Author Topic: A source for blades?  (Read 3195 times)

magyar

A source for blades?
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »
Afternoon folks. I have some antlers laying around and would like to use one as a handle for a "rifleman's knife. " But have had little luck in finding a blade that is not of mass produced cheap steel. And even then, the profile I am looking for was just not there. If anyone has or knows of, a good place for quality blades to go towards this style of knife, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Offline FDR

Re: A source for blades?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:51:09 AM »
Check "Jantz Supply".  And remember "you get what you pay for".

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:54 AM »
"Rifleman's knife," being more or less a modern pseudo-retro thing, is a rather ambiguous designation. What blade profile are you looking for, exactly? Track of the Wolf has a variety of clip-point bowie knife blades...No idea of the quality, though.

Edited to add:

Also this guy: http://pioneerarms.com/ticonderoga_knife_and_blades.html
No idea as to the quality of the blade, but I will note that the complete knife is significantly different from the original (to wit, the original had no guard, the tang was not peened, had a bone or antler handle, and had a slenderer profile with a bit more banana-shape.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:46:23 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
if you draw me a pattern I can forge a nice one for you.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
you can also check thrift stores etc. for old carbon steel butcher knives and reshape them to your liking.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:23:29 AM »
you can also check thrift stores etc. for old carbon steel butcher knives and reshape them to your liking.

Unless those you find end up being very old English butcher knives that are worth more left as is.  ;D
This happened to me.
Psalms 144

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54:14 AM »
Green River blades from TOW are thin and pretty plain, but the sharpest knife on the place is usually made with one of these blades.  They are easy to sharpen, stay sharp, and can be blued or browned easily.  They are also cheap, which I like.  They do make a very nice patch knife shaped blade.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.