Author Topic: Kits  (Read 2846 times)

long carabine

Kits
« on: April 10, 2009, 05:49:26 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of petconica River's stocks. I am looking at the Virginia or NC kits and I would like some feed back on them. Good kits or bad kits, hardware good or bad and the ease of assembly. I knoe Chambers are the best but the $$$$$ are stopping me and so is the ecomonmy and kids college tuition. Tim

Offline Gene Carrell

Re: Kits
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »
I have used a couple of their kits and have had no particular problem with them. They leave plenty of wood to be removed for 'customizing'. Look at their parts list to insure that you are OK with what they package. They have been very responsive to questions and problems.
Gene

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:50:36 PM »
I used one of their Tennessee kits for my first build but had them leave the hardware un-inlet so I could use a different type. They were easy to work with and the project went together well - I felt it was a good value and that I got great service.

That being said, some of their patterns are better than others with regard to looking like what they are supposed to represent.  Do you have a certain Virginia or North Carolina rifle that you are tyring to build?  If so there are some other options that are good too. Or, like I said, Pecatonica will let you leave certain parts un-inlet if you want to use different hardware or locks, etc.

For other options, Chambers kits are excellent for early style guns.  If you want a later Virginia or North Carolina pattern, Tip Curtis and Muzzleloader Builders Supply have some nice stock patterns.

Guy

long carabine

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
 I want to build either a NC rifle based on the Patriot Rifle or a Virginia rifle based off of the House Brothers, havm't made up my mind yet but i know i do not want a cal bigger then 54. Tim

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »
Tim - you might want to also take a look at Curt Lyles' kits (Curt's Blacksmith Shop) - he makes a nice early style iron mounted rifle kit with sleek lines, that uses the Chambers early Viriginia/English lock.  I've seen some very nice rifles made from these.  Tip Curtis, MBS, and TVM all have stock patterns that would work.  If you are willing to do more work, Knob Creek has some very nice early pattern stocks that you can get inlet for the barrel, but you will have to inlet the lock and everything else.  But you will save some money and have more leeway if you do this.

You could "kit bash" - start with a basic stock with the barrel and lock inlet from one of the suppliers but mix up the hardware to emulate the style you want.  And that way, you won't have a standard kit gun  - it will be more unique. 

The architecture on the early style House guns is similar to some of the early Lancaster and other stock kit patterns out there, straight combm, but has just a slight curve to the toe line, which you can add. And if you inlet your own buttplate you can adjust the pitch of the butt and comb angle a bit to your liking. 

So if it were me, I would find a pattern that offers the general architecture with enough wood to shape to your liking, and barrel and maybe the lock you like already inlet, and build around that.  Most precarve stocks have enough wood to allow some shaping, and most companies will let you leave off the guard, buttplate etc so you can use ones of your liking. 

If you do not need hand forged hardware, MBS sells a set of steel castings very similar to the guard and buttplate on the House Brothers rifle that is being raffled off, and you can make your own sideplate easily.  Also - Mark Tornichio has some photos of some really nice wide early style forged buttplates he might  be selling soon in the "Items for Sale" section - one of these would be perfect for a gun of that style and those wide early plates are not difficult to fit.

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:09:03 PM by Guy Montfort »