Author Topic: hawken fore end questtion  (Read 2749 times)

Offline RichG

hawken fore end questtion
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:29 AM »
first Hawken build. should front tang of trigger plate be on same plane as tang off entry thimble? mine appears to be about .100" different. a straight edge placed on trigger plate along for end shows trigger plate parallel to entry thimble tang but shows a gap between straight edge and thimble. deepen inlet on trigger plate? Blend the wood between trigger and entry thimble? 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: hawken fore end questtion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »
Any forearm that does not taper somewhat from under the lock to the entry thimble will usually look blocky.
Andover, Vermont

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
first Hawken build. should front tang of trigger plate be on same plane as tang off entry thimble? mine appears to be about .100" different. a straight edge placed on trigger plate along for end shows trigger plate parallel to entry thimble tang but shows a gap between straight edge and thimble. deepen inlet on trigger plate? Blend the wood between trigger and entry thimble? 

Working to shape a hawken style stock you have likely discovered, as I have,  that they are sculpture from one end to the other, that in every case the various elements, the defining architectural features, flow from one area to the next all along the stock very gracefully. There is nothing to "stop the eye" from one end to the other. 

There are two areas that "are there, but not there," that are quite subtle, but that aid in defining the hawken brothers work. One is the very slight step along the bottom of the butt of the stock beginning at the rear trigger guard tang. another is the line along the bottom of the fore end that you have defined in your question. From the front trigger tang (actually it begins under the triggers) to the entry pipe. According to the very experienced ALR member, who is helping me with my build, that line is not straight, that there is a very gradual swelling that peaks about two-thirds along the way from the trigger plate tang, then begins a very subtle downward curve to the entry thimble.

I am not trying to be ambiguous but that is the way it was explained to me. Good luck with your build.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:14 PM »
PPatch very nicely explained,not sure if he's working on a half stock or full.I'm finding as I work my full stock I'm working it from the rear forward keeping one eye on what I'm doing and where I been and the other eye where I'm headed,trying to get that flow,the eye thing is probably the reason for the headache ;)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
PPatch very nicely explained,not sure if he's working on a half stock or full.I'm finding as I work my full stock I'm working it from the rear forward keeping one eye on what I'm doing and where I been and the other eye where I'm headed,trying to get that flow,the eye thing is probably the reason for the headache ;)

Mine is a half-stock Joe, I usually work from the rear forward on any build, just seems natural, I will admit to piddling around in the middle some before actually getting there though.

dave

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:43:26 AM »
I agree with PPatch on the profile of the line running from the front of the trigger plate to the rear entry thimble.  My second rifle was a Hawken half stock, and at the time, I thought it would be easy to build.  Wrong!  They are several subtle characteristics on the original rifles that need to be incorporated into a new build to make it as close to the original.  Sometimes a bit of a drag when doing the work, but well worth the effort when you look at the final product.  Hawken rifles are graceful in their own way.  Good luck with your build. 
                                                                          Roger Sells 

Offline RichG

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:19:23 AM »
I'm using a pre-carve that I picked up for a good price. Fullstock. The stock is flat along for end. To get any kind of swell I'll need to deepen the trigger plate. How much are we talking about? 1/16"-1/8th"?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
I'm using a pre-carve that I picked up for a good price. Fullstock. The stock is flat along for end. To get any kind of swell I'll need to deepen the trigger plate. How much are we talking about? 1/16"-1/8th"?

Sorry Rich, I was explaining about a half-stock forearm. I have not studied nor built a full stocked hawken.

So, never mind...  :D

Good luck with your build in any case.

dave