Author Topic: Getting started....where to start?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Getting started....where to start?
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »
So, I've been wanting to dive into gun building. Been reading Dixon's book, been scrolling through Mike Brooks' awesome tutorial....and I think I understand things conceptually as well as I can without actually doing this thing called gunbuilding.

So, I want to get started. Now, make no mistake, I'm not planning to start removing wood from a blank today. But if I don't start, I'm not gonna.

So....to my line of thinking, my first order of business here is a workspace. So happens I have a very nice sized shed that's double-walled (plywood exterior sheeting with plywood sheeting the studs inside as well, which actually keeps it fairy nice inside.

I have a long built in workbench under rows of fluorescent lighting, and multiple bench vices I can arrange in various ways. Electrical outlets throughout, with it's own panel, so it can run a fair amount of things that I may need (like my fridge for aging deer, that now can be used to keep water and such cold for when I need a break from working out there).

So to my mind, my next logical step is to get the tools I'm going to need. Is there a list anywhere of a good basic, "here's what you need to get going" tools?

I'm gonna have a jillion questions as I progress, but I figured I better start looking for the tools I'll need. I'd love to be selecting blanks and barrels and such next week when I'm at Lewisburg PA for the 18th Century Artisan show, but I'm not there yet.

Besides, I have Dixon's a real short car ride away, and I'm sure I can find wood, barrels, etc there when I'm ready. :)

Thanks....and a big thank you for this forum. This has given me hours of reading, and more to do. :)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Getting started....where to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Just curious, is your shed heated?I thought about doing something with my shed to make a proper work area for these endeavors but kinda nixed the idea for now.I found not having stable temps played heck on wood as well as metal rusting prematurely. I'm sure someone with a similar work area will chime in.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
It isn't, and that's a potential point of concern. I use a kerosene heater when I'm out there working in the colder months.

I've thought of having a wood stove installed at some point, but that won't do anything to stabilize temps nor humidity out there.

I could try to make a setup in my basement, but I think I might catch some flack from the household management over the mess and eventually smells of stock finishes and such. 

With an electric panel in it, I guess I could look into a heating solution for it.....and it has hung windows in it that I could use to mount a window AC unit for the summer.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
I built my first rifle from a blank using a Black and Decker workmates vise on the kitchen floor. I did have access to a bandsaw but that was about it.  Good lighting is about the most important thing in my estimation.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
My shop is in an outbuilding heated with potbelly stove only when I am working. I don't experience any big problems, it is dry and up off the ground. Only problem is it does take a little while to bring the temp up when it is really cold outside. Sometimes on winter evenings I find myself not working in shop because I feel like by the time I get the shop warm it will be bedtime. If it was a regular heated space I might get more shop time in. I do bring rifles inside in cold weather if I am applying finish so they will dry better.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
When I got married we lived in a mobil home (13 years) and I assembled a 10 X 10 foot metal shed to do my work in. I lived in NJ at the time and in the winter it was COLD and in the summer it was HOT in that shed. Since you have a shed and a basement I would do the "dirty" / "messy" work in the shed and the "clean" work in the basement.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
Just curious, is your shed heated?I thought about doing something with my shed to make a proper work area for these endeavors but kinda nixed the idea for now.I found not having stable temps played heck on wood as well as metal rusting prematurely. I'm sure someone with a similar work area will chime in.

Joe is right, the wood needs to be kept, not warm, but in a fairly stable environment. Repeated changes in temperature and humidity play the devil with it, and your tools. In my area both the temp and humidity have been all over the map this winter and I've temporarily given up working in my unheated shop. Last winter it was the prolonged cold that interfered with working there. Yeah, heat it, and you too tddeangelo...

You will need a set or full-sized flat chisels, or at least several in sizes 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4 and a half-inch. If you are going from a blank then a band saw is nice, although you can use a hand saw. You will need to know how to sharpen those chisels, any hand tool needing sharpening. Full-sized chisels and my sharpening stuff... you can fabricate the stroping blocks from scrap lumber and leather, use chrome oxide on the leather, rough side up. I use DMT diamond stones for shaping and sharpening.

Various rasps, my collection shows both the useful and not so useful bought over time. The Japanese Iwasaki rasps are super useful (from the right #'s3,4,5,6,7 plus a larger one in the middle)...

Various files are also shown in the above photo. You can't go wrong with Gobet brand swiss files in #2,3,4 cuts, they are not inexpensive but with proper care will last a long time. Of course at ACE hardware you can find the Nicholson brand files too, the brazilian made one's are no good, the files made in their mexican plant are passable but not great. On the left in the photo is a 12" Nicholson Mill Bastard file I use for draw filing barrels. You will need some wet/dry emery paper for metal finishing, back it.

Measuring stuff, squares and such, you'll need some...

Tapping tools, and the proper sized drill bits, the 8/32nd's will see you through.

Enough for now, your tool collection with grow as you encounter the need. Buy the best you can afford, except for the flat chisels, with those some of the less expensive sets are fine, such as the Narex brand. On the other hand if you really want to spend some money buy the expensive stuff. Paul Sellers YouTube video series has some good ones on sharpening tools.

Have all the fun you can.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:52:31 AM »
PPATCH's gathering of tools  is excellent. In fact he's got more stuff than I do And I've been building guns for a living for 21 years. I'd put a small propane heater in your shop just so you can keep it above freezing at night during the winter. Otherwise all your tools are going to rust away. Don't ask me how I know....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:48:11 AM »
...I could try to make a setup in my basement, but I think I might catch some flack from the household management over the mess and eventually smells of stock finishes and such...

Ya never know:  for those very reasons, my "shop" is in my garage... and for all the reasons discussed in this thread, I've found it isn't nearly as satisfactory as originally hoped for.

So, one extra-cool weekend, I moved an old work table into our den, in front of the glass slider door (excellent natural lighting, and at a nice slant to boot), and near the wood stove. 

The Bride is MUCH happier with this arrangement, despite the mess (I do make a sincere effort to limit this), and the associated aromas.  Turns out, she was beginning to feel abandoned, due to all the time I was spending out in the garage...

So now, only the "heavy" work gets done in the garage; anything not requiring machine work or a heavy vice happens in the den, and Management is MUCH happier.

Personal results may vary...

Lew wetzel

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »
Climate control and square feet are key factors to me..don't want to be cramped and a steady temp will reduce many headaches...

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
Tom,

Just one word of caution about heating your workshop.  Have some care if you are using anything that produces vapors that are flammable near a heating device that can ignite them.  A little ventilation is a good plan to avoid a disaster.   

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:19 AM »
Mine is in the basement and the temperature stays about the same all year round.
I have a dehumidifier that keeps the moister down!
http://i63.tinypic.com/16gfxo3.jpg[/img]]
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »
If you're a short ride from Dixons you're also well off.  If you're lucky, both Greg and Chuck will be there.  Try weekly visits.

The videos by Turpin, Gusler, Jack Brooks  and House are worth the investment because you get to pick out some technique  and hear the advice you are given with a finer ear before you start throwing around money.

I own every mistake I ever made and they own every prevention or correction.  That includes the times I practiced on scrap and the times I didn't.

Stay within yourself and stay on the forum.  Some guys swear by starting with kits and others would rather die first.  I've only done one gun from a stock blank and have been fortunate enough not to waste a lot of time or materials because I know I should not go beyond the kit for now and have a big ear for  the assistance of other people.  You'll either get a sense of  relief because you prevented a mistake or you'll learn to forgive yourself when you make one that almost everybody else has made.   Half the fun in this is listening to or reading through those who do this for a living.

Patience, patience, patience.

Don't shoot yore eye out kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
I don't have a dedicated gun building bench. I have a 4' long piece of LVL with a small vice on the right and a little sliding jack stand to the left. I simply clamp this to the top of my joiner's bench for gun work. When I'm done or need my bench for other work, I move it out of the way. I really like this arrangement.
I remember what it felt like to want to get started on my first gun but also being gripped with fear of screwing it up or not having adequate tools.
This forum is a tremendous resource. I just recently went back to the beginning of the gun building section and scanned and read posts for the third time. Of course I haven't read every response to every post, but there is SO MUCH information and input.
It was encouraging to me to see questions from "Newbies" who I now consider to be accomplished builders.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
Regarding the shop, I have an area in the basement that I use. Finishing is done in the unheated garage so odors don't get into the house. This means that I have to wait for warmer weather to do this, so it is a compromise. I thought about a separate building for a shop but I didn't want to pay to heat it continuously nor did I want to have to wait for it to get up to temperature when I did want to use it.

Regarding tools, I would caution you that you don't have to buy them all at once.

Dixon's is a good resource as is this website. I assume we will seeing you at the Gunmakers Fair in July. Lots of good seminars and people to talk to and guns to drool over. By then you may be ready to buy some parts and there are plenty to chose from.

Dale H

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:57:22 PM »
  This might not be great advice. Almost all my tools have come from estate sales. Found that I can acquire really good tools for next to little. Just a thought. Hardly anyone buys hand tool's anymore so they are cheap.  Personally I like my basement shop set up the best. So does the boss. I second PPatch tool set up. Pretty much covers everything you need to build. Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
I do all my finish application in the house where it is a constant temperature and is dust free. My wife only commented once about the smell. I explained what she smelled was the smell of money. Never had another comment about the smell of finish. ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:26:26 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
I am with Oldtravler. Very few of my tools were bought new. Most came from antique stores, flea market etc. at a fraction of cost of new and often better quality than is available now. Some caution is needed, I only buy tools In good condition or ones I am am sure I can repair.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
Regarding the shop, I have an area in the basement that I use. Finishing is done in the unheated garage so odors don't get into the house. This means that I have to wait for warmer weather to do this, so it is a compromise. I thought about a separate building for a shop but I didn't want to pay to heat it continuously nor did I want to have to wait for it to get up to temperature when I did want to use it.

Regarding tools, I would caution you that you don't have to buy them all at once.

Dixon's is a good resource as is this website. I assume we will seeing you at the Gunmakers Fair in July. Lots of good seminars and people to talk to and guns to drool over. By then you may be ready to buy some parts and there are plenty to chose from.

Dale H

Started going to the gunmakers' fair around 2011 or so and haven't missed it since!

Thank you ALL for all the input. Lots to digest....