Author Topic: To Clean...Or Not To Clean?  (Read 2694 times)

Online 120RIR

To Clean...Or Not To Clean?
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
While it's pretty clear to me that heavy cleaning and refinishing of an original Kentucky (unless the piece is a real train wreck and subject to major restoration) can dramatically reduce the value, how much "cleaning" is acceptable?  I'm not talking about taking sandpaper to the metal and wood but, for example, gently clearing away built-up dry oil or obvious encrusted dirt on the brass or on the wood obscuring an original finish. As I see it, dirt is one thing but the patina of centuries of wear is of course quite another.  Any thoughts?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: To Clean...Or Not To Clean?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:59:38 PM »
unless you know exactly how and what to do its better left to a experienced professional. Many a antique has been ruined by good intentions

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
unless you know exactly how and what to do its better left to a experienced professional. Many a antique has been ruined by good intentions

Full agreement.  We've hashed this one before once or twice as well.  Get professional eyes on advice.
Hold to the Wind

wet willy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
I would contact your state's historical society and ask for their recommendations or sources for cleaning. You are correct that many forms of cleaning will destroy the historic value of the piece.

Some start with warm water and a cloth. To preserve the historic value the cleaning process should be reversible, that is you can undo it if necessary. Sandpaper cleaning is not reversible.

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
DON'T CLEAN - AN ANTIQUE IS "ORIGINAL" ONLY ONCE. >:(