Author Topic: ?? Gunmaker BN Lawrence from WIS ??  (Read 4003 times)

1861Sniper

?? Gunmaker BN Lawrence from WIS ??
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:22:37 AM »
 I found an old rifle in a pawn shop which has no known history. It does have name "B.N. Lawrence" and "WIS" stamped on barrel behind rear sight. It's a heavy oct bull barrel w/ 30 cal bore. Single trigger percussion. It's definitely an older target gun in aged dark cherry or walnut w/ German silver furniture incl patchbox and inletted designs. Steel loading rod under barrel.
 Well used as nipple is badly corroded (from mercury caps likely) and inlets at wrist have all detail worn away, but not bad condition overall.
  I am trying to determine if gunmaker is noted and if so what era the rifle is from. I can only assume WIS is Wisconsin unless someone knows otherwise. No seriel # was evident but I did not remove barrel or lock to look deeper. It will likely end up coming home w/ me but I would like to know more if I can.
 ANY leads would be welcome.. Thanks, DOC TX

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: ?? Gunmaker BN Lawrence from WIS ??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »
The most extensive list of gunmakers in print is "American Gunsmiths" by Sellers, now in second edition. There is no listing for a "B.N. Lawrence" though there are many other Lawrences. Perhaps the initials are other than "B.N.". Photos might help or send your pictures to the Museum and Library listed below and we can attempt to identify the gun for you. Be sure to photograph the barrel signature as well as the gun. Send to parifles@eartlink.net
Sorry I could not help more.
Hurricane

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:22:53 AM »
I just did a cenus search and found him. He is listed in the 1880 census as a gunsmith in River Falls, Pierce County, Wisconsin. His name was Benjamin Lawrence. He was 53 years old, born in Vermont. His wife Susan was 49, born in New York. He had three children, Frank, age 14; Emma, age 11; and William, age 9. All three were born in Wisconsin, indicating that he was there at least as early as 1866, although I did not find him in the 1870 census. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:25:58 AM by Curt J »

1861Sniper

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
 Thank You Curt, You have given me a great bit of help.  I hope to purchase this rifle next month as I pass that way again. Sounds like I may have access to a deal I shouldn't pass on.
  I do appreciate all that info.
  DOC

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:37:11 AM »
Always glad to help with research on gunmakers, Sniper! After you get it, why don't you submit some pictures for our  ALR Virtual  Library & Museum?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:38:29 AM by Curt J »

Jammin Jim

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
There used to be a couple of firearms Mr. Lawrence fabricated on display in the River Falls museum, (last time I was there was 1995) this might help your hunt for more information on his work.