Author Topic: barrel lugs location on a new england fowler?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Goo

Re: barrel lugs location on a new england fowler?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
Consider this? A high pressure chemical reaction releasing energy within in an expanding confined space over an increasing velocity time line.  It seems to me if harmonics have cause and effect in a heavy wall rifled barrel  how much more so a thin wall smooth bore barrel.    All that having been said all we really need to do is get a reasonable shot pattern at 30 yards and hit within a 6" circle at 30 - 50 yards with a round ball.   Probably more of a concern to keep the fore stock as thin as possible so it won't tweak the barrel if it warps.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
Yip...., what Jim Chambers said.  Try as best you can to get them evenly spaced, but don’t fret if they aren’t exactly even.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Turtle

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 01:18:45 AM »
I did some benchrest shooting and reloading. harmonics were effected by- barrel heat treat, barrel thickness,barrel contour, barrel length, barrel bedding pressure point, free floated barrel, where the gun was rested or griped,  the hardness of what it was rested on, bullet weight, powder charge, powder burning speed-----and each factor affected the other --a huge number   more variables. Too many factors for most the figure out. I refuse to worry about in when building a muzzleloader-i want to have fun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 02:14:21 AM »
I refuse to worry about in when building a muzzleloader-i want to have fun.
I don't worry about nothin', I just report how I do things. Everybody should do exactly as they like.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
 i apreciate all reponses this is the place to go for info, thanks guys!!!!!!!