Author Topic: Flint for striker.  (Read 3786 times)

silly goose

Flint for striker.
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:13:09 AM »
Where do you folks get your flint to be used with a striker?  I recently started to learn some blacksmithing skills, and made a couple strikers that turned out pretty decent.  I want  to give them as gifts to some of my outdoor friends and relatives and would like to supply some flint and char clothe with them.  I can make them work with my Siler sized rifle flints, but would like to give a bigger piece of flint to give them something to hold onto.  Would a musket sized flint be any better?   Thanks in advance. 

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Flint for striker.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:43 AM »
If you live in a state where flint is found on the ground, just pick it up and break out a piece that feels right. Another name for it is chert and inside a rocky exterior is a light brown/grey colored rock that the natives used for arrow points, scrapers, cutting tools, etc. This stuff is all over the place here in Texas and I'd send you as many pounds as you want as long as you're willing to pay the postage. First see if there's any chert in your area, then it's free.

http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Flint
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

silly goose

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50:50 AM »
Thank you, sir. I have some on the way, in fact, from Texas. 

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »
If able to attend a flint knapping event, flakes are plentiful. I ask before I fill my pockets, but flint flakes can be found around the chairs, in the area, that demonstrations are being held. Hope this helps.

Mathrojd

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:18:48 AM »
You can use any rock the hardest of 8, fools gold, if you want to be a rick striker.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
Neolithics.com sells the blades/flakes by the pound.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:51:48 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
Get to know flint knappers near you, they make piles of shards. Gunflints work great too.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
I supply flint shards for flint and steel. PM me if interested. Can put together a box of 50 or 75 good pieces each with sharp edges.
Andover, Vermont