers is the best, hands down, in terms of consistent lock to lock fit and function. Occasional minor fitting and polishing.

Davis is good, L&R is good. They will need minor polishing, a little more than Chambers, and an occasional adjustment of internals geometry for smooth functioning. Sometimes a frizzen needs to be re-hardened, or the toe of the frizzen reshaped, etc. Minor stuff, and by the way, things that are good to learn how to do for yourself.

The only time you need to harden things usually, is when you get a lock kit.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Ionian

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
  Thank you for the responses. So far I have tuned the lock and it has been polished to 600 grit paper. I still need to polish the plate and frizzen and I will post some pictures. The parts look like a mirror so far and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything to mess up the finish. Wish me luck, it will be going on my first rifle.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:54:56 PM by Ionian »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Ionian, if you really like polishing locks, I will be happy to send you mine. Post them pictures!

Ionian Sea? Greek? Why do you pick that name?

http://tcurran.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/jason-and-the-argonauts/dsc_8817/
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Ionian

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »
Born and raised on the island of Ithaki Tom, kingdom of Odysseus.

I do enjoy polishing this lock, glutton for punishment I guess.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »
Durs Egg -  Springs - :o ::)

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
I put an L&R Dickert lock on my .45 longrifle - untuned. Ignition-wise, it's as fast or faster than a Chamber's modified Siler. Maybe I was just lucky. I bought the lock from Track.  I drilled the vent to .068".  The little L&R John Bailes lock (untuned) on my pistol gives wonderful ignition with a sharp flint - rivalling the rifle's much larger lock speed.  I've no complaints with L&R locks.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »
If you really want to speed up a lock, case harden the whole thing.  You can polish all you want to help gain speed but I can tell you that I case hardened my first lock several years ago and I will never build another gun for myself without case hardening the lock.  The speed difference was like night and day. 
DMR

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Ionian....here's a simple little thing to do when you are polishing up those interior parts, and it's easy to do.   I find a small dowel, wrap 600 grit paper around until it fits the tumbler hole in the lock plate.   Insert it in the hole then spin the
lock plate, it does a great job of polishing that hole.   I also put some fine grease on the tumbler when I assemble the lock, seems to work great.........Don

George F.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
I do believe that case hardening provides a real improvement to locks function , wear, and corrosion. Unfortunately not all of us builders have the equipment or available space to do this. I myself live in an apartment. I'm lucky my managers have not asked me to move out. I understand the process pretty much, especially about blocking the lock plate against warpedge. I think this should be covered on it's own thread though. ...Geo.