Author Topic: Swelling out dings in Walnut!  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Swelling out dings in Walnut!
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:39 AM »
No problem doing this on stock with no finish.  I can't recall any water stains on doing this on a stock that has the finish completed (Ol Tyme B linseed oil)

Has anyone done this after the night time gremlins dig their little heels in your finished rifle ???  What were the results on a couple or three qt in in dia dings (not gouges).  Did it leave a water mark??
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:31:07 AM by Roger Fisher »

projeeper

Re: Swelling out dings in Walnut!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:57:34 AM »
i would cover the dings with a kitchen towel get mom,s iron good and hot set it on steam and give it a couple of shots.thats if it,s a hunting gun if it,s a high end custom gun i don,t know.the beauty of an oil finish is that if you do get water marks you can feather them out with 4/0 steel wool and apply new oil and its good as new

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
No problem doing this on stock with no finish.  I can't recall any water stains on doing this on a stock that has the finish completed (Ol Tyme B linseed oil)

Has anyone done this after the night time gremlins dig their little heels in your finished rifle ???  What were the results on a couple or three qt in in dia dings (not gouges).  Did it leave a water mark??

I have never had anything that caused a problem. If you get some hazy looking discoloration leave it over night will likely go away if its linseed oil or mostly linseed.
But I do not do built up finishes ether.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:57:53 AM »
I have removed dings in a couple of walnut rifles using an iron and wet dish cloth.  I do get a slight gray discoloration in that area, but I steel wooled the location and rubbed finish on it afterwards and it looked good. In these instances, the fiber of the wood was not cut, just dinged in.
                                                                   Roger

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »
Thank you all!