Author Topic: French dragoon Cavalry pistol  (Read 11657 times)

Lew wetzel

French dragoon Cavalry pistol
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:19 AM »
Any of you ever built the French dragoon Calvary pistol from muzzleloader builders supply..changing direction on my first build after 5yrs hibernation. .like to hear your comments on this kit and any carving and engraving suitable to this style pistol..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:45:39 AM by Lew wetzel »

Offline conquerordie

Re: French dragoon Calvary pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
I've never built that kit, and have only built one pistol from a plank. I found it very enjoyable as the over all size being smaller, you accomplish more quicker. However, I found that a lot of my tools seemed too big for the project, especially while shaping the inside curve of the grip. Also the carving was easier with smaller gouges. So I say take a look at your tools to see of its something you can do with what you have. Just some of my experiences. But I say go for it!
Greg

Lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:07:13 AM »
Good point you made..definitely look at getting some smaller chisels for this build...

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
CALvary, or  CAValry
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine,...sorta like them Hawkin rifles :P
I ask an auctioneer once if the CALVARY saber he had for sale was the one that lopped off the servants ear in the garden.
Just me I guess.                                 Shreck

Lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:23 AM »
That's how they spell it in mbs site..lol..just a beautiful pistol..great design and looks like a fantastic fun to build..my first build in 5 years and rehone my carving and engraving skills...really excited to get started..wish members would post some pics of pistols they have built...carving and engraving on this style pistol

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 02:22:29 AM »
John Robbins

Lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 03:34:31 AM »
Thank you jtr...very informative...

Lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:15:10 AM »
Come on guys let's see those dragoons..I'm sure a few of you have built some...

mountain~plains

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 05:13:42 AM »
I am new to the craft, currently working on a Pedersoli pistol kit. That Dragoon looks like it would be a good second kit for me. Eventually want to work up to building from a plank. Just need the tools, time, patience, experience-slowly getting there.

Lew wetzel

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
Mountain-plains...I've built a few rifles and took some classes...learned some great skills from two very talented builders and just take your time and have patience practice on scrap pieces first..like inletting,carving,and engraving..keep your tools razor sharp..

mountain~plains

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 12:52:44 AM »
Mountain-plains...I've built a few rifles and took some classes...learned some great skills from two very talented builders and just take your time and have patience practice on scrap pieces first..like inletting,carving,and engraving..keep your tools razor sharp..
Thanks Lew, this looks like the best place to be for learning the trade.

Lew wetzel

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 04:37:38 AM »
Think I found the right piece of wood..and looking to gather the rest of the parts..would like to get them through builders on this site..or maybe Reaves goering..lost his contact info..could someone be kind enough to provide me with it again.

Lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 05:22:46 AM »
Ordered my walnut for the dragoon pistol..should get it soon..still looking for a barrel and lock...thanks dennis

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »
Lew,

Do you mean like this?

This is my pistol that nobody likes.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
I like it.  I shoot #4 buckshot in my 20 gauge smooth bore.  I find there is no problem with accuracy.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Lew wetzel

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 04:34:58 AM »
Long john,great looking pistol...and yes that's what I'm building..you have any extra parts you wanna get rid of..

Three balls

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 05:09:06 AM »
Lew,

Do you mean like this?

This is my pistol that nobody likes.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

I like it! I like frogwalking's load. If I had one, nobody would like me or my pistol.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
Nice looking dragoon pistol.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
Not French....but British heavy dragoons built from TRS parts and planks....

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:10:30 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Lew wetzel

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics dave..beautiful pistols...I'm still looking for parts....

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 07:25:22 PM »
Not French....but British heavy dragoons built from TRS parts and planks....

can anyone give me some dimensions on the drop for the pistol grip? Or a schematic with measurements.   I have located some really nice wood and want to have a blank cut but I am not sure if there will be enough material. 

Thanks

Lew wetzel

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Tmerkley...pm sent

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
Taylor and I played with some buck and ball loads from our flint pistols. Mine was .54 & rifled, but at 12 paces, I was getting groups running 8", with the buck shot hitting radially around the round ball, which impacted on the sights.  Lots of fun on silhouette targets.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:23:21 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Lew wetzel

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 02:18:59 AM »
Nice pistols...looking forward to building mine..my brother is also building one..his first build and look forward to spending time with him building and shooting them..this is a great way to spend some quality time with him and have fun ...

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
Lew,

Thank you for the compliment.  It was built as a "fantasy gun".  I imagined a captured and broken French pistol being restocked by an American smith.  I used American walnut for the stock and did my best to imitate an American smith trying to duplicate the engraving he saw on the damaged French parts.  Here are some other photos.

The lock is a small Siler kit from Cambers that was converted to a ca 1750 lock without pan bridle.  The brass castings were from MBS.  I found the brass casting VERY BRITTLE and had to buy two of the butt cap and trigger guard to get one to survive.  The trigger guard in this pistol has three repairs.  the trigger, side plate, ram rod pipes were all shop-made.

It is fun to shot!

Best Regards,

John Cholin